Windows 10: Programs Not Responding repeatedly even after resetting Windows 10

Discus and support Programs Not Responding repeatedly even after resetting Windows 10 in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; My 3-year old Windows 10 Home laptop is repeatedly unresponsive. The open programs will display "Not responding" for 1-2 minutes, then works for a few... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by windhoek2010, Jul 24, 2017.

1. Programs Not Responding repeatedly even after resetting Windows 10

My 3-year old Windows 10 Home laptop is repeatedly unresponsive. The open programs will display "Not responding" for 1-2 minutes, then works for a few seconds before the cycle repeats. I've done everything I can think of to try to fix this (full list of what I've done is below) all to no avail.I notice that when this unresponsive state occurs, the "Disk" process in my Task Manager rises to 50%, even though there are just a few processes that are using 0.1 MB/s.I suspect it could be a driver conflict, but I have gone to my Device Manager and don't see any issues flagged. Could anyone suggest what diagnostic steps or diagnostic tools I could use to identify the source of this problem?------------Here is what I have tried:- Shut down my antivirus (Kaspersky)- Shut down Dropbox and OneDrive- Closed my Chrome browser, MS Office programs and all my other programs- Disabled Windows Search- Disabled SuperFetch- Restarted the PC (this takes some 20 minutes when I hit this problem)- Run Chkdsk and repaired drive errors- Reset Windows 10 (fresh install)It worked ok for about a week after I reset Windows 10, but the problem has since returned.

:)

windhoek2010, Jul 24, 2017

2. Programs keep flickering.

I have recently upgraded to windows 10 and i am not sure what is going on. when i open something like chrome or file explorer the program keeps flashing from responding to not responding repeatedly really fast and i cannot use the program while it is doing
    this. Is it my laptop or windows 10 itself because this never happened with windows 8.

ReeceGreenwood, Jul 24, 2017
  3. Cortana crashes as soon as I press mic button.

I did a hard reset using the same steps. My phone was not starting, just restarting repeatedly after I removed the battery when the phone stopped responding. So I went to some mobile repair shops only to be told everywhere that my data couldn't be recovered.
    They termed it as a windows error and asked for ₹600 (about $10). One shopkeeper even demanded ₹1200. They told me my windows would be restored to 8.1. Now I knew all they were going to do was a hard reset. So I hard resetted my phone on my own.

KritikAgrawal, Jul 24, 2017
  4. Programs Not Responding repeatedly even after resetting Windows 10

Caledon Ken, Jul 24, 2017
  5. Hi Caledon Ken,

Thank you for your reply and suggestions. I installed and ran CrystalDiskInfo as you suggested. I got the following "amber" warnings:

- Reallocated Sectors Count - Current: 100; Worst: 100; Threshold: 50; Raw Values: 000000001B18
    - Current Pending Sector Count - Current: 100; Worse: 100; Threshold: 0; Raw Values: 000000002468

Are these something I should be addressing, which could be the cause of my slowdown?

Thanks for your help.

windhoek2010, Jul 25, 2017
  6. Yes I believe so. Your drive should not be report anything but green or good and as the drive contains everything including the page file, performance is tied to the drive. You said you just ran chkdsk. The good news is you found. Now you can copy your data out.

You may wish to start a new thread with the specifics found in Crystal and see what other think. Always good to get a second opinion.

We have a clean install tutorial

Clean Install Windows 10

Here is a video on getting to HDD.

When you re-install Windows it will activate based on the fact you had Win 10 so no need for 25 digit key.

You can keep your suspect drive to pull files from using an external enclosure.

Great reason to justify a shinny SSD although not sure how much storage you need and the larger ones still cost plenty.

Ken

Caledon Ken, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Programs Not Responding repeatedly even after resetting Windows 10

1. Programs Not Responding repeatedly even after resetting Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Programs Responding repeatedly

2. Repeated bluescreens, even after Windows reset

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Repeated bluescreens, even after Windows reset: Hello,I had repeated Bluescreens at random times, there doesnt seem to be any obvious consistency when the bluescreens happen and with the error code that I got, I tried most thing the internet gave as suggestions. In the mean time I changed GPU and PSU and the issue still...
  3. Repeated bluescreens, even after Windows reset

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Repeated bluescreens, even after Windows reset: Hello,I had repeated Bluescreens at random times, there doesnt seem to be any obvious consistency when the bluescreens happen and with the error code that I got, I tried most thing the internet gave as suggestions. In the mean time I changed GPU and PSU and the issue still...
  4. Repeated bluescreens, even after Windows reset

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. It's not responding after resetting a laptop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    It's not responding after resetting a laptop: I had reset the laptop yesterday then it was 64% but its charging was over then it was off then I put it for charging then I did It on is just showing welcome, then it is showing pause 64%, then it is closing and again it is showing the same again and again....
  6. It's not responding after resetting a laptop

It's not responding after resetting a laptop: I had reset the laptop yesterday then it was 64% but its charging was over then it was off then I put it for charging then I did It on is just showing welcome, then it is showing pause 64%, then it is closing and again it is showing the same again and again....
  7. Programs not responding - Windows 10

Programs not responding - Windows 10: It started in the summer of 2020 after a large Windows update. Things work fine for a day or so and then everything starts freezing at every mouse click not responding. If sign out and reboot. the computer runs fine for another day or so. I disconnect from the Wifi each time...
  8. Repeated "Not Responding"

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Repeated "Not Responding": Hi guys! Recently, I've been facing a lot of "Not Responding" errors. It usually happens when I turn on my laptop and try opening a file/folder. I open it, click on something, it barely highlights, then "Not Responding" appears on the title bar out of nowhere. I click the...
  9. Windows 10 "program not responding"

Windows 10 "program not responding": Hey, I recently reinstalled Windows but it was fine for a bit then I got some programs then my PC started to Slow down. Then I keep getting this Error message "Program isn't responding" I changed settings to up performance like msconfig settings to Timeout time to 10 from...
  10. Default programs repeatedly reset to "MS" programs/apps

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Default programs repeatedly reset to "MS" programs/apps: Hi, all: After about a week with Win10 on this OEM box, a few annoyances continue to nag. First, despite having set Adobe Acrobat 11 (latest, fully licensed version) as the default program for PDF files (confirmed directly in Control Panel, in Settings and in File...