Windows 10: Prompt for BitLocker key

Discus and support Prompt for BitLocker key in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; What do I do to fix this problem The screen of the laptop says BitLocker ***Original title: BitLocker***... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by timothykrissilas, Feb 26, 2019.

1. Prompt for BitLocker key

What do I do to fix this problem

The screen of the laptop says BitLocker

***Original title: BitLocker***

:)

timothykrissilas, Feb 26, 2019
  2. Xylee Del Win User
    Xylee Del, Feb 26, 2019
  3. Junaid_A Win User
    Prompt for Bitlocker key after uninstalling updates - Windows 10

Hi Joe,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community forum.

I understand that it can be difficult when your own computer is inaccessible due to some changes that could have happened. However, let's try a few troubleshooting steps and see if we can access the drive.

• Is the BitLocker Recovery key that you found, valid?
    • If yes, what exactly happens when you enter the key?

If it's not a valid key, you may try to locate the BitLocker key on your Microsoft account, which will help you access the drive. Refer
    Find my BitLocker recovery key
    to know how to find the BitLocker recovery key.

If no recovery key is found, enable the secure boot setting from BIOS and see if you can access the drive.

• Power off the device and then power it on.
    • Look for a message on the boot screen just before or after the manufacturer logo appears. You may need to press the
      'F1','F2', or 'Delete' button, whatever key is indicated on the boot screen to enter BIOS Settings.
    • Within BIOS, choose the tab 'BOOT'.

(Note: Depending on the BIOS manufacturer this page could be
      BOOT, ADVANCED, STARTUP
      etc.)
    • Look for a setting called 'UEFI Secure Boot' and toggle the Secure Boot setting to
      'Enabled'.

(Note: Each BIOS could have a different name for UEFI Secure Boot. These are the keywords to look for:
      'UEFI', 'Secure Boot', 'Legacy Boot'.)

Restart the machine now.

Note:

Modifying BIOS/ complementary metal oxide semiconductor (CMOS) settings incorrectly can cause serious problems that may prevent your computer from booting properly. Microsoft cannot guarantee that any problems resulting from the configuring of BIOS/CMOS settings
    can be solved. Modifications of the settings are at your own risk.

If the key is valid, try the troubleshooting steps listed in
    BitLocker
    Troubleshooting: Continuous reboot loop with BitLocker recovery

Regards,

Junaid_A, Feb 26, 2019
  4. Prompt for BitLocker key

PC prompting for Bitlocker recovery key, cannot find the recovery key

Hello Leckbir,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

For further clarity on the issue and to guide you accordingly, respond to the questions listed below:

1. Since when are you facing this issue?
    2. Are you aware of any changes being made to the PC?
    3. Which version of Windows is installed on the PC?
    4. What is the make and model of the PC?

This issue can be caused if a BIOS/firmware update has been pushed to your PC either through Windows Updates or any other OEM media update.

If you have set up the Bitlocker on your PC, I suggest you to look for the recovery key on your Microsoft account. Also, you can refer the article

Find my BitLocker recovery key

Hope it helps.

Regards,

Prakhar Khare

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Prakhar_Khare, Feb 26, 2019
Thema:

Prompt for BitLocker key

1. Prompt for BitLocker key - Similar Threads - Prompt BitLocker key

2. Bitlocker recovery key prompt

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Bitlocker recovery key prompt: Hello,I was prompted for bitlocker recovery key when I tried to boot my windows 10 laptob recently 29th Jan, 2024.Did the recent security update trigger this for anyone else or is it alarming that my device could be compromised? I have run some scans and didn't find any...
  3. Bitlocker recovery key prompt

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Bitlocker recovery key prompt: Hello,I was prompted for bitlocker recovery key when I tried to boot my windows 10 laptob recently 29th Jan, 2024.Did the recent security update trigger this for anyone else or is it alarming that my device could be compromised? I have run some scans and didn't find any...
  4. Bitlocker recovery key prompt

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  5. Repeated prompt for bitlocker recovery key

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Repeated prompt for bitlocker recovery key: Hi, anyone facing this problem recently of getting prompt to enter bitlocker recovery key? im using a ms surface pro6 and had to enter my recovery key every time i restarted my device over the last two days. Appreciate some help here. thanks!...
  6. Surface Book prompts for Bitlocker key on startup

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Surface Book prompts for Bitlocker key on startup: My Surface Book 1 running Win 10 Pro with all updates installed has started prompting for the Bit Locker key when it is powered on. If I power off and on again it boots without prompting for the Bit Locker key. What causes this? Is there a fix? It is very annoying. Thanks....
  7. Suddenly prompted for Bitlocker recovery key

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Suddenly prompted for Bitlocker recovery key: Hi, I rebooted my Surface Pro 4 running Windows 10 Pro (latest updates), and out of the blue I was prompted for a Bitlocker recovery key. I assume this has to do with hard disk encryption, but I have never enabled this. I just clicked continue to Windows 10 and everything...
  8. Bitlocker recovery key prompt my alpha keys not working

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Bitlocker recovery key prompt my alpha keys not working: Being prompted for Bitlocker key which I do not have. There is one being displayed on my screen which has alpha characters, for some reason only my numerics work on my keyboard. Very frustrating...
  9. Prompt for BitLocker Recovery Key - Windows 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Prompt for BitLocker Recovery Key - Windows 10: Turned off last night, and this morning I have a Bitlocker screen. It does not say BITLOCKER RECOVERY. only BITLOCKER. None of the support suggestions work nor can I get any other screen. I downloaded a Microsoft game last night, maybe it was a virus? I've had this...
  10. BitLocker recovery key prompt on startup

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BitLocker recovery key prompt on startup: Hello Support, My Dell Inspiron 15 does not have a TPM and still I am being asked for a recovery key every time I start my laptop all of a sudden. I have to retype the recovery key every time I start the lappy. Can anyone help. Thanks, Kala...