Windows 10: Prompt For Bitlocker Recovery Key For Secondary Internal HDD After Reboot

Discus and support Prompt For Bitlocker Recovery Key For Secondary Internal HDD After Reboot in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Have rebooted my laptop Dell G7 and drive D: secondary was not accessible until the Bitlocker Recovery Key was entered. It appears to be treating... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by Neil3087AU, Jul 26, 2020.

1. Prompt For Bitlocker Recovery Key For Secondary Internal HDD After Reboot

Have rebooted my laptop Dell G7 and drive D: secondary was not accessible until the Bitlocker Recovery Key was entered.

It appears to be treating this drive as external with a Drive Type of "SDV" and not internal. As in the manage this device section the secondary drive is not listed and only the primary drive C: is listed.

How do make this drive internal?

:)

Neil3087AU, Jul 26, 2020
  2. Aug30005 Win User

BitLocker Recovery Key not stored in Microsoft Account

Here is the sequence of events that resulted in me unable to access the data on my additional HDD.

30th August - Purchased new computer and installed windows 10 64-bit Pro on 500GB internal harddrive.

4th September - Added another 2TB harddrive and moved my personal data.

17th September - Installed Linux operating system on internal hard drive overwriting windows 10. Unable to access the data on the 2 TB HDD from Linux.

17th September - Reinstalled Windows 10 64-bit Pro on 500GB internal harddrive overwriting Linux.

Unable to access the 2 TB HDD from Windows since it was bitlocker encrypted.

My Microsoft Account has 2 BitLocker recovery keys. But both are for the internal HDD in which the OS was installed twice. No key listed for the external HDD.

Is there a way to get the bitlocker recovery key for the external HDD?

Is it possible that the 2 TB HDD I purchased was bitlocker enabled by the previous buyer and then returned to seller and that's why it is not listed in my microsoft account?

Aug30005, Jul 26, 2020
  3. bitlocker recovery key

Hi Singh,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

In order to get clarity on this issue and assist you with appropriate troubleshooting steps, please reply with the answers to the questions below.

1. Are you not able login to your computer due to BitLocker Recovery Key?
    2. Did you ever setup BitLocker Recovery Key on your computer?
    3. Are you not able to login to your Microsoft Account to find the BitLocker Recovery Key?
    4. Are you using Windows 10 Home or Windows 10 Professional?

Meanwhile, try finding BitLocker Recovery Key if you have ever setup BitLocker Recovery Key for your computer.

Please elaborate on the issue, so that we can understand the concern and get back to us to help you further.

Shafeeq_Khan, Jul 26, 2020
  4. Prompt For Bitlocker Recovery Key For Secondary Internal HDD After Reboot

PC prompting for Bitlocker recovery key, cannot find the recovery key

Hello Leckbir,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

For further clarity on the issue and to guide you accordingly, respond to the questions listed below:

1. Since when are you facing this issue?
    2. Are you aware of any changes being made to the PC?
    3. Which version of Windows is installed on the PC?
    4. What is the make and model of the PC?

This issue can be caused if a BIOS/firmware update has been pushed to your PC either through Windows Updates or any other OEM media update.

If you have set up the Bitlocker on your PC, I suggest you to look for the recovery key on your Microsoft account. Also, you can refer the article

Find my BitLocker recovery key

Hope it helps.

Regards,

Prakhar Khare

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Prakhar_Khare, Jul 26, 2020
Thema:

Prompt For Bitlocker Recovery Key For Secondary Internal HDD After Reboot

1. Prompt For Bitlocker Recovery Key For Secondary Internal HDD After Reboot - Similar Threads - Prompt Bitlocker Recovery

2. Bitlocker recovery key prompt

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Bitlocker recovery key prompt: Hello,I was prompted for bitlocker recovery key when I tried to boot my windows 10 laptob recently 29th Jan, 2024.Did the recent security update trigger this for anyone else or is it alarming that my device could be compromised? I have run some scans and didn't find any...
  3. Bitlocker recovery key prompt

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Bitlocker recovery key prompt: Hello,I was prompted for bitlocker recovery key when I tried to boot my windows 10 laptob recently 29th Jan, 2024.Did the recent security update trigger this for anyone else or is it alarming that my device could be compromised? I have run some scans and didn't find any...
  4. Bitlocker recovery key prompt

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  5. BitLocker Prompting for Recovery Key after Windows Updates

in Windows 10 Gaming
    BitLocker Prompting for Recovery Key after Windows Updates: I have a ~50 Windows 10 - Dell OptiPlex 7070 desktops setup through Windows AutoPilot that are prompting for both the BitLocker PIN and the Recovery Key after restarting from Windows Updates. Why are these desktops needing both of these to startup after running updates?...
  6. BitLocker Prompting for Recovery Key after Windows Updates

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    BitLocker Prompting for Recovery Key after Windows Updates: I have a ~50 Windows 10 - Dell OptiPlex 7070 desktops setup through Windows AutoPilot that are prompting for both the BitLocker PIN and the Recovery Key after restarting from Windows Updates. Why are these desktops needing both of these to startup after running updates?...
  7. BitLocker Prompting for Recovery Key after Windows Updates

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  8. Repeated prompt for bitlocker recovery key

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Repeated prompt for bitlocker recovery key: Hi, anyone facing this problem recently of getting prompt to enter bitlocker recovery key? im using a ms surface pro6 and had to enter my recovery key every time i restarted my device over the last two days. Appreciate some help here. thanks!...
  9. Suddenly prompted for Bitlocker recovery key

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Suddenly prompted for Bitlocker recovery key: Hi, I rebooted my Surface Pro 4 running Windows 10 Pro (latest updates), and out of the blue I was prompted for a Bitlocker recovery key. I assume this has to do with hard disk encryption, but I have never enabled this. I just clicked continue to Windows 10 and everything...
  10. BitLocker recovery key prompt on startup

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BitLocker recovery key prompt on startup: Hello Support, My Dell Inspiron 15 does not have a TPM and still I am being asked for a recovery key every time I start my laptop all of a sudden. I have to retype the recovery key every time I start the lappy. Can anyone help. Thanks, Kala...