Windows 10: Programs and Drives Disappeared After Update

Discus and support Programs and Drives Disappeared After Update in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hello Everyone, As the title suggests, I recently tried to complete a windows update. The update failed multiple times before it eventually applied.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by austinschilling, Dec 1, 2019.

1. Programs and Drives Disappeared After Update

Hello Everyone,

As the title suggests, I recently tried to complete a windows update. The update failed multiple times before it eventually applied. Once I restarted my pc, I noticed the boot time was considerably slower than usual as my main boot drive is from an SSD.

In addition, once windows eventually loaded, all my desktop icons were gone, I cant access file explorer, none of the keyboard shortcuts to launch command prompt or to launch other windows is functional.

Is there anything I can do to uninstall this update or more importantly, restore access to my drives?

Thank You!!

Just a quick update, I was able to get access to the cmd prompt by holding shift and clicking restart to access the trouble shooting menu. It looks like the most recent update that was applied was on 9/30/2019, it was KB4513661 and KB4515383.

Can I uninstall these updates or should i try to do a system restore?

:)

austinschilling, Dec 1, 2019
  2. 3Colors Win User

Windows Updated(16299.309).KB4088776 Restart is required to complete.

Hi dalchina. Good news, I followed your suggestion and reinstalled the update and now it appears as "installed correctly" *Biggrin Maybe it was not necessary to run the Windows Update Troubleshooter or maybe if necessary. But using it I do not think it could have worsened something. The installation was very fast, unlike the first time it showed step 1 and step 2 completed.

Thanks for the suggestions and for the time to respond Programs and Drives Disappeared After Update :) Best regards.

And thanks for the tip of that program, I'll have it on my list.

3Colors, Dec 1, 2019
  3. Why did the startup window get cleared?

I didn't missed any step, the list was gone and gone , even after using lot of programs the programs were not listed in that list.

smartali89, Dec 1, 2019
  4. C_C
    c_C Win User

Programs and Drives Disappeared After Update

DVD Drive issues.

The games used to run, now apparently the disks don't even read.

Go to Device Manager and remove the DVD
    Scan for hardware changes and update driver as OS suggests

Still not working?

1) Clean the heads.
    2) Run a diagnostic program on the drive.

Nothing else has changed about your system aside from the OS?

Revert to XP Home, assuming you don't find the source of the problem in steps above.

Thema:

Programs and Drives Disappeared After Update

1. Programs and Drives Disappeared After Update - Similar Threads - Programs Drives Disappeared

2. My D Drive disappeared after an Update

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    My D Drive disappeared after an Update: Hello, Please suggest me solution regarding the issue I am facing with my Laptop. all of a sudden my D Drive got disappearedplease help with proper solution. my laptop got the new update and after update I am facing this issue....
  3. Hard drive disappeared after a windows update

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Hard drive disappeared after a windows update: Last night I shut down my laptop and it said it had an update that it had to do before it shut down, then the next morning when I turned on my laptop my hard drive was completely gone I watched some tutorials on how to fix it but most of the tutorials required disk management...
  4. D Drive disappear after window update.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    D Drive disappear after window update.: After the update, D drive disappear and I can no longer access to it. I have tried several trouble-shooting methods mentioned in this forum but none of it can apply to it. For example, rescanning it in disk management and reallocation. [ATTACH]...
  5. My internal drives disappeared after the update.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    My internal drives disappeared after the update.: So after the update, my drives disappeared. They were there for a while when I first rebooted after the update. I watched a movie, played games and everything was cool. Then, I watched another movie and upon closing my screen froze and my mouse started moving randomly, in...
  6. Hard drive disappeared after Windows update

Hard drive disappeared after Windows update: I recently updated my desktop to Windows 10 Pro 1903 from 1803. I was having some issues so I updated it using the Media Creation Tool on a USB, I booted using the USB and decided to reinstall Windows only (the other option was to upgrade but that wasn't applicable at the...
  7. After computer update, program files disappeared.

After computer update, program files disappeared.: My computer automatically updated a couple of days ago. However, my program files are not in my C drive? How can I locate them? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/after-computer-update-program-files-disappeared/7dd22f06-a155-43f2-bc91-5c080609e461"
  8. After Windows 10 update, some programs disappeared

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    After Windows 10 update, some programs disappeared: I have an issue with Windows 10 update. The problem is in disappearing software that I have installed on my system before. My laptop is completely new, I bought it a few days ago. I installed several programs and started to update Windows. Imagine my shock when I didn’t find...
  9. pinned programs disappeared after rebooting

in Windows 10 Customization
    pinned programs disappeared after rebooting: After October update my programes that I pinned to the start menu have disappeared. I’ve noticed this issue after rebooting my device https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/pinned-programs-disappeared-after-rebooting/f16c40f5-19d7-421a-8c11-151b6fae5fd2
  10. programs disappeared ater update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    programs disappeared ater update: There have been three updates, May and 2 in June. One of them removed my program Printmaster 18.1. When I tried to reinstall, nothing. It is as if there is nothing in the disc tray. Have done everything humanly possible. If I uninstall the updates will that fix the problem,...