Windows 10: Programs are opening automatically after reboot

Discus and support Programs are opening automatically after reboot in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Since Fall Creators Update, Windows remembers which applications were open at the time of system shutdown, and launches them automatically at system... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by shmu26, Nov 4, 2017.

1. shmu26 Win User

Programs are opening automatically after reboot

Since Fall Creators Update, Windows remembers which applications were open at the time of system shutdown, and launches them automatically at system startup.
    How can I disable this behavior?

:)

shmu26, Nov 4, 2017

2. Default Program Resetting Automatically

The Default Program for opening Images and PDF are changing automatically to Microsoft default (Paint 3D and Edge).

But I need these files to be opened with third party applications. If I reset the default program to my desired application in settings, It will be changed. But after some time or after reboot It will changing to Microsoft application as default!

Pretty Illusions, Nov 4, 2017
  3. Ken Blake Win User
    How to safely delete Temp files in Windows 10?

They all can, and should be, deleted periodically.

The temp folder provides workspace for programs. Programs can create temporary files there for their own temporary use. Each program should delete all its temporary files when it closes, but for various reasons it doesn't always happen (for example,
    if the program crashes, it never gets to do this). That's why it's a good idea to periodically clean out anything left there.

Also note that there are some program installations which work in two steps. The first step concludes by writing temporary files and rebooting. The second step starts automatically after rebooting and needs to find those files there (and then deletes
    them when it's done).

Other than doing it automatically when rebooting (that would interfere with installations like the kind I described), it's always safe to delete the contents of the temp folder. Because it's safe to delete any temp files that aren't open and in use
    by an application, and since Windows won't let you delete open files, it's safe to (try to) delete them at any time. If any fail to delete because they're open, they'll either be deleted automatically when the app using them closes, or you'll get them the
    next time you delete manually.

Some people may suggest that you reboot before deleting anything, but that's not necessary, for the reason described above (on the other hand, it doesn't hurt to do it).

Ken Blake, Nov 4, 2017
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Hello shmu26, *Smile

The best way would be to close all apps before shutting down.

One workaround would be to press an hold the Shift key while clicking on Shut down in the power menu.

Another option is the Shut down context menu below to make it easier to shut down how you want.

*Arrow Add Shut down Context Menu in Windows 10 Customization Tutorials

Brink, Nov 4, 2017
Thema:

1. Programs are opening automatically after reboot - Similar Threads - Programs are opening

2. Opening and Closing Programs at Night Automatically.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Opening and Closing Programs at Night Automatically.: Hi there. I run a ServerPC 24/7 in my home and I use it in the day for GameServers. At night It's on and serving no function so I thought it might be fun to run a Bitcoin Miner on it at night only. How would I make my NiceHash Mining Program Open at Midnight and Close at 8AM....
  3. Computer automatically restarting upon opening a program

Computer automatically restarting upon opening a program: Hello everyone! I have recently upgraded my computer to an AMD 5800x from an i7 7700k. As soon as I did that my Windows started black screening and restarting anytime I try to open a game or program. I already reinstalled windows and the issue persisted. If anyone has an idea...
  4. Automatic switch to newly opened folder/program

Automatic switch to newly opened folder/program: Hi everyone! Can this automatic switch and focus on a newly opened folder/program be turned off? It could be really useful to me to make them start in the background rather then popping up on top of everything. Or any tweak to prioritize selected programs to always be on top?...
  5. Automatic repair not appearing after reboot

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Automatic repair not appearing after reboot: I bought a Dell laptop in March 2020 and it worked for 10 days. Then I got the message the stop code BAD SYSTEM CONFIG INFO and ended up in the automatic reboot mode. I tried fixing it. I tried a system restore since there were no files on the laptop to speak of. This came...
  6. Newly opened programs automatically go to the back

in Windows 10 Customization
    Newly opened programs automatically go to the back: Hi, I've tried Googling my issue but I think due to me having difficulty on describing my problem, I'm not able to find a solution. Basically, any time I open a new program and try to access it via the Taskbar, it automatically disappears and hides behind any other programs...
  7. programs open automatically in windows 10

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    programs open automatically in windows 10: when i start my windows 10. sometimes programs like microsoft office,windows exploer opens automatically. even sometimes it opens google chrome and youtube video starts playing. please help...
  8. pinned programs disappeared after rebooting

in Windows 10 Customization
    pinned programs disappeared after rebooting: After October update my programes that I pinned to the start menu have disappeared. I’ve noticed this issue after rebooting my device https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/pinned-programs-disappeared-after-rebooting/f16c40f5-19d7-421a-8c11-151b6fae5fd2
  9. Automatically open programs on seperate desktop at startup

in Windows 10 Support
    Automatically open programs on seperate desktop at startup: Hello all. I was wondering if it is possible if I can have specific programs launched at startup , and have them placed on another virtual desktop (i.e Desktop 2) . In my scenario , I have to manually launch all my hardware monitoring utilities and move them to Desktop 2 ,...
  10. Does automatic restart after updates close open programs correctly?

in Windows 10 Support
    Does automatic restart after updates close open programs correctly?: Say I have Firefox open, and updates come in that require a reboot, and my downtime is after 5PM, and I'm not at the computer, and Windows decides to reboot by itself. Does Windows close Firefox correctly like a person would if they were done with it, and click the X button...