Windows 10: Programs pinned to the start menu are gone from th emenu after reboot

Discus and support Programs pinned to the start menu are gone from th emenu after reboot in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I have noticed on my windows 10 (up to date) desktop lately that any programs that I pin to the start menu are gone from the menu after reboot. I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by tkinkley, Oct 23, 2018.

1. tkinkley Win User

Programs pinned to the start menu are gone from th emenu after reboot

I have noticed on my windows 10 (up to date) desktop lately that any programs that I pin to the start menu are gone from the menu after reboot.

I don't know for sure but I think this started recently after the October 2018 update.

Does anyone know how to fix this PITA ?

thank you so folks.

tkinkley

:)

tkinkley, Oct 23, 2018

2. How to pin shortcut to start menu.

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

As per the description, I understand that you would like to know how to pin short cut to start menu.

I would suggest you to refer to the article given below if you are using Windows 7.

Pin a program to the Start menu

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Pin-a-program-to-the-Start-menu

And if you are using Windows 10 then I would suggest you to follow the steps mentioned below.

Pin apps to Start

Pin the apps you use most often to the Start menu. Here's how:

• Go to Start > All Apps.
    • Press and hold (or right-click) an app.
    • Select Pin to Start.

Hope this helps. Please let us know the results. We will be happy to assist you further.

Mayank Gupta10, Oct 23, 2018
  3. Can't pin programs to Start menu anymore?

See if these steps help. Some of these steps might require a good amount of time to complete - consider it maintenance downtime.

Slartybart, Oct 23, 2018
  4. NUS
    Nus Win User

Can't pin programs to Start menu anymore?

Win 10 64bit Build 10162

Not sure if I've done this in the course of hacking the registry but I can no longer pin anything to Start Menu by right clicking on an .exe in the File Explorer and choosing 'Pin to Start' from the context menu. I don't get an error message but nothing happens.

Also, when I install a program it will create a folder in the Start Menu, as normal, but any shortcuts to an .exe are not shown, only links to the manual, notes, etc. However, the shortcuts to the .exe are actually being created in C:\Users\\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs or C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs

Any ideas?

Edit:

Turned on 'Most used' and can pin programs that appear on the list. However, not all programs used are appearing on list. It seems like only programs that were installed before this behaviour started are showing up.

Thema:

1. Programs pinned to the start menu are gone from th emenu after reboot - Similar Threads - Programs pinned start

2. My start menu programs are gone

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    My start menu programs are gone: All my Start menu programs have disappeared and the menu has apparently reconfigured itself to only a few basic programs like Notepad, File Explorer, This PC etc. All other programs and third party programs I've installed are not displayed. The entire Start menu now extends...
  3. Windows 11 - Pinned apps disappears from Start Menu after Reboot

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 - Pinned apps disappears from Start Menu after Reboot: This follows on from @cruzmaester's earlier question which did not receive a working answer.Please read that here:Windows 11 - Pinned apps disappears from Start Menu after Reboot - Microsoft CommunityWe have this issue for all computers/user profiles on Windows 11, in...
  4. Windows 11 - Pinned apps disappears from Start Menu after Reboot

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 - Pinned apps disappears from Start Menu after Reboot: This follows on from @cruzmaester's earlier question which did not receive a working answer.Please read that here:Windows 11 - Pinned apps disappears from Start Menu after Reboot - Microsoft CommunityWe have this issue for all computers/user profiles on Windows 11, in...
  5. Windows 11 - Pinned apps disappears from Start Menu after Reboot

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 - Pinned apps disappears from Start Menu after Reboot: HelloI have an issue with the Start Menu of my Windows 11. I've tried all the suggested fixed found online relating to this:Closed/Stopped and Restarted Windows ExplorerRun the System File Checker SFCRepair the Windows System Image with DISMRe-register the Start menu Shell...
  6. Windows 11 - Pinned apps disappears from Start Menu after Reboot

Windows 11 - Pinned apps disappears from Start Menu after Reboot: HelloI have an issue with the Start Menu of my Windows 11. I've tried all the suggested fixed found online relating to this:Closed/Stopped and Restarted Windows ExplorerRun the System File Checker SFCRepair the Windows System Image with DISMRe-register the Start menu Shell...
  7. Pinned program not shown in the start menu

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Pinned program not shown in the start menu: Hi sirs,I'd like to add a portable program to the start menu, but it doesn't appear even though I just added it using the commandHow to deal with this issue?...
  8. Pinned program not shown in the start menu

Pinned program not shown in the start menu: Hi sirs,I'd like to add a portable program to the start menu, but it doesn't appear even though I just added it using the commandHow to deal with this issue?...
  9. After Macrium Restore, Start Menu Pins Gone

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    After Macrium Restore, Start Menu Pins Gone: I decided to restore my desktop back on 1809 this morning using a Macrium backup image. I had been running 19H1 Insider Preview for a little over a month previously. After I finished the restore, my Start Menu was exactly as I'd left it, but after installing updates and...
  10. Cannot pin programs to start menu

Cannot pin programs to start menu: Not all the programs I have installed appear on the start menu (all apps). Even if I right click the relevant exe file (from file explorer) and select pin to start menu it does not appear. If I select pin to taskbar that works! 40527

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 pinned programs gone after upgrade

2. pinned apps are missing from start menu after reboot

3. pinning apps to start not sticking after restart

4. customer start menu gone after restart,
  5. pinned apps gone after reboot