Windows 10: Programs will not open unless force restarting PC

Discus and support Programs will not open unless force restarting PC in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Every morning when I start my PC, no programs will open unless I force restart (it won't restart on it's own, even after clicking it). It only has the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/emulatez, Mar 31, 2021.

1. Programs will not open unless force restarting PC

Every morning when I start my PC, no programs will open unless I force restart (it won't restart on it's own, even after clicking it). It only has the spinning circle like it's loading, but doesn't even show in task manager. Browsers will open, but any program will not. But after, force shutdown everything works normally. I haven't installed anything recently since and not sure what the issue could be. Can anyone help?

submitted by /u/emulatez
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/emulatez, Mar 31, 2021

2. PC will not restart

I would like to have you run a Clean Boot.

How to perform a Clean Boot.

Warning: Disabling items in Services or Startup may leave your antivirus disabled until the process is ended. For this reason I would suggest that you perform this process off line.

Press the
    Programs will not open unless force restarting PC 7W6b39o.png
    keys to open Run, then type msconfig in the search box. This will open System Configuration.

If you are prompted for an administrator password or for confirmation, you should enter the password or provide confirmation.

(1) Click/tap on the General tab.

(2) Click/tap on the Selective startup option.

(3) Remove the check mark in the Load startup items check box.

Programs will not open unless force restarting PC 0JgaJnG.png

4. Click on the Services tab.

5. Place a check mark in the Hide all Microsoft services check box, this will remove the Microsoft Services from the list but will still be running.

6. Click Disable all, this will remove all of the check marks in the Services list.

Programs will not open unless force restarting PC yIKrmLs.png

7. Click on Apply then OK

Programs will not open unless force restarting PC ljHR4ZW.png

Click on Restart in the window that opens.

When the computer is restarted it will boot normally.

If the problem does not continue after the restart please do the following.

8. Divide the number of these startup services and programs by two and you place checks in the first half of these, then restart the computer.

9. If the problem doesn't return in those services and programs remove the checks and place checks in the remaining services and programs and restart the computer.

10. When you find which half the service or program is in go on to the next step.

11. The half which has the service causing this problem remove half of the checks as you did previously to see which half has this service. Do the same for the programs. Restart the computer.

12. If it isn't in the first half of these services and programs, do the same with the last half of the services and programs.

13. Once you have narrowed it down to the last three or four services and programs remove the checks one at a time till you find the service or program at fault.

Once you have found the service or program post it in your topic. Do not take any action until I suggest the next step.

FreeBooter, Mar 31, 2021
  3. My pc takes for ever to shut down when i restart

Suggest cleaning up your startup list .There may be many services / Apps you can remove on startup which is not needed on boot or during shutdown.
    Before you shutdown the Pc check what is running in Task Manager as a program or service in not killing the process on shutdown

Would suggest cleaning up running apps and services -Autoruns, StartupMonitor,HighjackThis,
    Malware Scan - Malwarebytes,ADWcleaner, Combofix

SnakeDoctor, Mar 31, 2021
  4. kormath Win User

Programs will not open unless force restarting PC

Lost default photo viewer after profile rebuild

Thanks Brink. I've tried those steps before i started searching Google. After the profile rebuild i don't have the Photo app listed to choose to make it default in either the system settings for default apps or the Open With option.

I can't even find it doing a search. Seems to have been removed somehow with the profile rebuild, which doesn't make sense.

Might be helpful to list what i've done Programs will not open unless force restarting PC :) I've done the open with check, the choose default program in the system menu, tried that in device manager default programs also. I've checked the programs and features Turn windows features on/off and it's not listed there (never thought it was but that was a suggestion), searched the MS Store, it's not listed there either.

I don't like playing in the registry unless i have defined steps and haven't found anything for this yet, just the Win7 version like in my OP.

kormath, Mar 31, 2021
Thema:

Programs will not open unless force restarting PC

1. Programs will not open unless force restarting PC - Similar Threads - Programs open unless

2. Some programs don't open unless run as admin

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Some programs don't open unless run as admin: So a few days ago I restarted my laptop and I think I opened it after a few hours and when I tried launching certain apps they would not launch but then I tried it with admin privileges and it worked. But I want the apps to open normally if any one can help with this in the...
  3. Some programs don't open unless run as admin

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Some programs don't open unless run as admin: So a few days ago I restarted my laptop and I think I opened it after a few hours and when I tried launching certain apps they would not launch but then I tried it with admin privileges and it worked. But I want the apps to open normally if any one can help with this in the...
  4. Cannot print document unless restart PC

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Cannot print document unless restart PC: Hi All,Does anyone know about this issue :https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/usb-printer-port-missing-after-disconnecting-printer-while-windows-10-version-1903-or-later-is-shut-down-e1c36061-0dd9-26f4-0104-4c7b6538cf81is it already fixed by Microsoft? try to search the...
  5. Cannot print document unless restart PC

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot print document unless restart PC: Hi All,Does anyone know about this issue :https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/usb-printer-port-missing-after-disconnecting-printer-while-windows-10-version-1903-or-later-is-shut-down-e1c36061-0dd9-26f4-0104-4c7b6538cf81is it already fixed by Microsoft? try to search the...
  6. Cannot print document unless restart PC

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. No programs open unless run as administrator [Win10]

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    No programs open unless run as administrator [Win10]: hello Microsoft from yesterday I couldn't open any program without running them as an administrator I'm using "Gmail' as my account on this computer please help me I don't want to reinstall my windows 10...
  8. Notifications not working unless program is open.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Notifications not working unless program is open.: After an update a few months ago, the notifications for websites, like Google Calendar and Gmail do not work unless the tab is open. They do have permission to send notifications. I have tried restarting my computer several times, updating my drivers and checking for system...
  9. Won’t open programs unless I run as administrator

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Won’t open programs unless I run as administrator: I’ve been searching up on the web all day to fix this and there’s only a few solutions posted. I’ve done the registry edit “%1”%*, created a new user account - nothing. Please help, thanks. :-) submitted by /u/taromt [link] [comments]...
  10. Sound Mixer Not Affecting Programs Sounds Unless Opened

in Windows 10 Customization
    Sound Mixer Not Affecting Programs Sounds Unless Opened: Hi, I recently installed Windows on a new computer (acer Nitro V17 VN7-793G), and installed all given drivers on Acer's website. Here's the issue: I muted the system sounds through the mixer, but when an event triggering system sounds occur, the sound do happen. Except...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. program fails to start unless reboot