Windows 10: Proper display and adapter not being recognized

Discus and support Proper display and adapter not being recognized in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hello all, I typically use my laptop plugged into an ultrawide high resolution and high refresh rate monitor. I unplugged my laptop to take it with... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Dawgs4ever, Aug 4, 2020.

1. Proper display and adapter not being recognized

Hello all,

I typically use my laptop plugged into an ultrawide high resolution and high refresh rate monitor. I unplugged my laptop to take it with me on a family vacation and I haven't been able to play any games or other apps on the laptop since doing so. When I go into my windows settings and then into display settings, it shows my resolution as locked into 1920x1080 it's grayed out so I can't modify it. This is the proper resolution for my laptop display although it's a little unusual that it doesn't let me change the resolution.

However, when I go into advanced settings, it shows the display as Display1 and provides the following information:

Resolution: 1920x1080

Refresh Rate: 1 hz

Bit Depth: 8-bit

Color Format: RGB

Then, when I click the display adapter properties, it shows the adapter type is Microsoft Basic Display Driver rather than showing my Nvidia driver for my Nvidia 2070 RTX.

Any idea how to get my laptop to recognize my graphics card again now that I'm not using the ultrawide monitor or to otherwise fix this?

Note: If I plug my laptop back into my ultrawide monitor it starts working properly again. But I need to be able to use my laptop even when I'm not at home obviously.

Thanks in advance!

:)

Dawgs4ever, Aug 4, 2020

2. Win10 doesn't know my (compatible) display adapter

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I would suggest you follow the steps below:

Method 1: Run the hardware and devices

Please follow the steps below:

• Type “Troubleshooting” on the Windows Search bar and hit enter.

• On the left side of the Troubleshooting window, click on “View all”

• Click on Hardware and Devices. Please provide a password if asked for it and click ok.

Method 2: Uninstall and reinstall display adapter.

Follow the steps to update the display adapter:

• Press Windows key + R key. Type "devmgmt.msc" and click Enter.

• Expand Display Adapter.

• Double-click on the Display Adapter.

• In Properties, go to Drivers Tab and click on Uninstall.

• Reinstall the Display adapter from the Manufacturer's Website and see if it helps.
    Restart the computer and check.
    Hope this helps. Please respond if you have further related issues.

Regards,

Jesinta Rozario, Aug 4, 2020
  3. Display driver not supporting and device manager not showing Display adapter option

Hi Maheen,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community.

This issue could have occurred due to these reasons:

• Incorrect settings.
    • Corrupt or outdated display driver.
    Try the steps listed here and check if it helps:

Method 1:

I suggest you to download and install all the available Windows Updates including Optional Updates. Check if it helps.

Method 2:

If the issue persists, i suggest you to uninstall and re-install latest display driver from the computer manufacturer website and check if it helps.

Step 1: Uninstall display driver.

• Right-click on the Start Button and click on
      Device manager.
    • Double-click on Display Adapters to expand.
    • Right-click on the display adapter driver that is listed and select properties.
    • In the window opened, click on drivers tab.
    • In the drivers tab, Click on Uninstall option.
    Now restart your computer and check, if the problem persists try step 2.

Step 2:

Re-install display driver from the manufacturer website.

Let us know if the issue is resolved or if you need further assistance, we will be glad to help.

Akheel Ahmed, Aug 4, 2020
  4. Proper display and adapter not being recognized

Microsoft Display Adapter not getting connected to PC

Hi,

Thank you for posting your response.

I would suggest that you follow the steps below and check if you can find the adapter in Device Manager.

1. Right click on the Start Menu and then click on Device Manager.

2. From the list of Hardware, find the Microsoft Display Adapter and check if you can find the device in question.

I would also suggest that you follow the troubleshooting steps provided in the first link and check if it helps.

Vanessa

Vanessa Sohtun, Aug 4, 2020
Thema:

Proper display and adapter not being recognized

1. Proper display and adapter not being recognized - Similar Threads - Proper display adapter

2. Bluetooth adapter not being recognized by Windows

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Bluetooth adapter not being recognized by Windows: After installing drivers for my Bluetooth adapter, I noticed that I can no longer use Bluetooth on my PC since there is no option to turn it on and in Device Manager it says that the adapter is "disconnected" Code 45.And after installing a fresh copy of Windows 10, the...
  3. Bluetooth adapter not being recognized by Windows

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Bluetooth adapter not being recognized by Windows: After installing drivers for my Bluetooth adapter, I noticed that I can no longer use Bluetooth on my PC since there is no option to turn it on and in Device Manager it says that the adapter is "disconnected" Code 45.And after installing a fresh copy of Windows 10, the...
  4. Bluetooth adapter not being recognized by Windows

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. Microsoft Basic Display Adapter not working properly

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Microsoft Basic Display Adapter not working properly: I have two of GIGABYTE RTX 3060TI 8GB installed on my pc, one of the GPUs is working good but another one is showing Microsoft Basic Display Adapter with an error on Device Manager.Device status;This device is not working properly because Windows cannot load the drivers...
  6. Microsoft Basic Display Adapter not working properly

Microsoft Basic Display Adapter not working properly: I have two of GIGABYTE RTX 3060TI 8GB installed on my pc, one of the GPUs is working good but another one is showing Microsoft Basic Display Adapter with an error on Device Manager.Device status;This device is not working properly because Windows cannot load the drivers...
  7. Wifi Adapter is not updating/being recognized

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Wifi Adapter is not updating/being recognized: System details pertinent to the problem: WIndows 10 home OS, Ryzen 3600X CPU, Asus prime X470 motherboard, TP link TX50E wifi 6 and bluetooth adapter. So, I have all the correct indications of the network adapter drivers not being installed i.e. The drivers for this device...
  8. HDR content not being displayed properly

HDR content not being displayed properly: Hi, My windows 10 always send fake hdr metadata 1000/20 metadata instead of the actual MaxCLL/MaxFALL and bogus 1000/0.030 instead of actual Max/Min DL which make HDR content look blindly over bright, while playing the same HDR content with My TV internal player things look...
  9. Microphone Not Being Properly Recognized

in Windows 10 Customization
    Microphone Not Being Properly Recognized: Recently, the popup that allows you to pick what device you've plugged into the audio jack has stopped showing up. How do I re-enable this? It knows that something is plugged in because i can hear the audio through my headset, however it seems to think that im just using...
  10. PCIe Wireless adapter is not being recognized

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    PCIe Wireless adapter is not being recognized: I just bought an ASUS PCE-N53 PCI-E adapter for my PC that I built several months ago. Previously, I was just using ethernet. Put the card in my PCI-E 1 slot, and installed the drivers from the installation disc, but nothing shows up in Device Manager and I have no wireless...