Windows 10: Programs stop working until computer restart

Discus and support Programs stop working until computer restart in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hi,Every once and a while almost all .exe's will either stop responding or not even open. If they open its just a white screen and task master says the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by thatoneguy7177, Sep 19, 2021.

1. Programs stop working until computer restart

Hi,Every once and a while almost all .exe's will either stop responding or not even open. If they open its just a white screen and task master says the program is not responding. This can be fixed by restarting my computer, but I want to know why this happens and if there is anything I can do to prevent it.Thank you

:)

thatoneguy7177, Sep 19, 2021
  2. Arul_D Win User

Programs stopping and restarting

Hello William,

I regret the inconvenience caused to you. I will be glad to assist you with your issue.

Let's try the below steps and check if it helps to resolve the issue:

Step 1: I would suggest you to run System Maintenance Troubleshooter
    and check if it helps:

• Press Windows + X key. 
    • Select Control panel.
    • In the search box, type Troubleshooter and then click
      Troubleshooting.
    • Under System and Security,
    • Click on System Maintenance and Click on Next button.

Step 2: Run SFC Scan.

What is SFC (System File Checker)?

System File Checker is a utility in Windows that allows users to scan for corruptions in Windows system files and restore corrupted files.

Follow the steps given in the below article to perform SFC scan:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929833?ppud=4&wa=wsignin1.0

Note: Steps applies to Windows 10 as well.

Step 3: If the issue persists, I suggest you
    to boot into safe mode and check if the issue persists.

Safe mode is a troubleshooting option for Windows that starts your computer in a limited state. Only the basic files and drivers necessary to run Windows are started. The word
    Safe Mode appears in the corners of your monitor to identify which monitors mode you are using.

To use a Safe Boot option, follow these steps:

• Press Windows Key + R.
    • Run will open, type
      msconfig and hit the Enter key.
    • A system configuration box will pop up.
    • Click on Boot Tab.
    • Select or click the check box Safe mode with networking.
    • Click on Apply and ok.
    • You will then see a restart button. Click it to restart your computer.
    Once you are in safe mode, check if you are facing the issue.

Once you completed the steps above follow the below steps on how to go back to normal mode:

• Press Windows Key + R.
    • Run will open, type
      msconfig and hit the Enter key.
    • A system configuration box will pop up.
    • Click on Boot Tab.
    • If you see safe mode box has a check mark in it,
      uncheck the safe mode box and hit apply or
      ok
    • You will then see a restart button. Click it to restart your computer.
    • When your computer comes back up, sign in and you will now be in "normal mode".
    Let us know the status of the issue. For further assistance feel free to post your queries in Microsoft forums. We will be glad to assist you.

Thank you.

Arul_D, Sep 19, 2021
  3. Windows 10 infinite restart black screen

The tutorials provided are just a list of troubleshooting steps. Use only the steps which apply to you.

Since none of the troubleshooting steps here worked, I'd suggest you do a Clean install.

John

AmericanPharaoh, Sep 19, 2021
  4. TRWOV Win User

Programs stop working until computer restart

AMD processor has stopped working properly

1. Go to www.amd.com and download the most current drivers for your card and operating system.

2. In Windows 7 go to Start > Control Panel > Programs and features. In Windows XP go to Start > Control Panel > Add and remove programs

3. Look for AMD Catalyst Install Manager in the list of installed programs. Right click on it and select "Change".

3A. If you don't find the AMD Catalyst Install Manager then most likely you're using the default Windows drivers which are severely outdated. If that's the case skip to step 5.

4. Select the third option "Uninstall all the AMD software". Follow the instructions. Restart your PC.

5. Go to your downloads folder and run the driver installer you downloaded in step 1. Select express installation and follow the instructions. Restart your PC after installing.

TRWOV, Sep 19, 2021
Thema:

Programs stop working until computer restart

1. Programs stop working until computer restart - Similar Threads - Programs stop working

2. Internet stops working randomly until I restart the device

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Internet stops working randomly until I restart the device: this is frustrating. Teams and Outlook still works but the internet has drops.Only option is to restart your device to fix internet breaking issue...
  3. Connected devices suddenly stop working until hard restart

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Connected devices suddenly stop working until hard restart: Hi all,I have recently been having an issue while playing Elden Ring that is becoming more frequent. While I'm playing, Xbox Elite controller over USB and Bluetooth keyboard suddenly stop responding However, my Logitech mouse over USB dongle still works fine. Since I'm...
  4. Connected devices suddenly stop working until hard restart

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Connected devices suddenly stop working until hard restart: Hi all,I have recently been having an issue while playing Elden Ring that is becoming more frequent. While I'm playing, Xbox Elite controller over USB and Bluetooth keyboard suddenly stop responding However, my Logitech mouse over USB dongle still works fine. Since I'm...
  5. Connected devices suddenly stop working until hard restart

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. All videos will stop working until I restart my computer

in Windows 10 Support
    All videos will stop working until I restart my computer: I recently updated to Windows 10, and I'm having problems with videos. Sometimes, videos will randomly stop playing, and I have to restart my computer to play them. This includes videos I play with VLC, Windows Media Player, and the Films and TV app, but also on YouTube, etc....
  7. Two-computer networking works until I restart

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Two-computer networking works until I restart: Hi, I have two computers both running Windows 10. They are networked together via Ethernet cables to an ATT cable modem. I can get file and print sharing working until I restart either or both computers, then file and print sharing goes away. I can get it working again by...
  8. USB ports randomly stop working until I restart

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    USB ports randomly stop working until I restart: Hello, I don’t know if this is the right place to get this kind of help, but I didn't see any rules opposing it so figured I'd give it a shot. So, my USB ports all stop working at a random rate, forcing me to restart my laptop. I'm pretty sure it's not a hardware thing...
  9. Video not working until restart

Video not working until restart: I have had this problem since I did a fresh install of Windows 10 1809, I have since updated to 1903 and the problem persists. When I start up my computer I open a video file and the computer freezes for around 15 seconds and then sometimes it will play and sometimes it is...
  10. In-build keyboard stops working until restart

In-build keyboard stops working until restart: I'm on HP Pavillion laptop (HP Pavilion 15-AU030NG) with Windows10 x 64. I'm experiencing a weird behavior of the in-build keyboard since some time: Case 1 If i plug out my usb keyboard, so the in-build laptop PS/2 keyboard remains dead, until i restart the laptop. After...