Windows 10: Programs/services preventing me from ejecting my external HDD.

Discus and support Programs/services preventing me from ejecting my external HDD. in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I have few programs and services that appear to be preventing me from ejecting my external HDD. These appear in event viewer as event 225. One of them... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Kol12, Sep 26, 2020.

1. Kol12 Win User

Programs/services preventing me from ejecting my external HDD.

I have few programs and services that appear to be preventing me from ejecting my external HDD. These appear in event viewer as event 225. One of them is Windows Defender (msmpeng.exe) preventing disk ejection. Why would WD be preventing ejection of this disk?

Additionally I would like to make my external HDD stay asleep and only wake when I access the disk directly. Currently it is woken whenever I open File Explorer. Is that possible?

:)

Kol12, Sep 26, 2020
  2. Kol12 Win User

I have few programs and services that appear to be preventing me from ejecting my external HDD. These appear in event viewer as event 225. One of them is Windows Defender (msmpeng.exe) preventing disk ejection. Why would WD be preventing ejection of this disk?

Additionally I would like to make my external HDD stay asleep and only wake when I access the disk directly. Currently it is woken whenever I open File Explorer. Is that possible?

Kol12, Sep 26, 2020
  3. Kol12 Win User

PID 4 - System/ntoskrnl.exe

Why could this be preventing ejection?

Maybe it's using the external disk for page file or something?

Kol12, Sep 26, 2020
  4. dalchina Win User

Yup.. and PID 4:

Programs/services preventing me from ejecting my external HDD. [​IMG]

dalchina, Sep 26, 2020
Thema:

1. Programs/services preventing me from ejecting my external HDD. - Similar Threads - Programs services preventing

2. Programs/services preventing me from ejecting my external HDD.

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Programs/services preventing me from ejecting my external HDD.: I have few programs and services that appear to be preventing me from ejecting my external HDD. These appear in event viewer as event 225. One of them is Windows Defender (msmpeng.exe) preventing disk ejection. Why would WD be preventing ejection of this disk? Additionally...
  3. Unable to "safely eject" external HDD

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Unable to "safely eject" external HDD: I've been experiencing this for a while now. Whenever i try to safely remove my Seagate External hard drive, an error pops up which says its being used by some programs when i am not actually using it. I tried to find out what was causing the problem and i found two warnings...
  4. Problem ejecting external HDD

Problem ejecting external HDD: Hello MS Community, I had a brand new Toshiba 500gb HDD that I put in a case I bought online to use as an external HDD. When I shutdown all files/programs related to said HDD and try to eject I get error message saying the "device is currently in use" even though...
  5. Can a sync program sync external HDD to external HDD?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can a sync program sync external HDD to external HDD?: I keep all important data on external HDD and periodically wish to synchronize this dats with another external HDD. Is this at all possible especially because drive letters themselves change depending on the PC/laptop that you attach them to and the order in which you attach...
  6. Can a sync program sync external HDD to external HDD?

in Windows 10 Support
    Can a sync program sync external HDD to external HDD?: I keep all important data on external HDD and periodically wish to synchronize this dats with another external HDD. Is this at all possible especially because drive letters themselves change depending on the PC/laptop that you attach them to and the order in which you attach...
  7. External USB connected HDD will not Eject due to being in use

External USB connected HDD will not Eject due to being in use: Having recently found this to be an issue I looked for an answer. All the answers I found involved assuming that there was an underlying issue with Windows or drivers. I had noticed that at times the device could be ejected and therefore was unlikely to be related to the...
  8. How to prevent external HDD from going to sleep?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    How to prevent external HDD from going to sleep?: I have four external hard disks connected to my laptop either directly or through a USB hub. I have searched the issue that I'm asking about, but I have not found a definitive answer. The most common solution appears to be to use a program to write a small file to each hard...
  9. Large Size External HDD repeatedly ejects and connects by itself

in Windows 10 Support
    Large Size External HDD repeatedly ejects and connects by itself: Hi all. I have been using external HDDs with computers for many years. I have 500GB, 1TB and 2TB ones (WD, Seagate, Samsung, Transcend etc) and all work perfectly. Recently, I purchased a 4TB drive (Transcend). This one has a strange problem. It worked fine for a couple of...
  10. this process prevent me eject harddisk, how to solve the problem?

this process prevent me eject harddisk, how to solve the problem?: i got eject problem everytime i plug any usb drive when i open the process using a program called "procexp" or process explorer that i downloaded , i found some process preventing the safely remove hardware Screenshot below : Attachment 73756 the process is : 1....

Users found this page by searching for:

1. msmpeng prevent eject