Windows 10: Programs in Start menu not listed in search results

Discus and support Programs in Start menu not listed in search results in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I just upgraded to Windows 10 and I'm still trying to get used to everything that's changed since 7. I'm used to being able to just hit the Windows... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/dstarr3, Feb 7, 2020.

1. Programs in Start menu not listed in search results

I just upgraded to Windows 10 and I'm still trying to get used to everything that's changed since 7.

I'm used to being able to just hit the Windows key on my keyboard to bring up the Start menu, start typing the name of a program that I know has a shortcut in the start menu, and I'd find the shortcut instantly and could launch the program.

For some reason, Windows 10 isn't working like this for me. Some work, but most don't. I have to clutter my desktop with shortcuts because, even though there are shortcuts in the start menu that I can plainly see, there's no easy way to just start typing to find them.

This can't be how it's supposed to work. Any idea what might be happening?

submitted by /u/dstarr3
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/dstarr3, Feb 7, 2020
  2. YD Cui Win User

Start menu Search can't click on search results leading to Settings pages + Settings search results not loading

After I installed the Creator's Update (Version 1703, OS Build 15063.296), I found some results in start menu search being not clickable (i.e., no repsonse when clicking on them) while other results being fine.

I tried everything I could find by google:

• Restart Cortana through task manager
    • Restart WSearch service through services.msc
    • Rebuild windows search index
    • Reinstall/Re-register windows apps through Dism.exe
    • Modify windows registry

Nothing workable.

However, when logged in with another account, I found the start menu search working fine.

Then I read this article (http://www.urtech.ca/2016/08/solved-video-how-to-hard-reset-or-remove-cortana-in-windows-10/) and follow his steps 1-3:

• Create a new administrator on your Window 10 and sign in as that user
    • Delete (or rename) C:\Users\<PROBLEM USER>\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.Windows.Cortana_cw5n1h2txyewy
    • Sign back in as the PROBLEM USER
    • Open PowerShell as an admin and type (or paste)

Add-AppxPackage -Path “C:\Windows\SystemApps\Microsoft.Windows.Cortana_cw5n1h2txyewy\Appxmanifest.xml” -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register
    I didn't walk through all 4 steps, cause when I logged in with the "PROBLEM USER" I found everthing was okay.

I guess the start menu search (or cortana search) works as following procedures:

• Build a private database, including start menu programs, control panel items, etc.
    • When users try to search something, it starts from the private database
    • Then it shows the results queried from WSearch databases
    Hence, if something wrong with the items in its private database, the result is not clickable. Clear its private database will fix the problems.

YD Cui, Feb 7, 2020
  3. Disable Web Search Results in Windows 10 Start Menu

Hi Taira,

Disabling web results in the search box depends on the version and build of your Windows 10. We suggest checking the Windows 10 version and build installed on your computer. To check the version and build, follow the steps below:

• On Cortana search, type winver and press
      Enter
    • A pop-up box will appear containing the version and build of your operating system.

Meanwhile, you can try these steps on how to disable web results in the search box:

• Click the search box in the taskbar.
    • Select the Notebook icon
      Programs in Start menu not listed in search results a0c1fa7c-1198-4621-a19b-ece827a34a33.png

in the left pane.
    • Click Settings from the list.
    • In the Settings page, turn off the Cortana can give you suggestions, ideas, reminders, alerts and more option.
    • Also, turn off the Search online and include web results option.

If you need further assistance, don't hesitate to reach out.

Gerard Qui, Feb 7, 2020
  4. Programs in Start menu not listed in search results

Start Menu Search

Hi,

About your issue regarding the Start menu or Search, in order for us to assist you better. Please answer the question:

• Were there any recent changes made to your system prior to the issue?

In the meantime, we suggest you to check this link:
    Troubleshoot problems opening the Start menu or Cortana
    . It contains troubleshooting steps prior to the issue.

We'll look forward to your response.

Phillip Pio, Feb 7, 2020
Thema:

Programs in Start menu not listed in search results

1. Programs in Start menu not listed in search results - Similar Threads - Programs Start menu

2. Tweak start menu search results

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Tweak start menu search results: I use search constantly and keep my machine well indexed. Search generally works pretty well, but sometimes the results are very.. counter intuitive. For example, without fail, if I search "Desktop" the Best Match is always Remote Desktop Connection, rather than Desktop which...
  3. Tweak start menu search results

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Tweak start menu search results: I use search constantly and keep my machine well indexed. Search generally works pretty well, but sometimes the results are very.. counter intuitive. For example, without fail, if I search "Desktop" the Best Match is always Remote Desktop Connection, rather than Desktop which...
  4. Broken icons in start menu search results

in Windows 10 Customization
    Broken icons in start menu search results: I noticed this started about a week ago, but it doesn't corelate with any kind of update or new software installation.When searching typing app names while in the start menu, all store apps that appear in results display a generic picture icon.However, the same apps have...
  5. Start Menu search isn't listing results...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Start Menu search isn't listing results...: [ATTACH] When I hit Winkey for Start Menu, I get the start menu and then type, bit it isn't listing results. The top result is hinted in the search box, but that's not exactly useful. I thought it just filtered out the dark gray start menu. Ideas?...
  6. Start Menu Search Not Showing New Programs in the Results

in Cortana
    Start Menu Search Not Showing New Programs in the Results: When I attempt to search for newly installed programs via the start menu search, they do not appear. Programs that I have had for a long time do still appear in search results. I have tried restarting the windows search service, restarting windows explorer, restarting the...
  7. Not getting web results in Search or Start Menu search

in Cortana
    Not getting web results in Search or Start Menu search: Hi; on some Windows 10 installations (and indeed, even on my other user account), I get web search results when I press the Start key on my keyboard and then type into the search box. For example, "32 F in C" will yield 0° C. This isn't happening on one of my accounts. As...
  8. Start Menu not showing search results for documents

in Cortana
    Start Menu not showing search results for documents: Whenever I search for a document using the Start Menu, there are no search results. Apps show up fine. If I actually go into Explorer and search in a storage device's directory, it will show. But just never in the Start Menu. It's really irritating. Why is this? I rebuilt...
  9. Language in Start menu program list

in Windows 10 Customization
    Language in Start menu program list: Why does "Microsfoft office Hulpprogramma's" appear in Nederland in my start menu program list when my system language is English. All other start menu programs are shown in English....
  10. Programs Used List in Start Menue

in Windows 10 Support
    Programs Used List in Start Menue: How do a get a program that I use quite often to get on the "Most Used Programs List". I realize that I probably have to use it more for it to appear on the list. But I want to know if I can get it there even though the program is not used as often as the others. TIA...