Windows 10: Programs crash when opened on second monitor.

Discus and support Programs crash when opened on second monitor. in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I'm running a Dual Monitor setup with the extended setting, and it works perfect except for one thing: any program that tries to start itself up on the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by PolarHack, Aug 23, 2020.

1. PolarHack Win User

Programs crash when opened on second monitor.

I'm running a Dual Monitor setup with the extended setting, and it works perfect except for one thing: any program that tries to start itself up on the second screen freezes and doesn't start up. I have no problems moving programs that are already opened around, and can interact with them no problem when I move them to my second monitor, but programs just won't start when opened on my second screen. The only solution I have right now would be to disconnect my monitor, boot up the program, and then move it. I would even be ok with stuff just opening on my main screen and just moving them over when needed, but if I ever close them by accident on my second screen they will continue to try to open on my second screen and continue to freeze over and over again. I checked my graphics card driver, windows update, but nothing has stopped the programs from freezing.

To iterate, I have no problems with programs on my second monitor, except if windows tries to boot them up on the second monitor, in which case they are just frozen and won't respond to anything

:)

PolarHack, Aug 23, 2020

2. Opening programs on second monitor, not main monitor

Ok,

Well I go to display settings, and there is no check box for extend to this monitor. There is however Duplicate displays, Display only 1, or Display only 2. None of which are the correct answer. I go to one and yes the primary monitor box is checked.
    On 2 it is unchecked. This is also how I had it in Windows 7 and 8 / 8.1. It still does not solve programs opening on monitor 1 when I want them to open on monitor 2 because I am busy with something on monitor 1. Never had the issue with Windows 7 or 8
    / 8.1, but I am with Windows 10.

As for the second suggestion, I right clicked on an item in the taskbar and it did not display a move, it just opened up. Again, if I selected it from the taskbar or start menu on the second display it opens up on display 1. This is the behavior that I
    do not want to happen. Why is this so hard to understand. Something important going on with Display 1, need to open up something else, open it on display 2, if I select it from there, not on display one. It then opens on display 1, which then minimizes
    the program that was open on display 1, sometimes closing it out. If I am selecting it from display 2, I want it to open on display 2. I can't have two main monitors. But a feature that worked in previous versions, and worked well, should at least work
    in this version. Otherwise all I can say is that the developers borked that one away. So no the issue is still not fixed, and it is completely pissing me off.

Michael R. Mastro II, Aug 23, 2020
  3. Bakanisan Win User
    Opening programs on second monitor, not main monitor

I know this question was asked. But it was years ago and a lot have changed.

The question was answered in
    this post
    . But it doesn't have all the answer I need.

I want my programs to be opened in the monitor which the taskbar contains them resides on.

Sorry for my english but here's an example:

-I open chrome in monitor 2's taskbar, it stays there. But when I close it and re-open chrome in monitor 1's taskbar, I want it to be in monitor 1, not monitor 2.

Bakanisan, Aug 23, 2020
  4. Vijay B Win User

Opening programs on second monitor, not main monitor

Hi,

Thank you for being a part of Windows 10.

I would suggest you to try the following steps.

1. Right click a free area of the desktop, select "properties"

2. Click the "settings" tab

3. Click the mouse on the seconary monitor grapic,

4. UNCHECK the box "extend my Windows desktop onto this monitor"

5. Click the primary monitor graphic

6. Make sure that "use this device as primary monitor" is CHECKED

If you're not sure which is 1 and which is 2, tap the "identify" button. It should display a huge, gigantic "1" on the primary monitor.

Or if that does not work, right click the application on the Taskbar, click Move, then use the arrow keys to move the program. The mouse cursor locks to the program window and you can use the mouse to position the program
    on your screen, you just have to use the arrow keys initially.

Hope this helps. Let us know if you have any other issues with Windows in future.

Vijay B, Aug 23, 2020
Thema:

1. Programs crash when opened on second monitor. - Similar Threads - Programs crash opened

2. Windows opens program on second monitor that is not connected

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows opens program on second monitor that is not connected: I have already found a solution on this, but I thought it could be helpful for other people struggling with the same problem.A certain app on my laptop didn't seem to notice that my second monitor wasn't connected anymore, so when I launched it the app kept opening on the...
  3. Windows opens program on second monitor that is not connected

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows opens program on second monitor that is not connected: I have already found a solution on this, but I thought it could be helpful for other people struggling with the same problem.A certain app on my laptop didn't seem to notice that my second monitor wasn't connected anymore, so when I launched it the app kept opening on the...
  4. Windows opens programs on a second monitor, that is not connected

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows opens programs on a second monitor, that is not connected: I have exactly the same problem as described in https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-opens-programs-on-a-second-monitor-that-is/a62c1f88-14dd-49c3-b0c5-95243e821657...
  5. Windows opens programs on a second monitor, that is not connected

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows opens programs on a second monitor, that is not connected: I have exactly the same problem as described in https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-opens-programs-on-a-second-monitor-that-is/a62c1f88-14dd-49c3-b0c5-95243e821657...
  6. Windows opens programs on a second monitor, that is not connected

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Launching a program when a second monitor is attached.

in Windows 10 Support
    Launching a program when a second monitor is attached.: Hi all, I am looking to use Task Scheduler or similar to start an application every time I plug in a secondary monitor. EG: When only using my laptop monitor, I decide to plug in a secondary monitor to my HDMI port and when that action is logged is forces an EXE or other...
  8. Second monitor going black when certain programs are opened

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Second monitor going black when certain programs are opened: Using the slideshow function on Powerpoint (which defaults to my second monitor), opening Maya (where my toolbars and such are on my second monitor), and even the snipping tool will always cause my second monitor to shut down, or go black, I'm not sure honestly. The light...
  9. Monitors crash open programs

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Monitors crash open programs: I use a set of two monitors. I never turn off my CPU to leave my accounts connected to a game and not have to log in the 5 accounts each one by one all the time because it is irritating and time consuming. I had to clean my PC of a virus and I had to restore it to factory...
  10. Programs open to second monitor that is not plugged

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Programs open to second monitor that is not plugged: Few programs keep opening windows to unplugged monitor on Windows 10 I have checked Windows screen settings and nvidia settings and everything points to that i only have 1 monitor and only 1 monitor is displayed....

Users found this page by searching for:

1. monitor crashes when i run programs