Windows 10: Programs do not start, explorer crashes, if only working with primary Laptop display. I...

Discus and support Programs do not start, explorer crashes, if only working with primary Laptop display. I... in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Since the latest Windows 10 2004 upgrade I experience severe issues with Windows or Programs not working anymore because a explorer/desktop... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Joachim Loeffel, Nov 21, 2020.

1. Programs do not start, explorer crashes, if only working with primary Laptop display. I...

Since the latest Windows 10 2004 upgrade I experience severe issues with Windows or Programs not working anymore because

a explorer/desktop constantly dies after login screen flashes, everything locked except ctr-alt-del, ctl-shift-esc or alike

taskmanger shows explorer.exe constantly dying and many instances in suspended state ...

- after a while other programs die, too

If I get the system operational I experience additional problems

b some programs do not start anymore, e.g. MS Word, failing silently or others, e.g.Settings fail with

'this file doesn't have an app associated with it', e.g. ms-settingsPrograms do not start, explorer crashes, if only working with primary Laptop display. I... :personalization-background

I can work around it by plugging in an external monitor!

I also created a new account which doesn't have the problem.

It is only with my primary account.

I found out, that this happens only, if I am working with PC screen only.

If I work with extended screen or secondary screen only I don't have a problem.

So far I tried everything I could find in the forums to try to solve the explorer crash loop issue:

1 sfc /scannow, DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth, /ScanHealth, /RestoreHealth

2 disable onedrive

3 delete HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\BannerStore

4 delete thumbcaches directory C:\Users\me\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Explorer

5 disable Enhanced Windows Biometric Security in BIOS

https://betanews.com/2020/09/22/microsoft-windows-10-kb4568831-update-lenovo-thinkpad-crash/

6 changed Screen scale and layout

7 disabled / repaired / reinstalled security and MS office suite

Nothing helped. I expect there is something cached in my primary account that causes addressing outside the 'screen area'?

I still have to work with the external monitor to avoid falling into the trap.

Is there anything else I could check or try before I give up my primary account and switch over to my new profile?

Thank you

PC: Lenovo X1 extreme 2nd gen - 3840 x 2160

Display: Samsung U32R59x - 3840 x 2160

Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.19042.630]
    C:\WINDOWS\system32>sfc /scannow
    Beginning system scan. This process will take some time.
    Beginning verification phase of system scan.
    Verification 100% complete.
    Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth

Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool
    Version: 10.0.19041.572
    Image Version: 10.0.19042.630
    No component store corruption detected.
    The operation completed successfully.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth

[==========================100.0%==========================] No component store corruption detected.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

[==========================100.0%==========================] The restore operation completed successfully.

:)

Joachim Loeffel, Nov 21, 2020
  2. McBrain Win User

Windows 10 scaling display causing explorer crashes

Thanks for your response!

Something changed now, the explorer can be started, but starting the control panel still causes an explorer restart.

I am running the 1511 build (no tech preview edition) with all updates installed. The laptop itself has 2560x1440 display and I connected recently a 1920×1080 external screen. Tested this now again:

• When the secondory display is connected, I can start the explorer, but not the Control Panel, but Explorer does not restart
    • Without the secondy display, I can start the explorer, but when I start the Control Panel, the explorer crashes.

McBrain, Nov 21, 2020
  3. Arun B J Win User
    Windows 10 Login Screen not respecting primary display. Identity Issues?

Hi,

I understand your concern and will assist you to resolve this issue.

I suggest you to follow the steps below and check if it helps.

• Press Windows +X.

• Select Control panel.

• Click on Display.

• Select Change display settings at top left corner.

• Click on Identify then you will be able to check the primary display.
    Keep us posted on this issue so that we can assist you better.

Arun B J, Nov 21, 2020
  4. Programs do not start, explorer crashes, if only working with primary Laptop display. I...

How do I make games open on the primary display?

I have 3 monitors on a nvidia GTX660Ti, with the latest drivers, on windows 10, upgraded from win7, on a PC that I have been gaming on for quite some time now. The hardware itself has been an excellent gaming rig up until the windows upgrade and/or the
    nvidia driver upgrade, but now a number of my games will not start on the primary display, they start on the first display in the list, which is not marked as primary. Both the windows display settings and the nvidia control panel have my central monitor
    identified as the primary display.

• Has anybody encountered this behavior?
    • Is it likely to be windows 10 related or decided by the nvidia driver?
    • Any suggestions on getting this to behave properly, like it used to, without requiring me to disable the other displays to get the primary to be used?

Les Ferguson, Nov 21, 2020
Thema:

Programs do not start, explorer crashes, if only working with primary Laptop display. I...

1. Programs do not start, explorer crashes, if only working with primary Laptop display. I... - Similar Threads - Programs start explorer

2. The laptop's Display only works in Safe mode.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    The laptop's Display only works in Safe mode.: Greetings, A few days back, I downloaded Citra an emulator for running 3DS games. The same day - After a few hours, my Laptop screen started glitching out. I've attached the pictures of how it looks. The glitching-out process is aberrant; Sometimes it happens immediately at...
  3. The laptop's Display only works in Safe mode.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    The laptop's Display only works in Safe mode.: Greetings, A few days back, I downloaded Citra an emulator for running 3DS games. The same day - After a few hours, my Laptop screen started glitching out. I've attached the pictures of how it looks. The glitching-out process is aberrant; Sometimes it happens immediately at...
  4. Program crashes with primary Admin Account

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Program crashes with primary Admin Account: Hi everyone,I have a strange Problem and I guess only Microsoft Community can help. Short: I installed the Arturia Software Center and if I click the Shortcur to run it... nothing happens I'm also in contact with Arturia but continue reading, I think it's an account Problem...
  5. Program crashes with primary Admin Account

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Program crashes with primary Admin Account: Hi everyone,I have a strange Problem and I guess only Microsoft Community can help. Short: I installed the Arturia Software Center and if I click the Shortcur to run it... nothing happens I'm also in contact with Arturia but continue reading, I think it's an account Problem...
  6. Program crashes with primary Admin Account

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  7. Program crashing on start

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Program crashing on start: Everytime I open a program it opens for a second and shows in the task bar without a logo tho and doesn't display anything and just closes, In event manager I found this error It's translated from dutch File cannot be accessed for one of the following reasons: There is a...
  8. why do pictures only display as tiles in explorer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    why do pictures only display as tiles in explorer: why do pictures only display as tiles in explorer https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-do-pictures-only-display-as-tiles-in-explorer/0f252cae-026d-4d8f-a190-ca0f808caf5a"
  9. Java programs (I think) only working on Primary Monitor

in Windows 10 Support
    Java programs (I think) only working on Primary Monitor: As of a software uipdate last night (I am trying to find out the contents of it), my Java Apps are only working on the main display. I have a Latitude E7250 and was running the laptop screen and 2 external screens. Initially I thought that it was only the laptop screen...
  10. Programs on 2nd monitor (extended display) minimize to primary

in Windows 10 Support
    Programs on 2nd monitor (extended display) minimize to primary: I am running W10 Pro 1607 14393.10. This problem has occured in earlier builds. I have a 2nd monitor that I have set as an extended display. I usually keep Adobe Reader open to view pdf as I work. If I leave my pc and return to enter password, it is not fully sleep - it...