Windows 10: Proper way to take ownership of subfolders in windows directory?

Discus and support Proper way to take ownership of subfolders in windows directory? in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; What is the proper way to take ownership of files in %systemroot%\PolicyDefinitions? I need to update just a few *.admx/*.adml administrative templates... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by bamajon1974, Aug 14, 2021.

1. Proper way to take ownership of subfolders in windows directory?

What is the proper way to take ownership of files in %systemroot%\PolicyDefinitions? I need to update just a few *.admx/*.adml administrative templates in %systemroot%\PolicyDefinitions folder. The existing templates are, by default, are owned by TrustedInstaller but I am just a User (with administrative privileges) and thus, I cannot move out or backup the existing templates. Please note I am updating existing templates installed by windows, not adding new templates that are not already present. Do I need to take ownership of the entire folder and files or just the files I need to replace? Who should I transfer ownership from TrustedInstaller to? I assume either User or Administrator and grant full control to read/write/execute but if the is a more appropriate owner, who should it be? When changing ownership, should I enable inheritances? And, after updating the templates, should I change owner back to TrustedInstaller? Thanks!

:)

bamajon1974, Aug 14, 2021

2. Proper way to take ownership of subfolders in windows directory?

@Brink has a similar context menu entry to take ownership of files, folders and drives, but his version deliberately excludes adding the right-click option to Program Files, User Files, Windows and C: drive to avoid messing up your system.

So I would rather take ownership of the %sytemroot%\PolicyDefinitions folder the manual, proper way to avoid problems.

3. Proper way to take ownership of subfolders in windows directory?

What is the proper way to take ownership of files in %systemroot%\PolicyDefinitions?

I need to update just a few *.admx/*.adml administrative templates in %systemroot%\PolicyDefinitions folder. The existing templates are, by default, are owned by TrustedInstaller but I am just a User (with administrative privileges) and thus, I cannot move out or backup the existing templates. Please note I am updating existing templates installed by windows, not adding new templates that are not already present.

Do I need to take ownership of the entire folder and files or just the files I need to replace?
    Who should I transfer ownership from TrustedInstaller to? I assume either User or Administrator and grant full control to read/write/execute but if the is a more appropriate owner, who should it be?

When changing ownership, should I enable inheritances?

And, after updating the templates, should I change owner back to TrustedInstaller?

Thanks!

4. Ghot Win User

Proper way to take ownership of subfolders in windows directory?

I've found I make more mistakes trying to do it the "right way".
    So I give my right click menu the option... then use it VERY sparingly. *Smile

I seldom have the need to use it at all. I just like to have the option available.

/edit

You sound like an intelligent, cautious person. Taking the time to go through the permissions settings and take ownership, is comprehensible. It's also a pain. Hence the tool I use, when absolutely necessary.

Just because you have access to scissors, doesn't mean you HAVE to run through the house with them.

Either way, you ARE going to Take Ownership. You don't have to leave that option on the right click menu either.
    There is also a registry patch to remove the option, when you are finished.

Thema:

1. Proper way to take ownership of subfolders in windows directory? - Similar Threads - Proper ownership subfolders

2. Taking over the ownership

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Taking over the ownership: Hi there,I'm having an issue with files stores within C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Here's the problem:I would like to play Forza Horizon 5 using my steering wheel - Logitech G27.To make it work in the desired way, I would like to add this game to the Logitech Profiler - this...
  3. Taking over the ownership

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Taking over the ownership: Hi there,I'm having an issue with files stores within C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Here's the problem:I would like to play Forza Horizon 5 using my steering wheel - Logitech G27.To make it work in the desired way, I would like to add this game to the Logitech Profiler - this...
  4. Proper way to take ownership of subfolders in windows directory?

in Windows 10 Support
    Proper way to take ownership of subfolders in windows directory?: What is the proper way to take ownership of files in %systemroot%\PolicyDefinitions? I need to update just a few *.admx/*.adml administrative templates in %systemroot%\PolicyDefinitions folder. The existing templates are, by default, are owned by TrustedInstaller but I am...
  5. No option to take ownership

in Windows 10 Support
    No option to take ownership: Hi, Win10 Ver 1909 Build 18363.1198 I have folder icons that look like this: [img] All folders with the arrow, return '... Application Data is not accessible . Access Denied" when accessed. I don't have context menu that offers take owner ship. I've run...
  6. Take ownership

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Take ownership: Is there an easy way to take ownership of files or folders so they can be deleted. I want to delete Windows.old and some of the Wallpapers I have added to windows 10. Thanks 139644
  7. Take ownership

in Windows 10 Support
    Take ownership: Is there an easy way to take ownership of files or folders so they can be deleted. I want to delete Windows.old and some of the Wallpapers I have added to windows 10. Thanks 139644
  8. Cant take ownership

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Cant take ownership: So my problem started when i was on my steam and i was downloading a game onto my (D:) drive, it gave me a error message saying folder not writable. I narrowed the problem down to making steam folder in my (D:) drive not read only, but every time i try to, i get an error...
  9. Ownership not applying to subfolders of 2nd harddrive?

Ownership not applying to subfolders of 2nd harddrive?: Hi, I search about this and didn't found a solution for this headache i'm having What is going on: i have a second harddrive (not external/usb) and all my files on this is with wrong ownership So, i tried use the "take ownership" menu context helper and also the...
  10. Proper way to regain ownership of user folders after install

Proper way to regain ownership of user folders after install: Now that I have successfully installed Windows with no sfc errors, I am wondering what is the best way to take ownership of user folders from previous install. I have my user folders installed on another drive so when you click on them you get this: [img] Normally...