Windows 10: Proper way to take ownership of subfolders in windows directory?

Discus and support Proper way to take ownership of subfolders in windows directory? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; What is the proper way to take ownership of files in %systemroot%\PolicyDefinitions? I need to update just a few *.admx/*.adml administrative templates... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by bamajon1974, Aug 12, 2021.

1. Proper way to take ownership of subfolders in windows directory?

What is the proper way to take ownership of files in %systemroot%\PolicyDefinitions? I need to update just a few *.admx/*.adml administrative templates in %systemroot%\PolicyDefinitions folder. The existing templates are, by default, are owned by TrustedInstaller but I am just a User (with administrative privileges) and thus, I cannot move out or backup the existing templates. Please note I am updating existing templates installed by windows, not adding new templates that are not already present. Do I need to take ownership of the entire folder and files or just the files I need to replace? Who should I transfer ownership from TrustedInstaller to? I assume either User or Administrator and grant full control to read/write/execute but if the is a more appropriate owner, who should it be? When changing ownership, should I enable inheritances? And, after updating the templates, should I change owner back to TrustedInstaller? Thanks!

:)

bamajon1974, Aug 12, 2021

2. Directory Size Utility

Thanks buddy! Yea, this section's not dead. Kreij and I have big plans for this section. I don't want to give nothing away, but we have some bigger projects down the road. *Toast :toast: I feel I'm pretty good at coding with different languages, but I'm well behind Kreij's level of experience with those other Languages. I've been working on those other languages, and soon I'll feel comfortable enough to start, and not feel like I'm holding the project back. *Toast :toast:

Now on to your suggestions.

• maybe you rename Get Folder button caption to something more intuitive? Add Folder, Get Folder Size, Check Folder Size or something like that? Yea, that's been bothering me and I like your suggestion "Add Folder". I'll change it on the next release.
    • Could you add subfolder files to the right pane? (it can be a tickbox with include sub dirs) I could add this, but let me see if I understand what you're asking. By subfolders you mean add all the folders in the left panel to the right panel? Those folders are all the subfolders in the "Get folder".
    • maybe you also add export list to excel? I'll add this on the next release.
    • there's delete file button maybe you add delete folder button too? I'll add this on the next release.
    • and finally maybe you can add UP button for directories? I'll add this on the next release.
    These are all great suggestions! Thanks Drone! *Toast :toast:

Mindweaver, Aug 12, 2021
  3. Drone Win User
    Directory Size Utility

First of all nice utility, Mindweaver!
    Second of all, it's so nice to see that this section ain't dead.

I have a few questions/suggestions, maybe you'd want to see ...
    • maybe you rename Get Folder button caption to something more intuitive? Add Folder, Get Folder Size, Check Folder Size or something like that?
    • Could you add subfolder files to the right pane? (it can be a tickbox with include sub dirs)
    • maybe you also add export list to excel?
    • there's delete file button maybe you add delete folder button too?
    • and finally maybe you can add UP button for directories?

Drone, Aug 12, 2021
  4. sbaker51 Win User

Proper way to take ownership of subfolders in windows directory?

sfc scannow Error-OverlapProper way to take ownership of subfolders in windows directory? :Duplicate ownership for directory

Win 10 Pro (64 bit) on Intel DP-43TF motherboard on an Q9650 core2 quad at 3GHz with 8GB memory.
    sfc /scannow fails at 66% completion with multiple "Error - Overlap: Duplicate ownership for directory" errors with different directories being listed.
    What needs to be done to resolve this issue to fix the issue?

I cannot upload the CBS.log file - the error is "Your file of 9.03 MB bytes exceeds the forum's limit of 2.00 MB for this filetype."

Any suggestions?

sbaker51, Aug 12, 2021
Thema:

Proper way to take ownership of subfolders in windows directory?

1. Proper way to take ownership of subfolders in windows directory? - Similar Threads - Proper ownership subfolders

2. Taking over the ownership

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Taking over the ownership: Hi there,I'm having an issue with files stores within C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Here's the problem:I would like to play Forza Horizon 5 using my steering wheel - Logitech G27.To make it work in the desired way, I would like to add this game to the Logitech Profiler - this...
  3. Taking over the ownership

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Taking over the ownership: Hi there,I'm having an issue with files stores within C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Here's the problem:I would like to play Forza Horizon 5 using my steering wheel - Logitech G27.To make it work in the desired way, I would like to add this game to the Logitech Profiler - this...
  4. Proper way to take ownership of subfolders in windows directory?

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Proper way to take ownership of subfolders in windows directory?: What is the proper way to take ownership of files in %systemroot%\PolicyDefinitions? I need to update just a few *.admx/*.adml administrative templates in %systemroot%\PolicyDefinitions folder. The existing templates are, by default, are owned by TrustedInstaller but I am...
  5. No option to take ownership

in Windows 10 Support
    No option to take ownership: Hi, Win10 Ver 1909 Build 18363.1198 I have folder icons that look like this: [img] All folders with the arrow, return '... Application Data is not accessible . Access Denied" when accessed. I don't have context menu that offers take owner ship. I've run...
  6. Take ownership

Take ownership: Is there an easy way to take ownership of files or folders so they can be deleted. I want to delete Windows.old and some of the Wallpapers I have added to windows 10. Thanks 139644
  7. Take ownership

in Windows 10 Support
    Take ownership: Is there an easy way to take ownership of files or folders so they can be deleted. I want to delete Windows.old and some of the Wallpapers I have added to windows 10. Thanks 139644
  8. Cant take ownership

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Cant take ownership: So my problem started when i was on my steam and i was downloading a game onto my (D:) drive, it gave me a error message saying folder not writable. I narrowed the problem down to making steam folder in my (D:) drive not read only, but every time i try to, i get an error...
  9. Ownership not applying to subfolders of 2nd harddrive?

Ownership not applying to subfolders of 2nd harddrive?: Hi, I search about this and didn't found a solution for this headache i'm having What is going on: i have a second harddrive (not external/usb) and all my files on this is with wrong ownership So, i tried use the "take ownership" menu context helper and also the...
  10. Proper way to regain ownership of user folders after install

Proper way to regain ownership of user folders after install: Now that I have successfully installed Windows with no sfc errors, I am wondering what is the best way to take ownership of user folders from previous install. I have my user folders installed on another drive so when you click on them you get this: [img] Normally...