Windows 10: Programs installed using Admin account not available for other users

Discus and support Programs installed using Admin account not available for other users in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Some programs I installed using my "Admin" account are not accessible to my other "Standard" user accounts. Examples are Spotify and uTorrent. I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by letterwhy, Aug 3, 2017.

1. letterwhy Win User

Programs installed using Admin account not available for other users

Some programs I installed using my "Admin" account are not accessible to my other "Standard" user accounts. Examples are Spotify and uTorrent. I checked and they are installed in appdata/roaming of my admin account, so I guess they were installed only for that specific account (tried reinstalling but it doesn't have the option to install for all users i.e. program files folder). I've tried copying the shortcuts to my start menu/programs folder and it appears in the start menu of my other users but it shows up as a generic application icon and I still can't access it.

Is there any way I can share them with my other user accounts, or should I just reinstall for each of my other users?

Hope someone can help. Thanks!

:)

letterwhy, Aug 3, 2017

2. how do i merge three microsoft accounts on my PC

Hi, Utkarsh,

Merging user accounts is currently not an option in Windows 10. However, you can try installing the app/program using an admin account and choosing the option to install the app/program for all users. This functionality depends on how the installer is written.
    Some will give you the option to install the app/program for This user only or
    All users, while others don't have the All users option. If you don't have this option, you may refer to this

Microsoft article
    for steps on how you can make the app/program available to all users.

If you wish to share files between user accounts, you can save files in the
    Public folder
    , located at C:\Users, which is accessible to all users. If you move your existing files and folders to the Public folder, you will be able to share them with other users.

If you need further assistance, let us know.

Aileen Alf, Aug 3, 2017
  3. Erdeslawe Win User
    User account control

Did you install the app for "all users" when you were in the Administrator Account? If not, then that's why the other account can't access it. That user also can't allow the program installation/access if it doesn't have Admin Privileges.

Erdeslawe, Aug 3, 2017
  4. AndreyT Win User

It is up to the application to provide "Install for all users" functionality. If the application does not provide it, then installing it independently for each and every user is the only solution.

AndreyT, Aug 4, 2017
Thema:

1. Programs installed using Admin account not available for other users - Similar Threads - Programs installed using

2. change availability of installed program for other users in windows 10

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    change availability of installed program for other users in windows 10: I installed some programs as adminthe only user created at that time. Later I created one more standard non-admin user. Now these programs are by default available for later user also. I want to make some of the programs completely unavailable for this later user such that...
  3. Admin can't install programs for all users

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Admin can't install programs for all users: I'm trying to install Python for all users to use a specific script but for some reason I don't have permission to install apps for all users. I'm an admin and I can do pretty much everything else requiring you to be an admin, but I don't have permission for this somehow....
  4. Log into user account using admin password

Log into user account using admin password: Hello, I would like to ask if it is possible to log somehow into user account by administrator? My problem behind this is when I need to do something on the user account, it is when they are already out of office I do my work mostly after 3 p.m.. Currently in our office...
  5. Deleted Admin Account and I have no other User Account

Deleted Admin Account and I have no other User Account: I have a Windows 10 laptop. I had not used my laptop for a month and they screen read password had expired. Since I had forgotten the password so I was not able to set a new password. I did the whole password reset process- System image recovery - utilman account...
  6. Admin and user not sharing installed programs?!?!

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Admin and user not sharing installed programs?!?!: Before I screw up my freshly installed win 10 pro.. In computer management, local user and groups.. User is member of users. My admin account is member of administrators and users. If I remove "users" from my admin account, does that mean that programs that user install...
  7. Minecraft for windows 10, but not available on other user accounts

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Minecraft for windows 10, but not available on other user accounts: Quite an irritating issue. I bought Minecraft for my daughter today. The game has been downloaded to the laptop into my user account, but she cannot access the game from her user account, meaning she needs to log in as me in order to play the game. I'd rather she were able to...
  8. When to use Admin vs User Accounts

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    When to use Admin vs User Accounts: I have asked these questions elsewhere and did not get straight answers. Is it best to be logged into a User account for normal activity? Web browsing, using office software, playing games, watching videos etc? This used to be the recommendation from Windows pros in the...
  9. Programs running in Buit in Admin account but not in User Account having admin privileges

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Programs running in Buit in Admin account but not in User Account having admin privileges: Hi Support Team I am facing an issue for programs running properly in Built in Admin User Account however not in Self created User account having admin privileges. This issue occurs with many programs like 1. i Have to run many programs Setups .exe through cmd as...
  10. No admin account on tablet, unknown "Other user" only account

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    No admin account on tablet, unknown "Other user" only account: I have a Windows tablet and it was powered down during a reset. There are no administrator accounts on it and the only account is "Other user", which I can't log into because I don't know what the password is. Can't bring up command prompt or anything requiring admin...