Windows 10: Programs can't write to Documents folder - Permissions problem?

Discus and support Programs can't write to Documents folder - Permissions problem? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I can't put my finger on what triggered this, but I get an error message whenever a recently installed program tries to write to my Documents folder or... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by mc510, Sep 29, 2018.

1. mc510 Win User

Programs can't write to Documents folder - Permissions problem?

I can't put my finger on what triggered this, but I get an error message whenever a recently installed program tries to write to my Documents folder or Desktop folder (built-in Windows programs and other programs that I installed many months ago do not have this problem).

Wording is different depending on what program, but the gist of it seems to be lack of permission. My account is Administrator. I have no problems in my Documents folder when accessing folder directly through Explorer. I haven't tested every possible folder/program, but did confirm that Handbrake is unable to write to Documents but is able to write to C:/. I seem to not get the error message if I run programs as Administrator.

"Security" tab of "Properties" for folder C:\Users\Me shows that my account has full access.

Any suggestions?

:)

mc510, Sep 29, 2018

2. Downloads folder is the Documents folder

Hi Chris,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I suggest you to Restore to Default the folders and document settings and see if it helps.

Step 1:

Please follow below steps and check if it helps.

• Go to Download folder.
    • Right click on the Download Folder and go to Properties.
    • In Properties go to Location tab.
    • In location Tab Click on Restore Default.

Step 2:

Please follow below steps and check if it helps.

• Go to Documents folder.
    • Right click on the Document folder and go to Properties.
    • In Properties go to Location tab.
    • In location Tab Click on Restore Default.
    After performing above steps change the settings as you required and check if it helps.

Hope these information helps, please get back to us for future support, we’ll be glad to assist you further.

Thank you.

Prabhavathi Patil, Sep 29, 2018
  3. Losing permissions to Documents folder after reboot

This behavior started this morning as far as I have been able to determine. It seems to be only affecting the Documents folder for my machine account. I determined this after I was unable to start Outlook (due to lack of permissions)

• I am using a Microsoft account to log in.
    • I am still shown as the owner of the root user folder, and of the Documents subfolder.
    • I can set myself full access permissions to the Documents folder.
    • After reboot, entire entry for my account disappears from the Documents folder. It still shows in other folders in the user folder.
    My user folder permissions after reboot.

Some screenshots that show the situation after reboot. Note that the Documents folder has only the group permissions, not the user permissions. Again, this only seems to affect the Documents folder under my account.

Programs can't write to Documents folder - Permissions problem? b784b75f-1610-44f4-9274-6ad73ce95224.jpg

Edited to add: I have done malware scans with Defender and Malwarebytes, each came back clean.

SolarWindSurfer, Sep 29, 2018
  4. Programs can't write to Documents folder - Permissions problem?

No permissions

Hi,

I would suggest you to right click on the user's folder for your profile and check if the permissions shows as "read only'. If this is the case, it might be causing the issue. In this case, I would suggest you to go to C:\User folder, right click on the
    folder with your username and follow these steps:

• Open the properties of the main user profile folder where the files are located (such as Documents, Pictures, etc).
    • Go to the Security tab and click Advanced.
    • Check the box at the bottom of this window. It is labeled "Replace all child object permissions with inheritable permissions from this object" and then click Ok.
    This does a one-time action that replaces the security on all the files/subfolders. It’s one-time, so you won’t find that box checked if you peek at it later. Try these steps and let us know the results for further assistance.

Bennet Martin, Sep 29, 2018
Thema:

Programs can't write to Documents folder - Permissions problem?

1. Programs can't write to Documents folder - Permissions problem? - Similar Threads - Programs can't write

2. Documents Folder Problem

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Documents Folder Problem: New computer with Windows 11. I do not want to use OneDrive and I fooled around and moved my Documents folder no, I'm not sure what I did but now some of my software that's supposed to write to the Documents folder isn't working. Can you help me untangle the mess I made?Anita...
  3. Documents Folder Problem

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Documents Folder Problem: New computer with Windows 11. I do not want to use OneDrive and I fooled around and moved my Documents folder no, I'm not sure what I did but now some of my software that's supposed to write to the Documents folder isn't working. Can you help me untangle the mess I made?Anita...
  4. Don't have write access to document folder

in Windows 10 Customization
    Don't have write access to document folder: Idk what is happening. I had my account as the admin and I can see that i have access to writing from the security tab. However, during real experience, it just doesn't allow me to save anything or delete anything from the folder because i apparently "don't have the...
  5. Grant Program Permission to Write Files

in Windows 10 Support
    Grant Program Permission to Write Files: Program is installed, upon first starting files are required to be written but access is not granted and I'm told to check permissions to folder in programdata, I've tried allowing everything but still the program has same error message. 179713
  6. Write permission in System32 folder

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Write permission in System32 folder: I am not able to write to System32 folder, I right click "System32" folder and choose the security tab then choose my session user name and there it is not possible to allow "full control" or "modify" permission, the "allow" and "denied" columns are dimmed so impossible to...
  7. read and write permission problem

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    read and write permission problem: hi all i created a share folder in windows server 2019 for windows 7 and windows 10 client, and assign READ and WRITEcopy and paste, not allow modify and delete permission to this share folder in windows 7 clients, i can save any file to this folder, everything is fine....
  8. Programs / Games missing write permissions?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Programs / Games missing write permissions?: I reinstalled Windows 10 a while ago and its been fine. Since maybe a month ago any recently installed steam games are failing to save their configuration (PoE and M&B2). How can I check what permissions are missing? I've tried: * giving all users except ALL APPLICATION...
  9. Problems with File Read/Write Permissions.

in Windows 10 Support
    Problems with File Read/Write Permissions.: Hello, I just installed the latest build of Windows 10 and am running into some problems that never occurred to me before. My previous version of Windows 10 failed because of some system restore custom app that I downloaded so I had to reinstall. Anyway, I make a clean...
  10. Problem permissions for modify Files on programs folder

in Windows 10 Support
    Problem permissions for modify Files on programs folder: I come from windows 7 and i have not problem to copy delete etc. files on programs. Now every time i search to change file o delete or copy a windows appear ask me a permission... There is a way to disable this warning or ahve full acces to programs ? Thank Hispa 11933

Users found this page by searching for:

1. an app cant read from documents folder windows 10