Windows 10: Programs on 2nd monitor (extended display) minimize to primary

Discus and support Programs on 2nd monitor (extended display) minimize to primary in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I am running W10 Pro 1607 14393.10. This problem has occured in earlier builds. I have a 2nd monitor that I have set as an extended display. I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by jmsnyc, Aug 9, 2016.

1. jmsnyc Win User

Programs on 2nd monitor (extended display) minimize to primary

I am running W10 Pro 1607 14393.10. This problem has occured in earlier builds.

I have a 2nd monitor that I have set as an extended display. I usually keep Adobe Reader open to view pdf as I work. If I leave my pc and return to enter password, it is not fully sleep - it can just be like 10 minutes. The 2nd screen is blank (shows extended desktop) and the pdf is minimized. This happens with other programs too. When I click on it, it restores to primary screen and then I have to redrag it to 2nd screen. This issue is really frustrating.

Any help appreciated. Thanks in advance.

:)

jmsnyc, Aug 9, 2016

2. Duplicating taskbar across multiple displays.

Hello,

In setting up two display monitors, options like Duplicate these displays, Extend these displays, Show only on 1, and Show only on 2 are provided to customize the display settings. In choosing Extend these displays, which lets you extend your actual working
    area to the second monitor, a primary or main monitor is set up as well. The primary monitor is generally the one that displays the majority of details and hosts the primary desktop. Although the Taskbar is available on both the monitors, but the primary one
    is more functional and accessible. The icons you see in the main monitor cannot be displayed on the second monitor as well, this is the distinction between the main display monitor and the extended or second monitor, which is a software design.

Feel free to post your query should you need assistance.

Vanessa Oca, Aug 9, 2016
  3. clchen711 Win User
    Windows 10 shows the 2nd monitor has 1920x1080 but actually is less than 50% around 1080x840

The resolution of the 2nd monitor, a Vizio VF551XVT 55-inch 1920x1080 HDTV connected through HDMI cable, shows 1920x1080 (Recommended) on the Windows 10’s Display Screen Resolution setting utility but the true resolution of the 2nd monitor is less than
    50%; around 1080x840. All applications on the 2nd monitor displayed their header & boarder frames twice wider on screen, which waste/occupy lots of the 2nd monitor’s display area. Please help solving this critical lower than the set/expected 2nd monitor screen
    resolution problem. Thanks.

The 1st/primary monitor in this case is a mobile PC Display (1920x1080), Lenovo Z710 Intel i7 4710MQ notebook with NVIDIA 840M graphic processor. Previously running under the Windows 8.1 OS with the same configuration, the 2nd monitor resolution also was
    displayed incorrectly but just initially right after the Windows 8.1 reboot, i.e. 2nd monitor shows 1920x1080 resolution but actually the 2nd monitor is about the same as Windows 10, display resolution is much/50% fewer than 1920x1080. However, the resolution
    of the 2nd monitor (HDTV) under Windows 8.1 can be corrected (worked around) by switching the main display from 1st to 2nd monitor, then switching main display back from 2nd to 1st, but in Windows 10 OS seems no work around.

Also
    1) Please advise if Windows 10 can fix the application displays re-position issue when the develop support team fix the Windows 10 incorrect display 2nd monitor resolution problem above. The re-position issue is, when a TV, DVR, Xbox, and PC, shared 2nd
    monitor is disconnected to watching TV, etc., Windows OS currently moves all the application display positions, both active and minimized displays, from 2nd monitor to 1st/main screen/monitor, but ideally would be just moving/re-aligning the active displays
    to the main/1st monitor and maintain/leave those minimized display positions intact, so when 2nd monitor reconnects back (done watching TV, DVR, Xbox), user doesn’t need to re-align all the displays back for 2nd monitor again, user can just click/activate
    those minimized displays to show/run displays at their previous positions if Windows OS knows to keep them intact.

2) Please advise how does Windows allow user to select/choose which monitor to display the media at full screen. currently Windows OS seems displaying almost all apps’ full screen mode at 1st/main monitor. It seems not easy/possible for users to show slideshows
    at the 2nd monitor or/and switch between monitors. One way to make monitor selection easy could be displaying the full screen at the same monitor that the app is displaying prior to switching the app to the full screen mode - in my two cents.

Thanks in advance for the helps.

clchen711, Aug 9, 2016
Thema:

Programs on 2nd monitor (extended display) minimize to primary

1. Programs on 2nd monitor (extended display) minimize to primary - Similar Threads - Programs 2nd monitor

2. Extending Monitor Display

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Extending Monitor Display: I am using a television as a second monitor, but when I extend the display, it gives me a "not supported" box. The main monitor however is fine, but all the windows and icons disappear, and I am left with only the taskbar on the screen as if my main monitor has become the...
  3. Extending Monitor Display

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Extending Monitor Display: I am using a television as a second monitor, but when I extend the display, it gives me a "not supported" box. The main monitor however is fine, but all the windows and icons disappear, and I am left with only the taskbar on the screen as if my main monitor has become the...
  4. Dual monitors: keeping the primary display primary

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Dual monitors: keeping the primary display primary: I have a Lenovo i7 Desktop PC with an Intel HD Graphics 4600 PCI card with 2 DisplayPort and 1 VGA outputs. One DP output is connected to my primary monitor, a 1080p Lenovo monitor. The other DP output is connected to my 55" Samsung HDTV, also 1080p, via a DisplayPort to...
  5. 2nd monitor not displaying?

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    2nd monitor not displaying?: Windows 10 home fully up to date, 32 gig of ram 6 cores Wasn't sure where to post this problem as it could be caused by a number of things? Anyway, I use a dual monitor display connected to a Nvidia Geforce GTX 1650 super graphics card, the card is only 2 months old and...
  6. 2nd monitor not displaying?

in Windows 10 Support
    2nd monitor not displaying?: Windows 10 home fully up to date, 32 gig of ram 6 cores Wasn't sure where to post this problem as it could be caused by a number of things? Anyway, I use a dual monitor display connected to a Nvidia Geforce GTX 1650 super graphics card, the card is only 2 months old and...
  7. Blurry image on 2nd monitor on extend display

Blurry image on 2nd monitor on extend display: While my laptop was connected to my TV with an HDMI cable, it used to work normally on the extend display option, yet, as i raised the resolution display option for the TV to 1920x1080 for the first time, as opposed to the recommended 1366x768 which was the option used on...
  8. Extending Display to a 2nd PC

Extending Display to a 2nd PC: Is there a way to extend the display of 1 laptop to a 2nd laptop? How do you make the 2nd laptop visible so if can be detected? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/extending-display-to-a-2nd-pc/9b1f9aab-1319-4b59-b825-2de8fa870a30
  9. 2nd display monitor

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    2nd display monitor: how do a separate display monitor https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/2nd-display-monitor/09d4b72e-1bb8-4645-8a67-76c0240bbd03"
  10. 2nd Display becomes primary when main monitor is switched off

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    2nd Display becomes primary when main monitor is switched off: Hi, I have the following problem for a few weeks now: I have a "main" monitor attached to DVI and a beamer attached to HDMI of my GTX-960 graphics card. The monitor is set to primary display. For watching movies, I usually switch off the monitor, leaving only the...