Windows 10: Prolific USB-Serial

Discus and support Prolific USB-Serial in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I've previously had this working on my system but, for whatever reason, it's no longer being recognised by my mapping software when I attempt to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by WightWalker, Aug 1, 2016.

1. Prolific USB-Serial

I've previously had this working on my system but, for whatever reason, it's no longer being recognised by my mapping software when I attempt to transfer routes to my GPS.

As you can see the driver is installed but with an exclamation mark to indicate a problem.

Searching automatically for an update does not work & when I manually select the driver that I have, it comes with the comment that the correct driver is installed - but still not working.

Prolific USB-Serial [​IMG]

Any suggestions or comment appreciated.

:)

WightWalker, Aug 1, 2016
  2. BSS_Corey Win User

Rs-323 serial ports are not working after updating to windows 10 build 1511 (10.0.10586)

BSS_Corey, Aug 1, 2016
  3. TerryJG Win User
    Virtual serial port windows 10

I have a wireless weather station that runs to a serial port but new laptop does not have one, windows 10 is having issues installing the Prolific serial to USB driver...does not want to work...nor does trouble shooting it

TerryJG, Aug 1, 2016
  4. philc43 Win User

Prolific USB-Serial

Hello Wightwalker,

You need to roll back to an earlier driver. The newer drivers have a built in check that detects when older devices do not have the correct chips. If rollback fails you need to reinstall the original driver that came with your USB-Serial port attachment.

The problem relates to China imports which are fake chips and were used in many devices sold in recent years. See the warning on the Prolific page and also do a Google search.

philc43, Aug 1, 2016
  5. Thanks.

Have now got things working in a rather 'round-about' way.

I have 2 USB - Serial Interface cables.

• The older which used to previously work on Windows 10 still works OK on a Windows XP Laptop proving that the interface is still functional.
    • The newer interface cables when connected to Windows 10 automatically installs the drivers & works on Windows 10, but will not work on Windows XP (I don't have a driver disk for this cable but it is CH340 v3.4.2014.8)
    • If I uninstall all relevant drivers, then install my original Vista Driver v3.2.0. & plug in the interface cable, Windows 10 will then update drivers BUT with Code 10 error. If I now update drivers back to v3.2.0.0 it works & I have a singe interface cable that works on both Windows 10 & Windows XP

However, when I unplug the cable & re-insert, Windows 10 will automatically update the drivers to the NON-Working ones & I have to then re-select the v3.2.0.0 ones every time.

Is there a way to stop Windows 10 from updating these drivers every time the cable is inserted?
      I've tried changes the System settings for updates but without success.

WightWalker, Aug 1, 2016
  6. philc43 Win User
    philc43, Aug 1, 2016
  7. Thanks, but if I understand how this works, it only allows you to select & prevent updates that are due to be installed.

When I plug the USB cable in, the driver is updated from within Windows itself & without the need to download anything at all.

WightWalker, Aug 1, 2016
  8. philc43 Win User

Prolific USB-Serial

Have you tried uninstalling the updates first so that they are not available on your system?

philc43, Aug 1, 2016
  9. Yes.

I uninstalled the prolific drivers, then installed v3.2.0.0.

As soon as I plugged the USB cable into the port, Windows immediately changed these v3.6.81.357 & v 3.8.1.3 which don't work.

Changing these back to v3.2.0.0 works but as previously mentioned as soon as I remove the cable/switch the PC off & re-insert the cable, Windows does a repeat & replaces these with v3.6.81.357 & v 3.8.1.3.

WightWalker, Aug 1, 2016
  10. philc43 Win User
    Try deleting the driver files from the system folder as well so that windows doesn't find them again.

philc43, Aug 3, 2016
  11. spunk Win User
    With the cable plugged in, using the latest drive, go to the Device Manager and Right click the Prolific device and Uninstall it, it should ask if you want to Delete the driver files as well. Do so, then restart.
    If that doesn't happen, right click the device, choose Properties/Driver/Driver Details. This will show you the location of the driver files, and you can manually delete them.

spunk, Aug 3, 2016
  12. spunk Win User
    With the cable plugged in, using the latest drive, go to the Device Manager and Right click the Prolific device and Uninstall it, it should ask if you want to Delete the driver files as well. Do so, then restart. If that doesn't happen, right click the device, choose Properties/Driver/Driver Details.This will show you the location of the driver files, and you can manually delete them.

spunk, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Prolific USB-Serial

1. Prolific USB-Serial - Similar Threads - Prolific USB Serial

2. USB to Serial Issue

in Windows 10 Gaming
    USB to Serial Issue: I have a similar issue to a previous one discussed - I have a few handheld radios that I need to update the frequencies and when I connect to the USB, it fails to connect. In device manager and Ports it says - "Please install corresponding PL2303 driver to support Windows 11...
  3. I am using Prolific 2303GT USB to Serial Cable with my Win7 laptop but COM port is failing....

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I am using Prolific 2303GT USB to Serial Cable with my Win7 laptop but COM port is failing....: I am using Prolific 2303GT USB to Serial Cable with my Win7 laptop but COM port is failing. I tried using Latest Driver and old version as well but nothing works....
  4. I am using Prolific 2303GT USB to Serial Cable with my Win7 laptop but COM port is failing....

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I am using Prolific 2303GT USB to Serial Cable with my Win7 laptop but COM port is failing....: I am using Prolific 2303GT USB to Serial Cable with my Win7 laptop but COM port is failing. I tried using Latest Driver and old version as well but nothing works....
  5. Serial to usb driver

Serial to usb driver: hello everyone.I need help.I am using a serial to usb cable between a modbus slave device and my computer.I want to configure the usb port on my computer but cannot find it under device manager.My computer is running windows 10.Do I need to install a multiport serial driver...
  6. USB-SERIAL FAILED

USB-SERIAL FAILED: Hello, as developer i use often serial devices via USB after w11 an massiv problem comes all 3 day's back .For some Serial Devices on Industrial USB-HUB i can see that often, the ports are already listet, but not anymore connectable like blocked.The old Win XP Driver is...
  7. Prolific USB to Serial Convertor issue since last update

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Prolific USB to Serial Convertor issue since last update: Since the last Windows 10 update, my Prolific USB to serial converter began dropping out requiring me to unplug it and plug it back in about every 3 to 6 hours. As of yesterday, it stopped working entirely. Today I may have found the cure, but not yet sure. I went to Device...
  8. Prolific driver.

Prolific driver.: Hey. Got a new scanner. Installed my prolific driverlatest one available. When I go to davice manager and try to update my cable driver to prolific, Windows just displays a blue screen and says that a error has occured and the computer will restart soon. Any help?...
  9. USB serial missing

USB serial missing: After a win 10 upgrade my com ports vanished. How do I get them back? Computer is a Dell Laptop R17 5720 OS is Windows 10 pro Version 10.0.18363 Build 18363 Intel 7 c216 USB chipset USB Serial converter does not show in device manager show hidden selected Updating all...
  10. Can't get Prolific USB to Serial to work

Can't get Prolific USB to Serial to work: I've read that if I install an older driver it should work. But I seem unable to even get an older driver to install. I'm on Windows 10 Pro. Any suggestions? 33318