Windows 10: Protect only formulas from delete/backspace allow edit in cells

Discus and support Protect only formulas from delete/backspace allow edit in cells in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; This seems to be a mystery online how to protect a cell (Calculations only) on a protected sheet with a formula included from being deleted when... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by MikeConner1, Jun 21, 2019.

1. Protect only formulas from delete/backspace allow edit in cells

This seems to be a mystery online how to protect a cell (Calculations only) on a protected sheet with a formula included from being deleted when someone hits Delete or Backspace in the cell without deleting the formula as well. Is there a way to protect only the Formula/Mathematics from being removed when someone does this? I have a Gantt chart that updates an end date from a task duration. The end date cell can also be edited to update the actual complete time cell updating my timeline. Any help please I just don't need my staff erasing my formulas but need the cell editable. Thanks

:)

MikeConner1, Jun 21, 2019
  2. Helmut Win User

Puts formula in cell instead of result

You have formatted the Cell(s) as text. Delete the contents and change format to General and enter again.

Or change the Cell to general format and re-enter from the formula bar.

Helmut, Jun 21, 2019
  3. Vasile M. Win User
    Simple spreadsheet will not allow editing

Hello TeresaRutledge,

Thanks For the forum entry.

THis information will give you a good understanding what can be done and what cant.

http://www.windowsphone.com/en-US/how-to/wp7/office/office-mobile-faq

there is as well the information that is most likely related to the issue

You might not be able to edit a Microsoft Office document on your phone depending on what's in it or how it was last saved. Here are some of the more common things that make a document read-only on your phone.

The file is:

• Saved as an older type of Microsoft Office document, such as a Microsoft Word 97-2003 document (.doc), Microsoft Excel 97-2003 workbook (.xls), or Microsoft PowerPoint 97-2003 presentation (.ppt).
    • Digitally signed.
    • Marked as final.
    • Protected using rights management.
    • Protected with a password.
    • Protected with restricted editing rights.
    Microsoft Word documents are read-only if they have:

• Track changes enabled.
    • Frames.
    • Custom markup (customxml, sdt tags, or smart tags).
    • XML where the XML tags have unsupported values.
    Microsoft Excel workbooks are read-only if they have:

• Formulas that aren't supported on the phone.
    • Scenarios.
    • Data validation in one or more cells.
    • Array formulas.
    • Data tables.
    • Slicers.
    • Macros enabled.
    • Large column or row widths.
    • Formulas that contan links or references to other workbooks.
    • Formulas with structured references.
    • Formulas that contain references, content, or formatting beyond cell IV16384.
    • Longer formulas, such as a formula that is longer than 512 characters or has more than 30 arguments in it.
    • Shared workbooks with tracked changes.
    • Workbooks with dialog sheets.
    • XML markup that isn't formed correctly.
    • OLE objects or ActiveX controls.
    For Microsoft OneNote notebooks:

• You can’t edit a page from a notebook that was sent as an email attachment.
    • A notebook that is shared on SkyDrive or on a Microsoft SharePoint site and marked as read-only.
    • A page that only contains content that’s not supported in Microsoft OneNote Mobile, such as ink drawings, shapes, or unsupported images.
    • A notebook that has a corrupted page.
    For Microsoft PowerPoint presentations, you can only make certain types of edits on your phone. Some examples include editing text in a text box, changing the order of slides, or hiding slides. For more information about editing a PowerPoint presentation
    on your phone, see
    Using Microsoft PowerPoint Mobile 2010

Best Regards

Vasile M., Jun 21, 2019
  4. meebers Win User

Protect only formulas from delete/backspace allow edit in cells

Puts formula in cell instead of result

Sometime when a cell does not produce the correct solution with a formula, there may be a hidden entry/format there that would mess with it. Right click the cell and choose "clear contents" then try the formula again. Is this the only cell doing this, or are others showing the same problem??

meebers, Jun 21, 2019
Thema:

Protect only formulas from delete/backspace allow edit in cells

1. Protect only formulas from delete/backspace allow edit in cells - Similar Threads - Protect formulas delete

2. I'm trying to find the proper formula for figuring out the number of numbers in a cell, not...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I'm trying to find the proper formula for figuring out the number of numbers in a cell, not...: Hello, if I have a cell with the numbers containing: 1,5,3,9,7,2 what formula would I use so that way I could see 6. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/im-trying-to-find-the-proper-formula-for-figuring/1e620b43-a1c5-44b9-8544-30e4cc4b845a
  3. how do i hide formula and lock cell in excel 21

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how do i hide formula and lock cell in excel 21: dkdljldjldjkd;ls https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-hide-formula-and-lock-cell-in-excel-21/1959cc34-8a64-43d0-8e0e-136b0c46e4b9
  4. how do i hide formula and lock cell in excel 21

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    how do i hide formula and lock cell in excel 21: dkdljldjldjkd;ls https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-hide-formula-and-lock-cell-in-excel-21/1959cc34-8a64-43d0-8e0e-136b0c46e4b9
  5. Protect file from deletion while allowing read.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Protect file from deletion while allowing read.: Thank you for helping me protect myself from me. Yes, I know how to recover from the recycle bin, have backups and can replace the files. It is just to easy to highlight a file and touch the delete key.I have templates I wish to keep. They are read-only, however that does not...
  6. Protect file from deletion while allowing read.

Protect file from deletion while allowing read.: Thank you for helping me protect myself from me. Yes, I know how to recover from the recycle bin, have backups and can replace the files. It is just to easy to highlight a file and touch the delete key.I have templates I wish to keep. They are read-only, however that does not...
  7. Backspace and delete keys are not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Backspace and delete keys are not working: After recent Windows 11 update 22H2 delete key and backspace keys are not working. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/backspace-and-delete-keys-are-not-working/ac3b1e15-f293-40ec-93c8-f8bb2ab18409
  8. Backspace and delete keys are not working

Backspace and delete keys are not working: After recent Windows 11 update 22H2 delete key and backspace keys are not working. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/backspace-and-delete-keys-are-not-working/ac3b1e15-f293-40ec-93c8-f8bb2ab18409
  9. Cell formulas in excel spreadsheets

in Windows 10 Customization
    Cell formulas in excel spreadsheets: Can someone help me to I presume clear formatting in cells. I'm entering a column of numbers in this case planting space guides for vegetables and every once in awhile a random cell will revert to a date. For example, if you look down the column you see 15-30, 40-50, Oct-15...
  10. Puts formula in cell instead of result

in Microsoft Office and 365
    Puts formula in cell instead of result: Hi all,,,, I don't know what is wrong with my spreadsheet but I put VLOOKUP(E17,B1:C16,2,1) into the cell E20 and instead of putting the result in E20 it puts the formula. I have treble checked and the data is correct and the cells formatting are correct, can someone help...