Windows 10: Programs can't open windows but consume resources in Task Manager.

Discus and support Programs can't open windows but consume resources in Task Manager. in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hello! Recently I've been running into issues where certain programs can consume resources in the background, but can't actually open windows or... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by FrozenSnep, Feb 19, 2019.

1. Programs can't open windows but consume resources in Task Manager.

Hello! Recently I've been running into issues where certain programs can consume resources in the background, but can't actually open windows or function as they should. If I click on one of these programs' icons, the little blue wheel appears on the cursor for a moment, then disappears. Nothing else happens visually, but a look at Task Manager reveals the process running in the background. I've only discovered this with Civilization V, Krita, and Mypaint. This is a new issue for me, haven't encountered it in the past. I am running the latest version of Windows 10. I have tried reinstalling the broken apps, but the problem persists with them. Any help would be appreciated!

:)

FrozenSnep, Feb 19, 2019
  2. Tonys317 Win User

Windows Locking Up, Runs Slow - Resources stolen; Task Manager Problem

Hi!
    (i5, Windows 10, 8mb Ram)

I've talked to Microsoft who took control of my computer and did some very basic trouble shooting. I also posted on a well know forum to check me for Maleware. I am over 3 weeks into this problem. I am still not convinced it is not maleware. However, the forum that helped me is very reliable. Microsoft really did nothing - generic fixes found via google search.

My computer is slowing down, lagging or simple freezing. On the top left of my browser or "program" on occasion it responds "NOT RESPONDING". When I look at task manager my disk resources are at 100%. Ive done all the steps here
    Windows 10 100% disk usage in Task Manager [SOLVED] - Driver Easy (And will do them again, it seems to be the default fix). This problem especially becomes obvious when I play World Of Warcraft. The game runs VERY slow, I am told it(the game) is not connecting properly to their server. But, the problem happens outside the game. It is like something is hijacking/stealing my resources.

What have I done:
    • Chkdsk/Scandsk
    • Maleware Scan (10+ properly uninstalled & rebooted before trying new ones),
    • Defrag
    • Bought NEW Video card (New Tower)
    • Checked for driver conflicts
    • Updated/Checked Drivers (Slim Driver Program & Bought a Program for this)
    • Ran 5-10 hard drive integrity programs
    • Ran testing on RAM
    • followed default instructions - this disk resource is a known thing with "generic fixes?"
    • Removed Junk/Trash Files (CC Cleaner/Other)
    • Followed ALL instructions on Maleware Removal Forum

This started 4-5 months ago. It is not really getting worse though is more annoying. My entire 'computer' lags. I am not sure where to look for errors (what error logs) or what the cause is. I am not even sure what logs to show you. I am 100% willing to do all the above steps again. With the input/advice of someone.

Tonys317, Feb 19, 2019
  3. Open Task Manager in Windows 10

In tablet mode, long pressing the windows icon in the task bar will pop up (at release) a menu like that in step 4 above. There the Task Manager is available.

None of the above described ways to open the Task Manager seem to work in tablet mode. Does anyone know? I cannot for my life figure it out, either I'm plain stupid or MS is playing tricks on us...
    Thanks.

OppfinnarJocke, Feb 19, 2019
  4. Programs can't open windows but consume resources in Task Manager.

Task manager doesn't update resources on real time

Hi,

It's possible that the Performance window in your Task Manager has been paused. For us to verify this, let's verify if it's really paused or set to a normal speed. Please follow the steps below:

• Right-click on the task bar and click Task Manager.
    • In the Task Manager window, click the Performance tab.
    • At the top, click View.
    • Navigate to Update speed. If it's paused, then click
      Normal. Your Performance tab should now be working.

We're looking forward to your feedback.

Regards.

Vanessa Yar, Feb 19, 2019
Thema:

Programs can't open windows but consume resources in Task Manager.

1. Programs can't open windows but consume resources in Task Manager. - Similar Threads - Programs can't open

2. Can't open task manager

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't open task manager: I installed Bluestacks but it crashed so I want to remove it. However, I can't delete it on the control panel and I can't open task manager to delete it either. I opened the task manager and it shut down on its own, that worries me a lot...
  3. Can't open task manager

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't open task manager: I installed Bluestacks but it crashed so I want to remove it. However, I can't delete it on the control panel and I can't open task manager to delete it either. I opened the task manager and it shut down on its own, that worries me a lot...
  4. Programs not opening but show on task manager

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Programs not opening but show on task manager: This has been persisting on my computer for a while now and it's affecting a few of my applications. When I click on some programs, it just won't open. But I look at task manager and see that it's running in the background.I have looked at many resources about this and tried...
  5. Programs not opening but show on task manager

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Programs not opening but show on task manager: This has been persisting on my computer for a while now and it's affecting a few of my applications. When I click on some programs, it just won't open. But I look at task manager and see that it's running in the background.I have looked at many resources about this and tried...
  6. Programs not opening but show on task manager

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. I can't open Task manager

I can't open Task manager: So yeah, recently I can't open Task manager, I don't really know if this is caused by a virus or not but it happens when I downloaded a file, It isn't very good since I need Task manager to close some of my applications. So if you guys have any solution to this please reply....
  8. Why Desktop Window Manager is consuming so many resources?

Why Desktop Window Manager is consuming so many resources?: Hello everybody.About a few months back I started to notice that Desktop Window Manager started to consume an awful amount of resources, going from 30% use of the primary GPU to 50% and in some brief instances 80%.It was so bad I honestly thought I had a crypto miner running,...
  9. Task Manager program called "Microsoft" consuming 100% RAM and CPU

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Task Manager program called "Microsoft" consuming 100% RAM and CPU: Hello! So, that. There is a program called Microsoft, it is using 100% of the RAM and CPU. If i close it, it comes again. It is an .exe located in the Windows folder on the C drive. Anybody knows what it is? I got it on my new laptop. My other 2 laptops and my PC dont even...
  10. Windows Task Manager can't be opened.

Windows Task Manager can't be opened.: When I use ProcessExplorer and click "Replace Task Manager", Windows Task Manager can't be opened. Though "Taskmgr.exe" isn't have any problems. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-task-manager-cant-be-opened/bac59266-0d8d-4341-87c0-ebbc39e5b223