Windows 10: Properties for music ex. mp3, m4a files don't show properties in file explorer.

Discus and support Properties for music ex. mp3, m4a files don't show properties in file explorer. in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; As the title says, I can no longer see the properties of the of music files in file explorer.I happened after I uninstalled the K-Lite Codec Pack Full... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by KrisSchneider, Feb 9, 2023.

1. Properties for music ex. mp3, m4a files don't show properties in file explorer.

As the title says, I can no longer see the properties of the of music files in file explorer.I happened after I uninstalled the K-Lite Codec Pack Full shell extension from my computer. I tried re-starting my computer to see if it would restore the music files properties' visibility in file explorer, which didn't work. Furthermore, I then tried using Icaros to solve this problem, to see if this would solve it, which it did not.Is there a way to fix this file explorer specific issue WITHOUT having to reset my computer to base Windows 10?

:)

KrisSchneider, Feb 9, 2023
  2. dalchina Win User

File Explorer displays MP3 details, NOT File Details. How to switch ?

Properties for music ex. mp3, m4a files don't show properties in file explorer. 6234827t-file-explorer-displays-mp3-details-not-file-details-how-switch-snap-2019-08-19-18.13.27.png

Here is a mp3 file with just Title (Concerto Gregoriano) and Composer in its metadata.
    1. In file explorer, I created a new file on my desktop and copied the mp3 file to it.
    As you can see, it is listed with date, size. The folder is a general format type, not music.
    Please try that.

2. To the right, mp3tag, a free utility, shows the metadata in the file.
    You might find it useful to get mp3tag.
    3. Rt click, Properties, Details, shows the Title as part of the metadata. (Composer is off the screen).

I suggest you make sure your mp3's do indeed contain metadata.

(Sorry the Window titles are faint- they are background, but should be clearer)

dalchina, Feb 9, 2023
  3. MP3 file property details

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

We understand your concern, as you are looking for an option to edit the Metadata of the mp3 files. In order to get clarity and to assist you accordingly, please reply with the answers to the questions below.

• What is the Windows 10 version and Build installed? (Type
      winver in Windows search/Run command)
    • Were you able to make the changes in metadata with other details?
    Please provide a screenshot, when you are trying to edit the metadata.
    Please follow the steps mentioned in the
    screenshot
    posted by Shawn ‘Cmdr’ Keene on Oct 2, 2015 to post the screenshots.) Do not share any personal information in the screenshots.

Meanwhile, we would suggest you to perform these steps and check.

1. Press Windows + E to open File Explorer.
    2. Browse the location of the songs you want to edit.
    3. Right-click a song, and select
      Properties. Click the Details tab.
    4. Everything you see in the "Details" tab is part of the metadata information, and you can quickly edit most of it by clicking the value field next to the property. Some of the information that you can update
      includes song title (not the file name), album name, artist, genre, publisher, mood, and much more.
    5. After updating the metadata information, click the
      Apply button.
    6. Click the Ok button.

However, you can also check in Microsoft Store, Apps for MP3 metadata editors and use the one that is suitable for you.

Regards,

Aditya Roy

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Aditya_Roy, Feb 9, 2023
  4. RonKropp Win User

Properties for music ex. mp3, m4a files don't show properties in file explorer.

Windows 10 - after editing MP3 file properties File Explorer crashes

This could be related to the 1803 update.

I opened a folder with MP3 files and edited a file's "Album" property, then saved it.

File Explorer started scanning the album folder, with a green bar moving across the path.

Every time I edited an MP3 file's properties, File Explorer restarted a folder scan, and it never ended, as if it was scanning the entire PC.

Only 10 MP3 files in the album's folder, but File Explorer continued scanning for several minutes.

File Explorer finally would not respond and crashed and disappeared.

After the crash, when I opened a new File Explorer, all I could see was Quick Access. I was not able to navigate anywhere on the File System.

After a reboot, I was able to see the entire File System again.

RonKropp, Feb 9, 2023
Thema:

Properties for music ex. mp3, m4a files don't show properties in file explorer.

1. Properties for music ex. mp3, m4a files don't show properties in file explorer. - Similar Threads - Properties music mp3

2. Problem editing properties of .mp3 files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Problem editing properties of .mp3 files: I have a bunch of .mp3 files from various sources downloads, ripped from CDs, vinyl, etc. Some do not have the Album Artist field filled in, but have Title, Contributing Artist, Album, Genre & Year. If I go to Properties>Details and type in the Album Artist then click OK, all...
  3. Problem editing properties of .mp3 files

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Problem editing properties of .mp3 files: I have a bunch of .mp3 files from various sources downloads, ripped from CDs, vinyl, etc. Some do not have the Album Artist field filled in, but have Title, Contributing Artist, Album, Genre & Year. If I go to Properties>Details and type in the Album Artist then click OK, all...
  4. Properties for music ex. mp3, m4a files don't show properties in file explorer.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Properties for music ex. mp3, m4a files don't show properties in file explorer.: As the title says, I can no longer see the properties of the of music files in file explorer.I happened after I uninstalled the K-Lite Codec Pack Full shell extension from my computer. I tried re-starting my computer to see if it would restore the music files properties'...
  5. Properties for music ex. mp3, m4a files don't show properties in file explorer.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Properties for music ex. mp3, m4a files don't show properties in file explorer.: As the title says, I can no longer see the properties of the of music files in file explorer.I happened after I uninstalled the K-Lite Codec Pack Full shell extension from my computer. I tried re-starting my computer to see if it would restore the music files properties'...
  6. Music file properties

Music file properties: HI,I've been editing my music files with file explorer/groove music app on my laptop. I have transferred those songs to my phone but some songs have missing genre data, or artist name data, etc. I have never had this problem before. I tried to re-edit the files with the issue...
  7. Music file properties

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Music file properties: HI,I've been editing my music files with file explorer/groove music app on my laptop. I have transferred those songs to my phone but some songs have missing genre data, or artist name data, etc. I have never had this problem before. I tried to re-edit the files with the issue...
  8. Music file properties

9. can't change music files ratings such as mp3 in file properties in windows 11

can't change music files ratings such as mp3 in file properties in windows 11: In win 10 I used to right click on any mp3 file and select details tab in properties, then click on the stars next to rating to change it.In win 11, there are no stars, instead it is in written format. So if a file was rated with 3 stars, it'd be written "3 Stars" next to...
  10. MP3 file property details

MP3 file property details: When I update mp3 properties details contributing artist, a drop down window appears with artist names. How do I add artist to this list? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/mp3-file-property-details/16ba24b3-cbf1-48b6-864c-c88c978712bc"