Windows 10: Programs open when I try to shut down

Discus and support Programs open when I try to shut down in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Every time I try to shut down my PC, Microsoft PowerPoint and Word open up; and system settings. Why? I have a feeling it might be something to do... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by JustKempster, Feb 24, 2021.

1. Programs open when I try to shut down

Every time I try to shut down my PC, Microsoft PowerPoint and Word open up; and system settings. Why?

I have a feeling it might be something to do with my new keyboard because it only started happening when I got it.

Also, my mouse sensitivity is stupidly high on start-up.

Thank-you

:)

JustKempster, Feb 24, 2021
  2. Carlo Fer Win User

Computer in sleep mode shuts down open programs

When your computer is in hibernate mode, does all your programs have been shut off or closed? May we know what's the specific program that you use? Let's try to reset Power schemes. Please follow the steps below:

• Right on Start button, > select Command Prompt (Admin).
    • Copy and paste the command below:
    powercfg -restoredefaultschemes

• When finished, close the command prompt then reboot your PC.

Keep us updated with results.

Carlo Fer, Feb 24, 2021
  3. Why did the startup window get cleared?

I didn't missed any step, the list was gone and gone , even after using lot of programs the programs were not listed in that list.

smartali89, Feb 24, 2021
  4. kormath Win User

Programs open when I try to shut down

Lost default photo viewer after profile rebuild

Thanks Brink. I've tried those steps before i started searching Google. After the profile rebuild i don't have the Photo app listed to choose to make it default in either the system settings for default apps or the Open With option.

I can't even find it doing a search. Seems to have been removed somehow with the profile rebuild, which doesn't make sense.

Might be helpful to list what i've done Programs open when I try to shut down :) I've done the open with check, the choose default program in the system menu, tried that in device manager default programs also. I've checked the programs and features Turn windows features on/off and it's not listed there (never thought it was but that was a suggestion), searched the MS Store, it's not listed there either.

I don't like playing in the registry unless i have defined steps and haven't found anything for this yet, just the Win7 version like in my OP.

kormath, Feb 24, 2021
Thema:

Programs open when I try to shut down

1. Programs open when I try to shut down - Similar Threads - Programs open try

2. Laptop won't shut down or open programs

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Laptop won't shut down or open programs: I cant seem to shut down or restart my laptop, and programs won't open when I click them. But this only after the laptop has been powered on for a few seconds. Another problem is that once I can't open programs I also can't search anything on the internet. I can't seem to...
  3. Laptop won't shut down or open programs

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Laptop won't shut down or open programs: I cant seem to shut down or restart my laptop, and programs won't open when I click them. But this only after the laptop has been powered on for a few seconds. Another problem is that once I can't open programs I also can't search anything on the internet. I can't seem to...
  4. Laptop won't shut down or open programs

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Windows keeps shutting down when i open it

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows keeps shutting down when i open it: Hi, I have been dealing with a problem at my PC, sometimes when I remove the battery of my PC and reput it in, And i tried opening my Laptop it will power on for 3 seconds then immediately shutdowns. It will take me 1 hour to make it power on without it shutting down. By the...
  6. Windows keeps shutting down when i open it

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows keeps shutting down when i open it: Hi, I have been dealing with a problem at my PC, sometimes when I remove the battery of my PC and reput it in, And i tried opening my Laptop it will power on for 3 seconds then immediately shutdowns. It will take me 1 hour to make it power on without it shutting down. By the...
  7. Windows keeps shutting down when i open it

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. Laptop shuts down when I try to print

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Laptop shuts down when I try to print: Whenever I try to print, my laptop shuts down. I've done a reset of the laptop, but it hasn't helped. Any ideas? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/laptop-shuts-down-when-i-try-to-print/a25e3952-dc11-4edc-8894-2f3988b8a37c
  9. Programs shutting down

Programs shutting down: My Windows 10 keeps closing all of my programs and the white Windows 10 box keeps popping up asking to shut down. I can't play anything in VLC for more than 5-10 minutes before it all shuts down. Same with Chrome and other programs. One store said it was a bad harddrive and...
  10. SmartShareDMS-Surface is open when I shut down

SmartShareDMS-Surface is open when I shut down: I'm getting a message when I shut down my Sutface 3 that SmartShareDMS-Surface is open and needs to be shutdown. However, there are no apps running in the Task Manager...