Programs & Features Crashing to Desktop

Discus and support Programs & Features Crashing to Desktop in Windows 10 Support on Windows 10 Forums to solve the problem; (Build 10240) Attempting to uninstalling anything from Programs & Features causes it to crash to desktop without giving me the uninstall utility. Has... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by fracking4oil, Jul 26, 2015.

1. fracking4oil Win User

(Build 10240) Attempting to uninstalling anything from Programs & Features causes it to crash to desktop without giving me the uninstall utility. Has anyone else run into this? Any solution?

:)

fracking4oil, Jul 26, 2015
  2. Mark [MSFT] Win User

Constant bluescreens - still not fixed

Sorry that the desktop assist program was a waste of time, and that you're still seeing crashes :(

For the system driver, you mentioned that you'd already installed it. Was it the same version that I suggested in an earlier post? The version should be listed in Control panel -> programs -> programs and features.

I ask because in looking at the crashes, it still appears to be a version from 2012.

Mark [MSFT], Jul 26, 2015
  3. HairyFool Win User
    Missing Programs

Go to Start > Settings > System > Apps & features.

This should list all Desktop Programs installed along with Windows Apps, The latter are not listed in Control Panel > Programs & features.

Click on one to display the Uninstall button. If it is a Desktop program that will launch the normal uninstaller as if opened for the original utility. If Uninstall is greyed out then it is most likely an original Windows Program which nominally cannot be
    uninstalled.

HairyFool, Jul 26, 2015
  4. NUS
    Nus Win User

I get this behaviour by right clicking an item in the list and choosing 'Uninstall' from the context menu. It seems like Explorer restarts.

The solution, for me, is selecting the item and clicking the Uninstall button at the top of the list.

I noticed it first after the last security update and after I installed JACK. It first happened when tried to uninstall JACK. I suspect one or other.

5. Berton Win User
    Mine does exactly the same.

Berton, Jul 26, 2015
  6. fracking4oil Win User
    That worked, thank you! I never even notice there was an uninstall button up top. lol

fracking4oil, Jul 26, 2015
  7. Berton Win User
    The Uninstall/Change button may not show above the list of programs until a program has been selected/clicked on.

Berton, Jul 26, 2015
  8. NUS
    Nus Win User

This problem has now cleared up for me since last two updates: KB3074683 & KB3074678.

9. NUS
    Nus Win User
    I just saw an article and it was KB3074681 that caused Explorer to crash, when using Uninstall Programs, and KB3074683 fixes it.

Thema:

Programs & Features Crashing to Desktop - Similar Threads - Programs Features Crashing

1. "Uninstall or change a Program" doesn't open "Programs and Features"

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    "Uninstall or change a Program" doesn't open "Programs and Features": Recently, I noticed that when I click the "Uninstall or change a Program" button, "Apps and Features" in the Settings window opens rather than the "Programs and Features" window it always was. I preferred that window as it showed more programs and gave more details. Is there...
  2. Windows Media Feature Pack is installed but media programs stopped wo

Windows Media Feature Pack is installed but media programs stopped wo: I recently installed Windows 10 Pro N. I installed also KB3099229_x64.msu so my Windows Media Player, Camtasia and other programs could work. They DID work, I worked in them. Yesterday I installed Dreamweaver and it looked suspicious, Google Chrome stopped working, then I...
  3. Missing icons in programs and features and changing names

Missing icons in programs and features and changing names: Some of my programs icons are missing in programs and features. They are also missing from the start menu. How do I get them back again? I also want to change the name of some of the programs installed on my computer. Solution: right click on a program in the start menu...
  4. Microsoft Surface Pro1/Programs & Features list /alphabetical order

in Windows 10 Support
    Microsoft Surface Pro1/Programs & Features list /alphabetical order: I have recently acquired a refurbished Microsoft Surface Pro1. It runs well, except one nagging matter which I am unable to resolve. Will appreciate greatly if someone shows me the answer. The issue is simple : the contents listed in Programs and Features are in...
  5. Programs depending on Media Feature Pack stopped working

in Windows 10 Support
    Programs depending on Media Feature Pack stopped working: I have Windows 10 Pro N, installed like a week ago. I installed Media Pack KB3099229_x64.msu and my programs depending on it used to work. Also I created lots of restore points during the work on this system from the first day to today and used some of them during this week....
  6. Missing data from Programs and Features

in Windows 10 Support
    Missing data from Programs and Features: Some genius from Microsoft Office 365 support did something in my control panel having to do with mail setup and user accounts to try and fix my Office 365 install. <dident work BTW I found the solution on my own> After he did this almost every time I open Programs And...
  7. Advance Programs & Features is blank

in Windows 10 Support
    Advance Programs & Features is blank: Hello, I'm runing a Windows 10 pro x64, 1709 and I can't install the component to have remote server administration. The optional program feature is blank. I've tried several "fixes & solutions" (WinFix 10, Microsoft "Fix It" tool, sfc /scannow, some manual updates...) none...