Windows 10: ProgramData Folder Not Hidden

Discus and support ProgramData Folder Not Hidden in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; So I have 2 Windows 10 build 1709 machines. One I just noticed that the ProgramData folder is not hidden. I tried to hide it, but it just will not. I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by AirPower4ever, Jan 9, 2018.

1. ProgramData Folder Not Hidden

So I have 2 Windows 10 build 1709 machines. One I just noticed that the ProgramData folder is not hidden. I tried to hide it, but it just will not. I checked the settings and properties against my good machine and it all lines up except for not being hidden.

Is there a special way to hide this folder?

Thanks

:)

AirPower4ever, Jan 9, 2018
  2. auggy Win User

Microsoft Services stopped on msconfig

Hi,

Can you check if the following folder exists:

C:\ProgramData\AVAST Software\Avast

The ProgramData is a "hidden" folder so make sure you are showing "Hidden items":

https://support.microsoft.com/en-ca/help/14201/...

If that folder exists can you locate the following file in the folder:

EmailShield.ini

auggy, Jan 9, 2018
  3. Turning off Windows Event Log and removing a .evtx file.

ExternalLogs is a hidden folder. To view this folder, go through the folder options, uncheck the hidden and system files options, and navigate to the following path:

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Event Viewer\ExternalLogs

Jennifer Bri, Jan 9, 2018
  4. topgundcp Win User

ProgramData Folder Not Hidden

Did you use Folder Options ? or just the Properties
    Double check if it set as shown below:

ProgramData Folder Not Hidden [​IMG]

topgundcp, Jan 9, 2018
  5. Thanks topgundcp. The options are checked just like in the pic, but the folder is not hidden

AirPower4ever, Jan 10, 2018
  6. Edwin New Member
    Right click ProgramData folder, choose Properties:

ProgramData Folder Not Hidden [​IMG]

Edwin, Jan 10, 2018
  7. I do this, but when the "scan" is done the folder stays unhidden. When I go back to the properties the Hidden check is off again. Not sure why it is doing what it is doing.

8. ProgramData Folder Not Hidden

Are you logged in as Administrator when you make the changes and then reboot?

Jack

Layback Bear, Jan 10, 2018
  9. Yes. Even after reboot it still is not hidden. Thanks for the help so far everyone

EDIT: Well now this gets really weird. So the wife shows up asking what I am doing. I have a thread started about how Safe Mode does not work. While I was in the Control panel I clicked on System and Security and then when I click Administrative Tools I got a blank page.

So then I closed that and went to boot into Safe Mode. Low and behold that worked. WT!! So in Safe Mode I went to the ProgramData folder and did the instructions and it was hidden. Rebooted and back to her account. Still hidden. I unhid it and there it was and then I hid it and there it went away. So now it is working.

But the new issues are these
    Administrative Tool now shows icons, but they are greyed out.

When trying to search for the "Snipping Tool" it finds it, but it will not launch. I can click on it or pressing Enter, nothing and the search just sits there.

Start a new thread for all this?

10. Bree New Member
    It's probably a permissions thing. I've noticed before that there are some actions in File Manager where you should get asked to provide administrator privileges before completing the action, but you never get the popup so it it doesn't take - this is probably one of those cases.

Try it from a Command Prompt (Admin). The command to type is:

ATTRIB C:\ProgramData +H

11. Bree New Member
    When you hid ProgramData, did you apply changes to 'this folder, subfolders and files' or just 'this folder only'?

The correct action would have been 'this folder only'. On my system none of the files/folders in ProgramData are hidden, just the top level folder. Check this for yourself on your 'good machine'.

12. Well, I just read up on that upgrade, but save your data so I did that and all is fine now. Thanks everyone for their inputs

AirPower4ever, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

ProgramData Folder Not Hidden

1. ProgramData Folder Not Hidden - Similar Threads - ProgramData Folder Hidden

2. Unable to hide the ProgramData folder

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Unable to hide the ProgramData folder: I had to unhide the ProgramData folder while attempting to solve an issue, but it turned out to be something else entirely, so now I'm trying to rehide it. However, after going into the properties menu, clicking on the 'hidden' box and pressing apply, nothing changes. It acts...
  3. Unable to hide the ProgramData folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to hide the ProgramData folder: I had to unhide the ProgramData folder while attempting to solve an issue, but it turned out to be something else entirely, so now I'm trying to rehide it. However, after going into the properties menu, clicking on the 'hidden' box and pressing apply, nothing changes. It acts...
  4. Found some hidden folders with random letters in ProgramData on C:

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Found some hidden folders with random letters in ProgramData on C:: I was just checking through my program data for deleting something, and that's when I found 4 hidden folders, each with short, random letters, and they have nothing inside. Are these folders created by malware? Can I delete them?...
  5. Found some hidden folders with random letters in ProgramData on C:

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Found some hidden folders with random letters in ProgramData on C:: I was just checking through my program data for deleting something, and that's when I found 4 hidden folders, each with short, random letters, and they have nothing inside. Are these folders created by malware? Can I delete them?...
  6. Folders in ProgramData: Are this folders safe?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Folders in ProgramData: Are this folders safe?: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/Kriger369 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/jd45d3/folders_in_programdata_are_this_folders_safe/
  7. AppData and ProgramData are they now hidden??

AppData and ProgramData are they now hidden??: Hello in the past, I was able to open and inspect files in AppData Roaming and ProgramData folders on C:\Users\.... These two folder destinations are not there anymore BUT until the last update. They were in the directory for years, and I need to access AppData Roaming for...
  8. Hidden ProgramData missing from File Explorer

Hidden ProgramData missing from File Explorer: After update to the latest Windows 10 build 1809, this folder completely gone. Do I have any virus or anyone have solution how to get it back? Thanks![ATTACH]...
  9. HIDDEN hidden folders

in Windows 10 Support
    HIDDEN hidden folders: I was doing backing up of certain files, reg files in particular (take ownership, add copyto, etc) I was using "everything" programs which lists files on all drives. I came across one reg disableanti.reg in a very odd place.I viewed the file in note pad and it said it...
  10. Can't see ProgramData folder

in Windows 10 Support
    Can't see ProgramData folder: The ProgramData folder is not displayed in Explorer. I can search for programs that currently exist in this directory but can't access it. Any clues or how to proceed? 34884

Users found this page by searching for:

1. program data hidden

2. ProgramData not hidden