Windows 10: Programs cannot edit/create files under user directory, why?

Discus and support Programs cannot edit/create files under user directory, why? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I recently did a clean install of Windows. I messed with a bunch of settings. I used powershell to disable some things. I do not remember all the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by secureusername, Feb 15, 2019.

1. Programs cannot edit/create files under user directory, why?

I recently did a clean install of Windows. I messed with a bunch of settings. I used powershell to disable some things. I do not remember all the changes and cannot recount them all. I do not know if I messed something up or if something got corrupted or what. When I run games now, they cannot make saves in the my documents folder. For example, Witcher 3 does nothing when I try to save. No file is created. When I run Vortex mod manager, it cannot edit ini files in /Users/.../Documents/My Games/Skyrim/.

It is getting to the point where most programs are not functional because they are denied permission. I have made sure that the folders have appropriate permissions. My account is an admin. I am using no antivirus. Windows Defender is currently off. I genuinely have no idea what the problem is, and I really need help.

:)

secureusername, Feb 15, 2019
  2. 95Viper Win User
    95Viper, Feb 15, 2019
  3. Drone Win User
    Directory Size Utility

First of all nice utility, Mindweaver!
    Second of all, it's so nice to see that this section ain't dead.

I have a few questions/suggestions, maybe you'd want to see ...
    • maybe you rename Get Folder button caption to something more intuitive? Add Folder, Get Folder Size, Check Folder Size or something like that?
    • Could you add subfolder files to the right pane? (it can be a tickbox with include sub dirs)
    • maybe you also add export list to excel?
    • there's delete file button maybe you add delete folder button too?
    • and finally maybe you can add UP button for directories?

Drone, Feb 15, 2019
  4. Programs cannot edit/create files under user directory, why?

Directory Size Utility

New! Directory Size Utility BETA v1.2

Change Log v1.2
    • Resolved an issue were the "Delete file", "Sort by Size", and "Export file" buttons would run into the "About" button and cause the "Directory Size Utility" to crash.
    • New right click menu("Get folder...", "Open folder") for folder list.
    • New right click menu("Launch file", "Delete file") for file list.
    • Aligned total folder size at the bottom to center the program.
    • Double clicking the file in file list will now launch the file.
    Download here!

Mindweaver, Feb 15, 2019
Thema:

Programs cannot edit/create files under user directory, why?

1. Programs cannot edit/create files under user directory, why? - Similar Threads - Programs cannot edit

2. Can not reset User's Password and Cannot create user in Active directory

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can not reset User's Password and Cannot create user in Active directory: HelloWe have 3 Domain Controllers. DC1 Central DC , DC2 ADC , DC3 ADCFSMO roles are shown belowSchema master -DC1 Domain naming master -DC1PDC -DC3 RID pool manager -DC3Infrastructure master -DC2We can password reset and also can create new user in AD DC2. DC2 server is...
  3. Can not reset User's Password and Cannot create user in Active directory

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can not reset User's Password and Cannot create user in Active directory: HelloWe have 3 Domain Controllers. DC1 Central DC , DC2 ADC , DC3 ADCFSMO roles are shown belowSchema master -DC1 Domain naming master -DC1PDC -DC3 RID pool manager -DC3Infrastructure master -DC2We can password reset and also can create new user in AD DC2. DC2 server is...
  4. Fix Error 0x80070052, The directory or file cannot be created

in Windows 10 News
    Fix Error 0x80070052, The directory or file cannot be created: [ATTACH]If when attempting to copy files to a removable media like a flash drive or external HDD, and you encounter the copy operation error message The directory or file cannot be created with accompanying error code 0x80070052, then this post is intended to help you with...
  5. Windows Home faisl to create specific user's directory and files for a new user I created...

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows Home faisl to create specific user's directory and files for a new user I created...: Hi, I have Window home and aw local user with administrative rights. When creating a new user, no file for that new user appear in c:\users, even though this new user appears in the "users" subdirectory of the "Control Panel" . When this new user clicks on "Change my...
  6. Program Files Directory W10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Program Files Directory W10: Hello The C Dr. on my one year old Dell laptop is too full to download new programs. The laptop is only used for my work as a musician but the programs I do use are quite large. I followed instructions from another thread in this forum to change the program files...
  7. program Files directory problem

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    program Files directory problem: Hello Sir ...... one month month before i have changed my windows instrallation file directory through registry from C drive to D drive. after that i cant update my pc. now i want to go back to the previous file instrallation directory D to C drive........ but when i go to...
  8. Directory size of user folder under-reported in "Properties"

in Windows 10 Support
    Directory size of user folder under-reported in "Properties": I'm trying to ascertain the size of my User folder. Right clicking on C:\Users\myusername directory shows 297 GB, however, I know it is much larger than that; a certain folder within my User folder, for example, is over 400GB. I believe the size of my User folder is actually...
  9. Installing software - cannot write to Program Files directory

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Installing software - cannot write to Program Files directory: Trying to install a .jar program. At the installation path selection stage I get the message 'This directory can not be written! Please choose another directory!' when I try and proceed. (This is when saving in Program Files. Googling has led me to believe it is something...
  10. "cannot create file" in programs folder

in Windows 10 Support
    "cannot create file" in programs folder: I'm new to Windows 10 and I'm installing some of my software. I came across this error today running Audio Identifier: The Application encountered an error! (cannot create file "C:\Program Files (x86)\Audio Identifier\settings.xml". Access is denied. I'm guessing it...