Windows 10: Properties: Compress to save Disk Space

Discus and support Properties: Compress to save Disk Space in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; If I enable Compress to Save Disk Space from a file's properties, what is the trade-off? How significant is the HDD/CPU uncompression process (assuming... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by blksith0, May 30, 2017.

1. blksith0 Win User

Properties: Compress to save Disk Space

If I enable Compress to Save Disk Space from a file's properties, what is the trade-off? How significant is the HDD/CPU uncompression process (assuming that's how windows does it)

:)

blksith0, May 30, 2017

2. I'm attempting to install Win 10 version 16299--am told it can't be installed --Disk controller: the current active partition is compressed.

Is your C:/ or where Windows is installed compressed?

Right Click C:/ and select Properties in Explorer. Uncheck Compress contents to save disk space.

Sumit Dhiman2, May 30, 2017
  3. Windows 10 update

Right Click C:/ or where windows is installed and select properties.

Uncheck the option Compress contents to save disk space.

Sumit Dhiman2, May 30, 2017
  4. Properties: Compress to save Disk Space

It will increase fragmentation and CPU usage. How much, that is individual for each computer depending on the hardware/software. You might not notice any difference, but lets say your CPU will use 50% instead of 10%. Run some benchmarks, then compress and then run them again. You can decompress easily, if needed.

TairikuOkami, May 30, 2017
  5. Bree New Member
    For another thread I tested that...

Problem with audio and video files playback after ntfs folder decompre

...of course, you could always defrag after compression.

As for speed, the trade-off is increased CPU use against decreased disk access. If the disk is a 'spinner' then a highly compressed file may actually be quicker to access (text compresses very well). Jpegs and mp4s don't compress much, so may be slower to access. Either way, you're not likely to notice a big difference with a reasonably fast CPU.

I once ran an old slow XP machine (0.75Ghz CPU) where the entire HDD used ntfs compression. It was slower, but no by much.

6. blksith0 Win User
    I think I should disable it as much as I can on this old laptop slow bottlenecking hard drive of mine. Even though you do have that helpful experience Bree, I want to get as much performance as I can.

What steps should I take in order to disable it? What do you guys recommend I do?

blksith0, May 30, 2017
  7. blksith0 Win User
    Beuller?

My first guess as far as disabling is to just select some root folders and turn this off, ye?
    Are there any negative side effects I should be aware of though?

Properties: Compress to save Disk Space [​IMG]

blksith0, Jun 1, 2017
  8. Brink
    Brink New Member

Brink, Jun 2, 2017
  9. Bree New Member
    Well, decompressing an already compressed file will increase fragmentation, that may well be noticeable "on this old laptop slow bottlenecking hard drive of mine". You'd have to defrag afterwards. In fact, defragmenting a particularly slow drive may be your best bet for improving 'performance' anyway.

Actually having compressed files on the drive doesn't slow the system down, it's accessing them that may be slower. Having compressed files doesn't run processes in the background all the time, the ntfs routines that perform compression are already loaded, but will only run when you read or write to a compressed file or folder.

If you need the space, then compress files or folders you hardly ever use. If you don't, just do a Disk Clean-up and defragment it.

Bree, Jun 2, 2017
  10. cereberus Win User
    Personally, I would not use that option - if your OS gets corrupted, then retrieving data is more complicated if you need to remove drive and put it in another pc.

You can compress the OS using compactos option. Data is not compressed. In the end, buying a larger drive is better.

*Arrow Compress or Uncompress Windows 10 with Compact OS Windows 10 General Tips Tutorials

To compress OS only:
    From an administrative command prompt, simply use the commands:

Compact.exe /CompactOS:query This will query Windows to see if CompactOS is enabled or not

Compact.exe /CompactOS:always
    This will enable CompactOS

Compact.exe /CompactOS:never
    This will disable CompactOS

cereberus, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Properties: Compress to save Disk Space - Similar Threads - Properties Compress save

2. Disk compression

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Disk compression: I'm using Windows 10 with a remote USB Seagate SSD drive that is password protected. My disk filled up. I used the compression feature in Windows to make space. My PC is a laptop. My disk is 1 TB. Evidently the compression feature automatically, file by file compresses them...
  3. Disk compression

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Disk compression: I'm using Windows 10 with a remote USB Seagate SSD drive that is password protected. My disk filled up. I used the compression feature in Windows to make space. My PC is a laptop. My disk is 1 TB. Evidently the compression feature automatically, file by file compresses them...
  4. Disk compression

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. How can I compress files to save space extensively?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How can I compress files to save space extensively?: Files are game files and softwares in zip, exe, MSI, etc formats. You can recommend both windows or Linux method. I will compress them one game/software at a time or in grp. submitted by /u/pragyan52yadav [link] [comments]...
  6. Do "Compress this drive to save disk space" affect in-game frame rate?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Do "Compress this drive to save disk space" affect in-game frame rate?: Do "Compress this drive to save disk space" (RightClick on a drive -> Properties) affect in-game frame rate? submitted by /u/iTz0nlyDoge [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/jr0e8j/do_compress_this_drive_to_save_disk_space_affect/
  7. Customizing Disk Space Pie in Disk Properties?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Customizing Disk Space Pie in Disk Properties?: Could really use some help here please. I would love to change the pie graph in Windows 10 back to the old one. Here's what it looks like in Windows 7: [ATTACH] And in Windows 10 (with Classic theme): [ATTACH] And what I ideally would want it to look like:...
  8. Windows 10 wont stop trying to compress files to "save disk space"

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 wont stop trying to compress files to "save disk space": How can I make windows 10 stop compressing all my files on my c drive to "save space" I really don't care that i have 7 gb of space left since everything else is on other drives. Operating system needs to suck it up and get over it. I have had to compress my user folder and...
  9. compress content to save disk space suddenly set as default.

in Windows 10 Support
    compress content to save disk space suddenly set as default.: Hey! After a recent Windows 10 update to my PC, close to everything on my computer have two blue arrows icons on it, which is "compress content to save disk space" as far as I found out. I didn't even know this was a thing, but now it has been set as default on my computer! I...
  10. Disk Properties is getting free space and used space wrong on my disk drives

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Disk Properties is getting free space and used space wrong on my disk drives: I have a LOT of disk drives attached to my desktop under windows 10. I was surprised recently to get a message that there was not enough free space to hold all of the files and folders that I was trying to move. Free space in Explorer said 1.3 TB. Actual free space turned...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. iex. 9 files properties what is right and wrong to set