Windows 10: Programs open to second monitor that is not plugged

Discus and support Programs open to second monitor that is not plugged in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Few programs keep opening windows to unplugged monitor on Windows 10 I have checked Windows screen settings and nvidia settings and everything points... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by PeksiOO, Feb 21, 2019.

1. PeksiOO Win User

Programs open to second monitor that is not plugged

Few programs keep opening windows to unplugged monitor on Windows 10

I have checked Windows screen settings and nvidia settings and everything points to that i only have 1 monitor and only 1 monitor is displayed.

:)

PeksiOO, Feb 21, 2019

2. Opening programs on second monitor, not main monitor

Ok,

Well I go to display settings, and there is no check box for extend to this monitor. There is however Duplicate displays, Display only 1, or Display only 2. None of which are the correct answer. I go to one and yes the primary monitor box is checked.
    On 2 it is unchecked. This is also how I had it in Windows 7 and 8 / 8.1. It still does not solve programs opening on monitor 1 when I want them to open on monitor 2 because I am busy with something on monitor 1. Never had the issue with Windows 7 or 8
    / 8.1, but I am with Windows 10.

As for the second suggestion, I right clicked on an item in the taskbar and it did not display a move, it just opened up. Again, if I selected it from the taskbar or start menu on the second display it opens up on display 1. This is the behavior that I
    do not want to happen. Why is this so hard to understand. Something important going on with Display 1, need to open up something else, open it on display 2, if I select it from there, not on display one. It then opens on display 1, which then minimizes
    the program that was open on display 1, sometimes closing it out. If I am selecting it from display 2, I want it to open on display 2. I can't have two main monitors. But a feature that worked in previous versions, and worked well, should at least work
    in this version. Otherwise all I can say is that the developers borked that one away. So no the issue is still not fixed, and it is completely pissing me off.

Michael R. Mastro II, Feb 21, 2019
  3. Issues while installing a second monitor in Windows 10

Really? I get a canned answer and nothing else? I posted that I had tried everything that I could find posted online. I did read the post that Andre suggested multiple times prior to posting this request for help. None of it helped.

My computer does not recognize that there is a second monitor is plugged in. The small step of changing the settings so I can put stuff on the second monitor ISN'T the issue. I am not that dumb. in the device manager there is only the single monitor listed
    at one point there was a unknown device listed but my computer did not know if it was a monitor or a printer.

There has to be someone out there that knows how to fix this

Please Help

squareknees, Feb 21, 2019
  4. Bakanisan Win User

Opening programs on second monitor, not main monitor

I know this question was asked. But it was years ago and a lot have changed.

The question was answered in
    this post
    . But it doesn't have all the answer I need.

I want my programs to be opened in the monitor which the taskbar contains them resides on.

Sorry for my english but here's an example:

-I open chrome in monitor 2's taskbar, it stays there. But when I close it and re-open chrome in monitor 1's taskbar, I want it to be in monitor 1, not monitor 2.

Bakanisan, Feb 21, 2019
Thema:

1. Programs open to second monitor that is not plugged - Similar Threads - Programs open second

2. Windows opens program on second monitor that is not connected

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows opens program on second monitor that is not connected: I have already found a solution on this, but I thought it could be helpful for other people struggling with the same problem.A certain app on my laptop didn't seem to notice that my second monitor wasn't connected anymore, so when I launched it the app kept opening on the...
  3. Windows opens program on second monitor that is not connected

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows opens program on second monitor that is not connected: I have already found a solution on this, but I thought it could be helpful for other people struggling with the same problem.A certain app on my laptop didn't seem to notice that my second monitor wasn't connected anymore, so when I launched it the app kept opening on the...
  4. Windows opens programs on a second monitor, that is not connected

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows opens programs on a second monitor, that is not connected: I have exactly the same problem as described in https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-opens-programs-on-a-second-monitor-that-is/a62c1f88-14dd-49c3-b0c5-95243e821657...
  5. Windows opens programs on a second monitor, that is not connected

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows opens programs on a second monitor, that is not connected: I have exactly the same problem as described in https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-opens-programs-on-a-second-monitor-that-is/a62c1f88-14dd-49c3-b0c5-95243e821657...
  6. Windows opens programs on a second monitor, that is not connected

7. Windows 11 opens programs on a second monitor, that is not connected

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 opens programs on a second monitor, that is not connected: My search browser opens on a second monitor that isnt plugged in on Windows 11, I have tried everything the support articles recommended but it doesn't help....
  8. Windows 11 opens programs on a second monitor, that is not connected

Windows 11 opens programs on a second monitor, that is not connected: My search browser opens on a second monitor that isnt plugged in on Windows 11, I have tried everything the support articles recommended but it doesn't help....
  9. Programs crash when opened on second monitor.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Programs crash when opened on second monitor.: I'm running a Dual Monitor setup with the extended setting, and it works perfect except for one thing: any program that tries to start itself up on the second screen freezes and doesn't start up. I have no problems moving programs that are already opened around, and can...
  10. Windows opens programs on a second monitor, after undocking

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows opens programs on a second monitor, after undocking: 1.Plugin your laptop to a docking station 2.Connect to this station one or two monitors. (I have connected two monitors) 3.Open on each monitor an app I have opened on a monitor the "Licecap" app , on the second one "Firefox" browser + "RocketChat" , on the third one (the...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. window on second screen not plugged in

2. laptop crashing when second monitor not plugged in