Windows 10: Programs stop opening and Windows hangs on restart

Discus and support Programs stop opening and Windows hangs on restart in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; This issue seems to have been happening to me ever since the new Windows 10 update from a couple months back. I'm currently on Version 1903 with OS... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by James__L, Nov 1, 2019.

1. James__L Win User

Programs stop opening and Windows hangs on restart

This issue seems to have been happening to me ever since the new Windows 10 update from a couple months back. I'm currently on Version 1903 with OS Build 18362.418.

I cannot find a direct correlation to when it starts happening, but eventually, a number of programs will refuse to open. It seems mostly related to gaming programs, launchers, etc. It will start with the programs actually taking a few minutes to actually open, but then eventually, they just stop opening. After a restart, things will work fine again for a while, but it always happens sooner or later.

And the restarting has become an issue in itself. When I notice programs stop opening, I try to restart the system, but it perpetually hangs on the "Restarting" screen. I need to force a shut down by holding down the power button, and rebooting.

For lack of a better description, it "feels" like there is a process that is running that is holding up all these other processes, but I don't know what or how to fix it. I've done several examinations and troubleshootings of my system to determine the hardware is fine, that the BIOS is operating properly, and that other system processes are not the cause of the conflict. The only thing I have yet to rule out, is that there is a Windows process that could be causing the issue, or some sort of error caused by this new Windows 10 update.

:)

James__L, Nov 1, 2019
  2. free Win User

system hang when open GPU-Z with discrete graphics

On SugarBay/MahoBay platfrom,system will hang when open GPU-Z utility.
    Below steps can duplicate this issue:

1.Boot to windows 7 with IGD, install newest intel chipset(9.3.0.1019 ) and IGD
    driver(8.15.10.2598 ).
    2.Boot to windows 7 again,can open GPU-Z normally.
    3.Shutdown the system,connect discrete graphics replace IGD,install discrete graphics drvier and reboot.
    4.Boot to windwos 7,can not open GPUZ utility and sometimes system will hang when open GPU-Z utility.
    5.I have tried to remove the "Intel OpenCL(TM)1.1 support..." from the Control Panel \ Programs \ Programs and Feautures,it can open GPU-Z normally.

Can you fix this issue in GPU-Z?

free, Nov 1, 2019
  3. Arul_D Win User
    Programs stopping and restarting

Hello William,

I regret the inconvenience caused to you. I will be glad to assist you with your issue.

Let's try the below steps and check if it helps to resolve the issue:

Step 1: I would suggest you to run System Maintenance Troubleshooter
    and check if it helps:

• Press Windows + X key. 
    • Select Control panel.
    • In the search box, type Troubleshooter and then click
      Troubleshooting.
    • Under System and Security,
    • Click on System Maintenance and Click on Next button.

Step 2: Run SFC Scan.

What is SFC (System File Checker)?

System File Checker is a utility in Windows that allows users to scan for corruptions in Windows system files and restore corrupted files.

Follow the steps given in the below article to perform SFC scan:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929833?ppud=4&wa=wsignin1.0

Note: Steps applies to Windows 10 as well.

Step 3: If the issue persists, I suggest you
    to boot into safe mode and check if the issue persists.

Safe mode is a troubleshooting option for Windows that starts your computer in a limited state. Only the basic files and drivers necessary to run Windows are started. The word
    Safe Mode appears in the corners of your monitor to identify which monitors mode you are using.

To use a Safe Boot option, follow these steps:

• Press Windows Key + R.
    • Run will open, type
      msconfig and hit the Enter key.
    • A system configuration box will pop up.
    • Click on Boot Tab.
    • Select or click the check box Safe mode with networking.
    • Click on Apply and ok.
    • You will then see a restart button. Click it to restart your computer.
    Once you are in safe mode, check if you are facing the issue.

Once you completed the steps above follow the below steps on how to go back to normal mode:

• Press Windows Key + R.
    • Run will open, type
      msconfig and hit the Enter key.
    • A system configuration box will pop up.
    • Click on Boot Tab.
    • If you see safe mode box has a check mark in it,
      uncheck the safe mode box and hit apply or
      ok
    • You will then see a restart button. Click it to restart your computer.
    • When your computer comes back up, sign in and you will now be in "normal mode".
    Let us know the status of the issue. For further assistance feel free to post your queries in Microsoft forums. We will be glad to assist you.

Thank you.

Arul_D, Nov 1, 2019
  4. HAT
    hat Win User

Windows Update suddenly hangs?

Windows Update is suddenly hanging for some reason... I went and downloaded and installed the first bunch of updates, restarted when asked, and now when I go back to windows update I just get the window with a white box forever. Reboot and it still does it. This happens to be on my main machine, running windows 7.

I've also noticed when I reboot it says configuring windows update, step 3 of 3, 47%. Maybe it somehow skipped something and is screwed forever?

Thema:

1. Programs stop opening and Windows hangs on restart - Similar Threads - Programs stop opening

2. windows hangs and restart

in Windows 10 Gaming
    windows hangs and restart: ok so i was browsing edge browser and suddenly after closing it, Pc hanged and then restarted. Here is v2 log file linkhttps://1drv.ms/f/s!Arrj8MWtdHGwj1TMKh9qzVK2z7EZ?e=D8NsEv...
  3. windows hangs and restart

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    windows hangs and restart: ok so i was browsing edge browser and suddenly after closing it, Pc hanged and then restarted. Here is v2 log file linkhttps://1drv.ms/f/s!Arrj8MWtdHGwj1TMKh9qzVK2z7EZ?e=D8NsEv...
  4. windows hangs and restart

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Stop Windows from re-opening programs after restart?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Stop Windows from re-opening programs after restart?: I don't want this feature. I've never wanted it. I don't kick my power button by mistake. I have a UPS. I'm responsible enough to save what I'm working on in frequent intervals. I do not experience data loss. I'm sick of Windows opening Excel, my email and browser back up....
  6. Hangups on Restarting pc and hanging up programs.

Hangups on Restarting pc and hanging up programs.: Dear Community, I noticed recently alot of my programs hang when i leave my pc on when i go out to walk the dog or do the laundry or even go take a bath. When i come back, alot of programs, when clicked on, do not work. A person actually from a steam post figured out that a...
  7. programs hang

programs hang: I have several programs that will not start sometimes but other times they will. Itunes, Windows Media Player, and Remote Desktop will not start sometimes, they will show in task manager as running normaly and nothing in the wait chain. If I leave it and come back in a 1/2...
  8. Anyway to stop programs opening on Windows 10 restart?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Anyway to stop programs opening on Windows 10 restart?: hi folks, Sometimes I probably reatart windows 10 without shutting down some programs like outlook, or my browser, only to find that when I restart these programs also autmatically run again. Is there a way to stop this? Many thanks, joe 117191
  9. Anyway to stop programs opening on Windows 10 restart?

in Windows 10 Support
    Anyway to stop programs opening on Windows 10 restart?: hi folks, Sometimes I probably reatart windows 10 without shutting down some programs like outlook, or my browser, only to find that when I restart these programs also autmatically run again. Is there a way to stop this? Many thanks, joe 117191
  10. Hanging at 'Restarting'

Hanging at 'Restarting': My Windows 10 PC hangs at the 'Restarting' screen when installing updates or just restarting the computer. It eventually completes the update or restart, but it takes far too long. The computer is a year old and did not do this until after an update several months ago. How...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. Programs and features