Windows 10: Programs slow to open

Discus and support Programs slow to open in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Hey guys for about a month or so every time I go to use right click (on say C: to do a cleanup) it can take upto a minute to give me any options.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by dwarfer66, May 7, 2020.

1. dwarfer66 Win User

Programs slow to open

Hey guys for about a month or so every time I go to use right click (on say C: to do a cleanup) it can take upto a minute to give me any options. Normal right click works fine (unless selecting say an iso or other file, then it takes ages), but opening things even notepad can take ages.

Apart from that ALL is running as it should be.

Using 19041.208 as of yesterday.

:)

dwarfer66, May 7, 2020

2. "open with" and opening of files slow

Hello,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

1. Since when are you facing this issue?
    2. Have you made any changes on your computer, prior to this issue?

To fix issues with Word documents opening slowly, I suggest you to attach a different template to the document and check if that helps. Follow the below steps to attach a templates.

Steps:-

1. Open Word application.
    2. Click on File and select Options.
    3. Select Add-Ins from the list.
    4. Under Manage Select Templates and click on
      Go.
    5. In the pop up, type Normal in the Document template.
    6. Click on Ok.

To fix issues with Adobe files opening slowly follow the below troubleshooting steps and check if that helps.

Steps:-

1. Open Adobe application.
    2. Click on Edit.
    3. Select Preferences option.
    4. Tap on General.
    5. Uncheck Enable protected mode at startup.

Hope it helps.

Sandeep Kumar M

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Sandeep_KM, May 7, 2020
  3. Why did the startup window get cleared?

I didn't missed any step, the list was gone and gone , even after using lot of programs the programs were not listed in that list.

smartali89, May 7, 2020
  4. Vee39 Win User

Programs slow to open

Constant freezing, slow to open programs and files.

The title says it all. Constant freezing and slow to open programs - I'm talking about minutes not seconds. I have anti-virus and malware software working. Recently, downloaded latest Windows 10 update. Now it seems worse. But it was bad before that. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Vee39, May 7, 2020
Thema:

Programs slow to open

1. Programs slow to open - Similar Threads - Programs slow open

2. Apps and programs are very slow to open and screen freezes.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Apps and programs are very slow to open and screen freezes.: Apps and programs take forever to open and my screen freezes. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/apps-and-programs-are-very-slow-to-open-and-screen/a34eb302-98e1-4cd9-9e52-c3f2a1667898
  3. Apps and programs are very slow to open and screen freezes.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Apps and programs are very slow to open and screen freezes.: Apps and programs take forever to open and my screen freezes. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/apps-and-programs-are-very-slow-to-open-and-screen/a34eb302-98e1-4cd9-9e52-c3f2a1667898
  4. Computer has randomly become very slow to open programs

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Computer has randomly become very slow to open programs: Hey, as of yesterday my computer has been extremely slow and struggles to even open chrome/ video games or scan it’s storage Task manager isn’t running anything passively and I’m not sure what’s causing itAny help would be great thank you...
  5. Programs slow to open

in Windows 10 Support
    Programs slow to open: Hey guys for about a month or so every time I go to use right click (on say C: to do a cleanup) it can take upto a minute to give me any options. Normal right click works fine (unless selecting say an iso or other file, then it takes ages), but opening things even notepad can...
  6. computer slow opening apps and programs

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    computer slow opening apps and programs: computer is slow at opening apps and other programs https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/computer-slow-opening-apps-and-programs/95f295c9-e562-44ab-958c-7400bd0f44a3
  7. windows 10 very slow in opening programs

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    windows 10 very slow in opening programs: These are my system specifications Intel core i5-7200u 2.5ghz 4 gb ram Windows 10 Home Windows is very slow at opening programs (such as Chrome, Firefox etc) when intially starting up. It can take up to 30 minutes just to open the Chrome application. Is there...
  8. System is slow to start up and programs are slow to open

in Windows 10 Customization
    System is slow to start up and programs are slow to open: System is slow to start up and programs are slow to open https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10/f7c13e5f-fe9c-4a8f-98cc-3d25990168c3
  9. Programs Slow To Open Due To Windows Defender (MsMpEng)

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Programs Slow To Open Due To Windows Defender (MsMpEng): This is something that I've noticed since Windows 8, but Windows Defender make some programs so slow to open. It's pretty noticeable on the programs that it does it on as it takes approx. 20-30 seconds to open them, even from an SSD, and if you look at Resource Monitor listed...
  10. Constant freezing, slow to open programs and files.

in Windows 10 Support
    Constant freezing, slow to open programs and files.: The title says it all. Constant freezing and slow to open programs - I'm talking about minutes not seconds. I have anti-virus and malware software working. Recently, downloaded latest Windows 10 update. Now it seems worse. But it was bad before that. Any suggestions? Thanks....