Windows 10: Projection settings are lost upon reboot

Discus and support Projection settings are lost upon reboot in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have my laptop hooked up to an external display via HDMI. The projection settings made using Winkey + P gets reset to "Duplicate" every time I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Raident, Aug 11, 2015.

1. Raident Win User

Projection settings are lost upon reboot

I have my laptop hooked up to an external display via HDMI. The projection settings made using Winkey + P gets reset to "Duplicate" every time I reboot, and I have to go in and manually change it back to "Second screen only".

Is there still a way to set this permanently? With Win 7 and 8.x there was a "Multiple displays" option under the Screen Resolution control panel, but this control panel seems to have been completely redesigned in Win 10 and I can't find that option anymore *Sad

:)

Raident, Aug 11, 2015
  2. Louie Del Win User

Multi row taskbar settings are lost on reboot (explorer restart.)

Hi Matt,

The settings that you’ve made with the taskbar may haven’t retained due to software conflicts or an application is possibly causing the issue when you’ve set the multi-row in the taskbar. To learn more about your concern, we’d like to ask the questions
    below:

• Which Windows version and build is installed on your computer? To get this information, type
      winver in the search box.
    • Are you using any third-party applications that are pinned on your taskbar?

In the meantime, try to lock the taskbar after making the changes. Right-click the taskbar and select
    Lock all taskbar. Then, restart your computer and check if you'll see still see the multi-row. Please refer to the screenshot below:

Projection settings are lost upon reboot [​IMG]

We can also isolate this behavior by performing a clean boot. This will help us identify if there are applications that may cause the issue to change it from the default settings. Click
    here for the steps. Once you’re in the clean boot state, try
    to personalize the taskbar and restart your PC. Then, verify if the it will have the same result.

Let us know how it goes after performing the suggested steps.

Louie Del, Aug 11, 2015
  3. MattColl Win User
    Multi row taskbar settings are lost on reboot (explorer restart.)

For years i have configured my Windows taskbar with two rows - instead of the default single row.

With multiple toolbars active this works better for me split over two distinct rows.

This has been possible since around windows 7 i think, but it has always had a really annoying bug - in that on restart of the machine - the two row layout is reset to a single row

Double row

After restart it returns to a Single Row

I need to stress - this is not a new problem with any particular machine - but a consistent "shortcoming" in the retention of the settings in windows.

Or am i missing some setting that "retains" the taskbar settings.

Thanks in advance.

Matt

MattColl, Aug 11, 2015
  4. MWPollard Win User

Right-click on the desktop and select "Display settings". You can select the internal display and set it to "Disconnect this display".

However, this may not fix your problem. My computer also resets its display settings on reboot now - it didn't the first several times, but it does now.

MWPollard, Aug 16, 2015
  5. There was another similar post, also a laptop, that wouldn't retain the way it was set on a reboot/shutdown. I don't have that issue on my desktop PC which runs triple monitors. I run dual displays on my laptop but really only ever use Extend. It runs in Extend on boot up if my USB 3 monitor is connected.

Here is the other thread, External monitor not detected

alphanumeric, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Projection settings are lost upon reboot - Similar Threads - Projection settings are

2. Recovery of lost Paint 3D Project

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Recovery of lost Paint 3D Project: Hello,I was working on a Paint 3D project and used "Save As Paint 3D Project" before closing my window. However, I am now unable to find my project. Could someone please help me with where these projects get saved? I've tried running a search across my system for the project...
  3. Recovery of lost Paint 3D Project

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Recovery of lost Paint 3D Project: Hello,I was working on a Paint 3D project and used "Save As Paint 3D Project" before closing my window. However, I am now unable to find my project. Could someone please help me with where these projects get saved? I've tried running a search across my system for the project...
  4. Project 2019 throwing up "please reboot project" -- Fixed

in Microsoft Office and 365
    Project 2019 throwing up "please reboot project" -- Fixed: I've been using Project legally for over 20 years - so I got a bit surprised to see when starting a blank new Project task yesterday I kept getting message -- Your license has been updated please re-boot project !!!! I was using the Work supplied version via Working remotely...
  5. Projection Settings are "lost" after reboot

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Projection Settings are "lost" after reboot: Hello, I am experiencing a strange problem after updating the drivers and BIOS on my laptop: my prefered setting is "second screen only" . after a reboot I get "duplicate" (de facto) however "second screen only stays selectedin blue. to fix this I need to move the selection...
  6. IP Settings Lost after reboot

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    IP Settings Lost after reboot: Dear all, I have a network problem on a PC with Win 10. I use a static IP but after the reboot the settings change to DHCP. I found that the cause is the service named 'DHCP Client', in fact the IP settings aren't lost if this service is disabled. On the other PCs the...
  7. Lost projects and files after an update.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Lost projects and files after an update.: Hello, I am a music producer and my computer got into sleep mode and then updated it self and after the update I lost all my projects, sample packs, Etc, Is it happend to any one here? Do you know any solution? Really important!!! Thanks you...
  8. Settings lost after update/reboot

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Settings lost after update/reboot: Several times my settings for various programs have disappeared after rebooting. This has mostly happened after a windows update. It's as though I were setting up a new computer time and again. With Microsoft forcing updates all the time, it is driving me crazy. How can I...
  9. Lost Video Project in Microsoft photos

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Lost Video Project in Microsoft photos: Where how can I find it? Totally gone. Also since I opted out of sync, the other saved project does not open. I have tried repair on advanced options on app When that did not work, went into power shell uninstalled app and reinstalled, still not working properly. BTW, new...
  10. Windows 10 Language Settings Lost After Reboot

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 Language Settings Lost After Reboot: On one of our PCs where we upgraded to Windows 10, the handwriting recognition on the on=screen keyboard was not enabled. After some searching we found how to enable this and it worked. The steps followed were: The steps below show how to resolve this. 1: Right click...