Windows 10: Protect W10 Computer from password being changed

Discus and support Protect W10 Computer from password being changed in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; I’m afraid I already know the answer but I’ll ask anyway. We have an older relative that we watch over because she lives alone and is not able to... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by malleichter, Sep 14, 2018.

1. Protect W10 Computer from password being changed

I’m afraid I already know the answer but I’ll ask anyway.

We have an older relative that we watch over because she lives alone and is not able to successfully manage her life on her own. She lives 120 miles away and A computer is an important tool to help us manage things like her food shopping and other day to day activities. She uses the computer for email, online games etc for entertainment.

She constantly has minor issues that i am able to fix remotely using various remote ccess packages. Her problem is she can’t say no to scammers that call her and tell her she has a problem with her computer. She let them log in and you all know the rest of the story. They lock up her computer and then want money to unlock it.

I the past 4 years I have loaded her computer probably 15 times. Is there a way to prevent that in windows or any software available that can lock down the computer so the scammers can’t change things??

i am a retired computr tech who used to be up on these tools and techniques but as we all know, technology moves ahead at lightening speed and what works today doesn’t work tomorrow.

She stores Nothing of any value or confidential nature on this computer. She has no electronic bank on it. The only purchasing that is done is for an online grocery purchasing application. I don’t even load office or anything similar becuse she doesn’t need it. The computer simply needs to have web acess so she cant do email and play her games (even though I try to convince her that those are ll sorts of marware, viruses etc.

:)

malleichter, Sep 14, 2018
  2. David Haz Win User

Password Change on the Computer

Hello,

You may change your local user account password by following the steps below:

• Press Ctrl + Alt + Delete, and then click
      Change a password.
    • Type your old password followed by a new password as indicated, and then type the new password again to confirm it.
    • Press Enter.

If you have further questions, feel free to ask us.

Regards.

David Haz, Sep 14, 2018
  3. password protect

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community forum.

I would suggest you to provide some information to help you better.

• Are you referring to BIOS password as Boot password?
    • Is it a login password which you are referring when Windows starts?
    If Login password, provided you are using Local Account on Windows 10 you may follow the below steps:
    • Press Windows + R keys to open Run command
    • Type " control userpasswords2 "
    • Select the account and uncheck "user must login with password"
    • Select apply and Ok.
    If Boot password you may have to contact your computer manufacturer.

Keep us posted to help you better.

Sachin Venkatesh, Sep 14, 2018
  4. Protect W10 Computer from password being changed

Password Protected Sharing, Password required is an old password.

I want to see files on a W10 computer from a W7 computer via WiFi or Ethernet LAN.

Advance Sharing Settings:

Windows 10 and Windows 7, File Sharing, Password Protected Sharing is "On" for both computers. No "User group" is setup on either computer.

Steps:

I use "Windows Explorer" on W7 to navigate to W10 through "Network" in navigation pane.

W10 and "Users" are visible on W7.

When I click on the desired user, the following popup opens:

"Enter Network Password"

"Enter your password to connect to:W10"

When I enter L:
    *** Email address is removed for privacy *** and CURRENT password, it is rejected. Files and folders on W10 are not shared.

When I enter L: *** Email address is removed for privacy *** and OLD
    password, it is accepted. Files and folders on W10 are shared.

I expected the required password to be the same as I use to log directly into W10; the
    CURRENT password. How can I update the required password to be the current password?

Regards,

Paul Bristol

Paul L Bristol, Sep 14, 2018
Thema:

Protect W10 Computer from password being changed

1. Protect W10 Computer from password being changed - Similar Threads - Protect W10 Computer

2. Password protected Computer

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Password protected Computer: My son purchased a computer with a solid state HD. He WAS a former Microsoft employee and I know he used passwords on everything. I recieved notice Monday that he had passed away and I am leaving Monday to go to his city. Most of his info, including his will and where her...
  3. Password protected Computer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Password protected Computer: My son purchased a computer with a solid state HD. He WAS a former Microsoft employee and I know he used passwords on everything. I recieved notice Monday that he had passed away and I am leaving Monday to go to his city. Most of his info, including his will and where her...
  4. Password protected Computer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Protect cookies from being deleted ?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Protect cookies from being deleted ?: This question has been asked several times but as yet no-one has specifically answered - IS IT POSSIBLE ?All responses to date have essentially been explanations of what they are, but like other enquirors I would like to run clean-up on my private personal pc without having...
  6. Protect cookies from being deleted ?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Protect cookies from being deleted ?: This question has been asked several times but as yet no-one has specifically answered - IS IT POSSIBLE ?All responses to date have essentially been explanations of what they are, but like other enquirors I would like to run clean-up on my private personal pc without having...
  7. Protect cookies from being deleted ?

in Windows 10 Customization
  8. Trying to change protected password

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Trying to change protected password: Tried net user in command prompt. Tried the normal ways, it's not connected with a Microsoft account. It's not changeable through regular settings. No chance through user accounts. submitted by /u/SpiritWolf1992 [link] [comments]...
  9. Changing W10 password

Changing W10 password: I am unsure whether my account is classed as Microsoft or Local How do I tell ? Under PC > my info it does give option to manage my account - so does that mean it is a Microsoft on-line account >? Now the main point - I'm confused over passwords. I can log into PC...
  10. Password protect a folder W10

Password protect a folder W10: Hi. looking for a password manager to protect a folder in my documents,Did some search and came across this one that I found on inserting password protect a folder into the search box top right. Does any one know anything about this software Please or any other similar...