Windows 10: Programs Slow To Open Due To Windows Defender (MsMpEng)

Discus and support Programs Slow To Open Due To Windows Defender (MsMpEng) in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; This is something that I've noticed since Windows 8, but Windows Defender make some programs so slow to open. It's pretty noticeable on the programs... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by ARC1020, Dec 17, 2015.

1. ARC1020 Win User

Programs Slow To Open Due To Windows Defender (MsMpEng)

This is something that I've noticed since Windows 8, but Windows Defender make some programs so slow to open. It's pretty noticeable on the programs that it does it on as it takes approx. 20-30 seconds to open them, even from an SSD, and if you look at Resource Monitor listed by CPU usage, you can see it's due to MsMpEng.exe running a scan before the program will open.

It would be understandable if it was doing it the first time the program had ever ran, or if the program wasn't signed, but that's not always the case. Canon DPP for example isn't signed, so presumably that's why Defender keeps scanning that, however here's an example of another program (SyncBackFree) that is signed, but yet Windows Defender still wants to keep scanning it on a daily basis despite nothing changing since previous scans.

Programs Slow To Open Due To Windows Defender (MsMpEng) [​IMG]

Obviously I can add individual programs to the Windows Defender Exclusion list and exclude them from real-time protection, but what it is that Defender doesn't like with certain programs that is feels the need to keep scanning them daily? Is this a Microsoft problem, or is it down to the software not adhering to some sort of best practice policies Microsoft have laid out? There must me something that makes Defender treat it as potentially signed malware?

:)

ARC1020, Dec 17, 2015
  2. SomeoneXM Win User

About Windows Defender!

Pardon first my English.

I just can't open Windows Defender. When I try to open it, it ends the task and it disappears from the taskbar, please help me!

I also have the latest Windows Defender update. Maybe is this the problem?

And I had the 30-day trial McAfee anti-virus protection, which today when I updated the windows Defender program, McAfee didn't open up, and then Windows defender stopped working only in the
    foreground, but in the background there's a service that is called ''Antimalware Service Executable'' and it's the ''MsMpEng'' program which is located in the Windows defender folder. When this service runs in background my CPU stats are going
    till 100%, when I open the task manager my CPU stats are going to 2%. Why this is happening? Please help me!

***Post moved by the moderator to the appropriate forum category.***

SomeoneXM, Dec 17, 2015
  3. Off the chart (literally!) disk usage

Did you run wpr -cancel from an admin cmd prompt?

Also try setting Diagnostic and usage data under Settings app > Privacy > Feedback & diagnostics to
    Basic.

MsMpEng is Windows Defender and lots of people have complained over the years about its high resource usage and slow speeds. The suggestion that you read about to switch to a better AV is perfectly valid.

If none of the above helps, open services.msc and try stopping and disabling the DiagTrack service.

RobertJWin, Dec 17, 2015
  4. anticeon Win User

Im confusing too ... some program are so SLOW because of Windows Defender

anticeon, Jan 24, 2017
  5. eLPuSHeR Win User
    There is a slight delay, yes. I tried AVAST and it was a lot worse.

eLPuSHeR, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Programs Slow To Open Due To Windows Defender (MsMpEng) - Similar Threads - Programs Slow Open

2. MsMpEng Process

in Windows 10 Gaming
    MsMpEng Process: Hi, I have a question: What happen if I terminate Antimalware Service Executable? BSOD? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/msmpeng-process/5d69e0f0-8b45-4516-b545-8b72562d03ad
  3. MsMpEng Process

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    MsMpEng Process: Hi, I have a question: What happen if I terminate Antimalware Service Executable? BSOD? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/msmpeng-process/5d69e0f0-8b45-4516-b545-8b72562d03ad
  4. MsMpEng Process

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  5. msmpeng windows 10

msmpeng windows 10: Hola, necesito reinstalar este servicio ya que lo desinstale con "IObit Unlocker". https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/msmpeng-windows-10/214d52a5-1b5f-4bf9-99af-e2eafd35659a
  6. Programs slow to open

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Programs slow to open: Hey guys for about a month or so every time I go to use right click (on say C: to do a cleanup) it can take upto a minute to give me any options. Normal right click works fine (unless selecting say an iso or other file, then it takes ages), but opening things even notepad can...
  7. Programs slow to open

in Windows 10 Support
    Programs slow to open: Hey guys for about a month or so every time I go to use right click (on say C: to do a cleanup) it can take upto a minute to give me any options. Normal right click works fine (unless selecting say an iso or other file, then it takes ages), but opening things even notepad can...
  8. windows 10 very slow in opening programs

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    windows 10 very slow in opening programs: These are my system specifications Intel core i5-7200u 2.5ghz 4 gb ram Windows 10 Home Windows is very slow at opening programs (such as Chrome, Firefox etc) when intially starting up. It can take up to 30 minutes just to open the Chrome application. Is there...
  9. System is slow to start up and programs are slow to open

in Windows 10 Customization
    System is slow to start up and programs are slow to open: System is slow to start up and programs are slow to open https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10/f7c13e5f-fe9c-4a8f-98cc-3d25990168c3
  10. Defender closes open programs

Defender closes open programs: Running windows defender when leaving computer. When return the next day, chrome and outlook have been closed, and computer is back to login screen. Because not looking at computer untill following day, not sure if it is closing the programs at beginning, middle, or end...