Windows 10: Programs not quitting, instead hiding to task manager

Discus and support Programs not quitting, instead hiding to task manager in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; when I close programs, they may not actually close, but continue to run and use my processing power, while only being viewable via the task manager.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Akysven, Mar 17, 2021.

1. Akysven Win User

Programs not quitting, instead hiding to task manager

when I close programs, they may not actually close, but continue to run and use my processing power, while only being viewable via the task manager.

this only started happening recently, maybe a week ago.

I've only seen this happen in games payday 2, r6s, rocket league, but they're all made by different people, so it can't be their fault.

I use windows 10.

:)

Akysven, Mar 17, 2021

2. Unable to hide Task bar

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I understand that you are unable to hide Task bar. We will assist you to resolve the issue.

I suggest you to try the steps provided below and check if it helps.

a. Right click on the Task bar.

b. Click on Properties.

c. Put a check mark next to ‘Auto-hide’ the task bar.

d. Click on Apply and OK.

If the issue persists try the below steps to restart the Windows Explorer and check if that helps.

Step 1: Press Ctrl + Shift + Esc keys to open Task Manager

Step 2: Click on
    More details.

Step 3: Under the Processes tab, right-click on Windows Explorer entry and then click Restart.

Hope the information helps. Let us know if you need further assistance. We will be happy to help.

Thank you.

Krishna Prasobh V, Mar 17, 2021
  3. Task manager

Hi Dominik,

My name is Jocelyn, an independent advisor and a fellow Windows 10 user like you. I'll be glad to help you today.

To Disable Startup Program:

In the search box on the taskbar, type msconfig and select System Configuration from the results.

On the Services tab of System Configuration, select Hide all Microsoft services, and then select Disable all.

On the Startup tab of System Configuration, select Open Task Manager.

Under Startup in Task Manager, look through the list of programs that are enabled to run during startup. Right-click the program and select Disable.

Exit Task Manager when done.

Let us know if you need further assistance.

Best,

Jocelyn

JocelynYbanez, Mar 17, 2021
  4. Programs not quitting, instead hiding to task manager

Task Manager - Startup tab

Actually, I like your suggestion as a first step.

Unchecking the wrong thing in Autoruns can brick a system.

OldNavyGuy, Mar 17, 2021
Thema:

Programs not quitting, instead hiding to task manager

1. Programs not quitting, instead hiding to task manager - Similar Threads - Programs quitting instead

2. Program called "Program" in Task manager startup

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Program called "Program" in Task manager startup: [IMG] It seems to be a webcompanion file but I already deleted webcompanion. Is this a bug or a virus of some sort? How do I remove It? https://preview.redd.it/82yy4oc4ovn61.png?width=1172&format=png&auto=webp&s=68360225e8910df543757e443f0fd3e0c4a64bb0 submitted by...
  3. Task Manager hiding my programs

Task Manager hiding my programs: Hey Gang, I've been having a problem when I open certain programs (Adobe Animate). I'll open it and it WILL run, but it won't show up on the taskbar or anywhere else. the only way I can manage to see it is when I go to task manager, end the program and run it again. I have...
  4. Hiding removable drives in Task Manager - Win10 2004

Hiding removable drives in Task Manager - Win10 2004: I have a card reader always attached to my machine. Since upgrading to 2004 all of the drives have appeared whether something was there or not. Previous versions of Windows 10 hid this. Is it possible I can do it with 2004? submitted by /u/outtokill7 [link] [comments]...
  5. Taskbar not hiding. Is there a permanent solution that's not a Task Manager reset?

Taskbar not hiding. Is there a permanent solution that's not a Task Manager reset?: New to windows from being Mac for 10 years. I love that my rig is 1/4 price for same performance, but damn I can't stand this OS. I've searched everywhere, and can't seem to find a permanent solution for the task bar not staying hidden. Is there one at all? submitted by...
  6. How to quit/close a program using Task Scheduler ?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    How to quit/close a program using Task Scheduler ?: I would like to have Task scheduler close a program after computer has been idle for a set amount of time. Is there a way to do that ? I previously posted a question about my computer not waking from sleep and I could not find a solution. I think I've worked out that it's...
  7. Would it cause problems if I quit OneDrive in Task Manager?

Would it cause problems if I quit OneDrive in Task Manager?: So, today, "Microsoft OneDrive (32 bit)" decided that it needs almost 40% of my CPU for god-knows-what. I've never even used it, since I just copy important stuff over to an external hardrive, maybe a USB-stick or two if it's really important. So is there any harm in just...
  8. Have to Force Quit "Task Manager" Everytime

in Windows 10 Support
    Have to Force Quit "Task Manager" Everytime: I've somewhat recently ran into this problem on my Windows 10 machine. Every time I boot up Task Manager and want to close it (using the X button), Task Manager crashes and I have to force quit it. It's not a major concern, but it does annoy me and lose me a few seconds each...
  9. Is there a way to hide programs from the startup section of task manager?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Is there a way to hide programs from the startup section of task manager?: I have some programs like discord and steam that I want to stay hidden, but task manager proudly shows it like it's a medal. Is there any way to remove it there so I can have them like ninjas?...
  10. Unknown program in Task Manager-Startup Programs

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unknown program in Task Manager-Startup Programs: I am using Windows 10 Home up-to-date. Just found this entry (Program) in my Task Manager-Startup Programs. It has no identification except 'Program' . On right click it doesn't show any properties or location just the enable or disable button. I have disabled it but am just...