Windows 10: Properties reporting used space MUCH more than the sum of the folder properties sizes.

Discus and support Properties reporting used space MUCH more than the sum of the folder properties sizes. in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; SSD C: shows a "used" size of ~90 GB and the sum of the file folders used size is less than 30 GB - including hidden folders. What is going on?... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by KevinCusack, Sep 6, 2019.

1. Properties reporting used space MUCH more than the sum of the folder properties sizes.

SSD C: shows a "used" size of ~90 GB and the sum of the file folders used size is less than 30 GB - including hidden folders. What is going on?

:)

KevinCusack, Sep 6, 2019
  2. DaveM121 Win User

Directory size of user folder under-reported in "Properties"

Hi wiivile, there is a widely reported bug in Windows 10 version 1803.

File Explorer has lost the ability to calculate space used on drives. It also cannot calculate a folder size if it has a complex sub-folder structure. It is also getting the metadata (properties) of files mixed up.

Microsoft are aware of this bug and will hopefully put out a patch soon for this bug . . .

DaveM121, Sep 6, 2019
  3. sflesch Win User

It's not just you. 1803 changed something.

sflesch, Sep 6, 2019
  4. Properties reporting used space MUCH more than the sum of the folder properties sizes.

Well are you positive your user folder is larger. That is quite a large difference.

Open file explorer properties>>View Tab and select to show hidden files and show protected operating system files

APPLY, APPLY to Folders.

close out all windows and then check you user properties again.

also, how about a photo or size of, and free space left of your C:\ drive located in "THIS PC"

seahawks65, Sep 6, 2019
Thema:

Properties reporting used space MUCH more than the sum of the folder properties sizes.

1. Properties reporting used space MUCH more than the sum of the folder properties sizes. - Similar Threads - Properties reporting used

2. properties of C drive shows more space used than total of all folders on root of C incl....

in Windows 10 Gaming
    properties of C drive shows more space used than total of all folders on root of C incl....: The properties of my local storage C drive show it is using 475 GB of storage. I got the properties of all folders on the root of C drive and the total is only 366 GB. Yes, Hidden and system files are shown. That's over 100GB of space either used or wasted somewhere. I've...
  3. properties of C drive shows more space used than total of all folders on root of C incl....

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    properties of C drive shows more space used than total of all folders on root of C incl....: The properties of my local storage C drive show it is using 475 GB of storage. I got the properties of all folders on the root of C drive and the total is only 366 GB. Yes, Hidden and system files are shown. That's over 100GB of space either used or wasted somewhere. I've...
  4. properties of C drive shows more space used than total of all folders on root of C incl....

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. Incorrect numbers reported in Folder Properties

Incorrect numbers reported in Folder Properties: Hello, I've noticed an error or bug that has begun occurring in the last month with the Properties box. I have a folder that contains more than 4 terabytes of data in more than 23,000 files and yet when I right click within the folder and select Properties, the popup box...
  6. Folder size in disk properties and folder properties

in Windows 10 Support
    Folder size in disk properties and folder properties: I've just moved data from three HDs to one 8Tb hard drive. Everything is there, but the folder size reporting is weird, just weird. See attached...single top level folder is reported as 465Gb - folders within that are larger are reported as such (see pic 5 of 5 in the zip). I...
  7. Mouse Hover Over Folder Shows File Size Much Greater Than Properties Shows It

Mouse Hover Over Folder Shows File Size Much Greater Than Properties Shows It: Greetings: I have a folder containing photos, Word docs, music, etc. A mouse hover over the folder shows a file size of approximately 20 GB. But when right click on the folder and select properties, it shows a size of roughly 6 GB. Which is it and why the discrepancy?...
  8. Directory size of user folder under-reported in "Properties"

in Windows 10 Support
    Directory size of user folder under-reported in "Properties": I'm trying to ascertain the size of my User folder. Right clicking on C:\Users\myusername directory shows 297 GB, however, I know it is much larger than that; a certain folder within my User folder, for example, is over 400GB. I believe the size of my User folder is actually...
  9. Incorrect directory size reported in "Properties"

in Windows 10 Support
    Incorrect directory size reported in "Properties": I'm trying to ascertain the size of my User folder. Right clicking on C:\Users\myusername directory shows 297 GB, however, I know it is much larger than that; the a certain folder within my User folder, for example, is over 400GB. I believe the size of the folder is actually...
  10. Folder Properties in Explorer under-reporting disk space

in Windows 10 Support
    Folder Properties in Explorer under-reporting disk space: Hi all The major update to Windows 10 was rolled out to my PC several days ago. Except for the issue I am reporting in this post, everything looks fine and the new and updated features all look good! However since the update the space usage being reported when I select the...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. when hover over folder it shows size but properties shows very less size