Windows 10: Properly "killing" an older W10 installation

Discus and support Properly "killing" an older W10 installation in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I just put in a new SSD and have been in the process of transferring and reinstalling files and apps from my older Win 10 main hard drive to the new... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Kupuna, Jun 21, 2016.

1. Kupuna Win User

Properly "killing" an older W10 installation

I just put in a new SSD and have been in the process of transferring and reinstalling files and apps from my older Win 10 main hard drive to the new SSD. Through the UEFI Bios, I can still boot into either old or new disk but I notice that there may be increasing glitches at the hardware level as I move from drive to drive.
    I would like to deactivate the Win 10 aspect of the old drive. Then I could open it from the new drive and copy data to its new home.
    Am I correct in guessing that even when the old main drive is not booted, it's presence might still cause problems because of its hardware and driver interactions? One thought I have is to fully back up the old drive to my spacious backup drive, then pick up the pieces I might need later from there. I use Macrium Reflect for backup, so I can break out individual files, although it is more difficult than copying them from their present location.
    I feel like I am making this too complex, but I don't want to rush and wipe out data I might need.

:)

Kupuna, Jun 21, 2016
  2. musum Win User

" SOFTWARE UPDATE FAILED "

SO HERE'S THE LINK TO THAT PIC

http://i26.tinypic.com/2ihbdco.jpg

CAN U PLZ CHECK IT ACTUALLY I HAVE USED THE NOKIA SOFTWARE UPDATER B4 ... BUT I DONT KNW WHY I M GETTING THIS ERROR NOW

musum, Jun 21, 2016
  3. musum Win User
    " SOFTWARE UPDATE FAILED "

i have installed windows xp sp2

previously i was using windows media center i thought i might b facing this probs due to that but then i changed it to windows xp ! n moreover i have also shown to nokia service center executives but they were not having the latest updates available ......
    my pc suite is showing that new update version of firmware is available but i cudnt download it Properly "killing" an older W10 installation :(

oh gawd wat to do ? Properly "killing" an older W10 installation :(

i tried in another pc then again i got an error u need to have minimum 256 ram Properly "killing" an older W10 installation :(

please cant it b rectified ? there must b any solution to this probs please help me guyz

god bless all of u thanx Properly "killing" an older W10 installation :)

musum, Jun 21, 2016
  4. CountMike New Member

Best way would be to back up all files you need from that old drive somewhere else and than delete all partitions from it because you will not need them for data drive and they are just taking space. You can re-partition it at will and return files to it from the backup.

CountMike, Jun 21, 2016
Thema:

1. Properly "killing" an older W10 installation - Similar Threads - Properly killing older

2. Finding W10 key on older drive?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Finding W10 key on older drive?: Hi,Just updated my desktop to W11 which I installed on a brand new hard drive.Problem is that W11 is not activating because my W10 key is on my older drive That drive is still in my machine and has all the W10 files intact but is not the main OS anymore basically it is just...
  3. Finding W10 key on older drive?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Finding W10 key on older drive?: Hi,Just updated my desktop to W11 which I installed on a brand new hard drive.Problem is that W11 is not activating because my W10 key is on my older drive That drive is still in my machine and has all the W10 files intact but is not the main OS anymore basically it is just...
  4. W10 driver for older webcam.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    W10 driver for older webcam.: I need a driver for W10 to access a webcam type CIF Single Chip with USB. Tesco Techweb 1 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/w10-driver-for-older-webcam/b3990c24-8e3d-4f00-96bb-b5277d2cf4fd
  5. Microsoft to kill support for x86 w10

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft to kill support for x86 w10: According to this article on Bleeping Computer. That's real bad news for owners of older hardware. 156302
  6. W10 update kills the taskbar

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    W10 update kills the taskbar: First, I'm new to this and thought I posted this already, but there doesn't seem to be any way to find one's own post. After updating the latest W10 my PC eventually kills the bottom taskbar. Placing the cursor there gets a perpetual blue circle. Open applications like mail...
  7. Couple of questions on installing an older build of W10

Couple of questions on installing an older build of W10: My old laptop (Acer Aspire 9301 from 2006) will not even install the latest builds, and 1803 ran very badly. At the moment I'm back to Vista and Google Chrome. I feel I would like to have a last ditch attempt at running an older build such as 1703 or 1709 (whcih I have used...
  8. Older games on W10 mess.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Older games on W10 mess.: Whenever I try to play older games like Medal of Honor (oldest ones), Return to Castle Wallenstein, Battlefield 1,2,3 etc. after exiting them, they leave a mess of my desktop, sending icons all over the place and other 2 monitors. What's even worse, they brake up my Eyefinity...
  9. Vmware - anybody got W10 to install and work properly

Vmware - anybody got W10 to install and work properly: Hi there I see a load of posts about people running W10 as a VM -- I'm curious to know if it's running OK, whether they can install VMware tools (or vbox additions if they are using vbox) and what version of VMware / vbox are they using. I can't get VMware tools to...
  10. Rollback to an older version of W10 M?

in Windows 10 Support
    Rollback to an older version of W10 M?: Hi, I was wondering if there is a way to rollback a phone to say... the anniversary update. Mine has been having battery problems for a while with the new updates and still hapening with the new updates, so I was wondering if there is a way to go back to a previous (Say...