Windows 10: Protect Your Privacy

Discus and support Protect Your Privacy in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Here's something from Tom's Hardware: How To Browse Privately After Congress Nixed FCC Protections Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by Wynona, Apr 2, 2017.

1. Wynona Win User

Protect Your Privacy

Wynona, Apr 4, 2017

2. Thanks Wynona for the updates. Using TorGuard app and Tor Browser beta is default.

Same ball game in the UK making Ubuntu not so attractive. What are you looking at?:
    Here are 48 Organizations that can now Access the UKs Browser History |

US29.95$/year
    Edit: TorGuard requires an Internet connection 50/10 minimum for live streaming in HD (regular browser). Mine is VDSL and I don't have any lag issues if the host streaming capability is high enough.

MikeMecanic, Apr 4, 2017
  3. simrick Win User
    [per Wynona's request, re-posted from LOTPW thread)

Well, it's interesting to look at that site I found comparing all the VPN services - the more green the better:
    That One Privacy Site | Simple VPN Comparison Chart

And the jurisdiction column is important. In addition to making sure they have a clear privacy policy and don't save any logs, it seems you don't want a service based in the USA either, and here's why:
    Privacy Tools - Encryption Against Global Mass Surveillance

Of course, if you have nothing to hide, then it doesn't really matter, but why would you want to pay for a service which could potentially offer up your data anyway when you're trying to hide it?

I've also been trying to understand all the other columns, and specifically how they rank on the service I'm trying out (WindScribe).
    I've installed their Windows client, and browser extensions for Firefox and Chrome.

I am on a trial with DirecTV NOW, and have found that I have to whitelist that browser tab, in order for it to stream, since they serve you based on IP address. I imagine I'd have to do the same for PSVue.

I'm really liking WindScribe. Easy install, easy UI, no Conduit or any other crap installed with it. It can be installed in the router, but I don't think I'd do that. I can add it to my Android phone as well. I've sent a couple support emails, got answers from the founder of the service. He sent me a BETA Windows client to trial. I know they're relatively new, but they are #2 on a list for most secure, and have good reviews from a lot of places.

That's about it so far for my research.

simrick, Apr 4, 2017
  4. Wynona Win User

Protect Your Privacy

Thank you, Simrick. All information is appreciated.

Wynona, Apr 4, 2017
  5. DerDonc Win User
    What about the VPN which is built into Opera?

DerDonc, Apr 4, 2017
  6. simrick Win User
    Opera was sold to a Chinese company. You want to trust it?

simrick, Apr 4, 2017
  7. DerDonc Win User
    That is what I had in mind actually. The company who bought Opera seems not to be worthtrusty. Opera on the other hand claim that everything privacy related concerning the browser is still under norwegian law, which is more privacy oriented than the (possibly) upcoming changes to the US law regarding that matter.

DerDonc, Apr 4, 2017
  8. Protect Your Privacy

This only happens to me when I go to NewEgg and look at stuff. I will get an email from them with suggestion.

Josey Wales, Apr 4, 2017
  9. simrick Win User
    Still wouldn't trust them. *Wink

The law is not "being changed". The rules to protect our privacy were due to go into effect later this year. That has now been rescinded. Technically, if your ISP was already selling your online data, they would have had to stop later this year; now they wouldn't have to stop.

A browser plugin is only part of the solution. You need an OS client to protect all internet activity - there are plenty of other programs that connect to the internet outside your browser. You also need to be using the HTTPS Everywhere browser plugin.

simrick, Apr 4, 2017
  10. In addition to installing VPN Unlimited I added OpenDNS.

You will need to make a Free account for Open DNS to use the Marcs Updater.
    Home Internet Security | OpenDNS

Basic instructions for setting up the 'Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4)' are here :
    Windows 10 Configuration Instructions OpenDNS

Then following instructions from simrick were done after the basic instructions above were completed.

To set up the 'Internet Protocol Version 6 (TCP/IPv6)' gaining access to them in the same manner as above.
    But this time find the 6(CP/IPv6 Here.

Protect Your Privacy [​IMG]

Click on Properties to see the next screen.

Then enter here :
    On the first line in the red box enter: 2620:0:ccc::2
    On the second line in the red box enter: 2620:0:ccd::2

After entering the correct number in the box,
    Place a check mark by "Validate settings upon exit". Click OK.

This is needed to be done for all the Ethernet and WiFi connections on your computer.

I did three on mine. one at a time.

Now you need to download Marcs Updater Marcs Updater - Downloads

Edit: I downloaded this version

Version 1.5.3.300 It is the third one down.

After you install this, you will need to enter the name and password from the Open DNS account.
    Here.

In the right column, under the center drop down, choose OpenDNS.com as DNS Service provider.

Finally I used this to test how if worked.
    IP/DNS Detect - What is your IP, what is your DNS, what informations you send to websites.

This test showed there was a leak in mine using Firefox which the following closed.

In Mozilla Firefox: Type "about:config” in the address bar. Scroll down to “media.peerconnection.enabled”, double click to set it to false.

This is found at the bottom of the page for the above link.

COMPUTIAC Guest, Apr 6, 2017
  11. Wynona Win User
    Thanks, Bob! I needed that.

Wynona, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Protect Your Privacy

1. Protect Your Privacy - Similar Threads - Protect Privacy

2. Cannot turn on Privacy Protection on MS Defender in iPhone

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot turn on Privacy Protection on MS Defender in iPhone: Cannot turn on Privacy Protection on MS Defender in iPhone https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cannot-turn-on-privacy-protection-on-ms-defender/eb14a286-90d5-47f7-bdfb-9aa6a5e7508f
  3. Cannot turn on Privacy Protection on MS Defender in iPhone

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cannot turn on Privacy Protection on MS Defender in iPhone: Cannot turn on Privacy Protection on MS Defender in iPhone https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cannot-turn-on-privacy-protection-on-ms-defender/eb14a286-90d5-47f7-bdfb-9aa6a5e7508f
  4. Cannot turn on Privacy Protection on MS Defender in iPhone

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  5. Do not have access to Virus & threat protection in Privacy & security settings in Windows 11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Do not have access to Virus & threat protection in Privacy & security settings in Windows 11: Virus & threat protection is listed as an option under Protection areas but when I click on it it says “ Page not available - Your IT administrator has limited access to some areas of this app, and the item you tried to access is not available. Contact IT helpdesk for more...
  6. Do not have access to Virus & threat protection in Privacy & security settings in Windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Do not have access to Virus & threat protection in Privacy & security settings in Windows 11: Virus & threat protection is listed as an option under Protection areas but when I click on it it says “ Page not available - Your IT administrator has limited access to some areas of this app, and the item you tried to access is not available. Contact IT helpdesk for more...
  7. How can I protect my privacy?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How can I protect my privacy?: When you install Windows 10 there are some options about data collection. How can I be sure that by disabling those option my privacy is secured? Is there any other option that is hidden or anything? submitted by /u/SixtySecondsToGo [link] [comments]...
  8. How can we protect the privacy and identity?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    How can we protect the privacy and identity?: By our security service provider. how reliable is the security. How many secure lock before they well open any alarm signal before they well enter the secure area of responsibility....
  9. Twitter launching privacy center for more data protection clarity

in Windows 10 News
    Twitter launching privacy center for more data protection clarity: It’s so common to hear tech companies say: “Privacy is not a privilege; it is a fundamental right” that those words have become a cliche. People have become desensitized to hearing companies say, “we value your privacy,” and are worn out from being asked to accept privacy...
  10. Online security 101: How to protect your privacy

in Windows 10 News
    Online security 101: How to protect your privacy: "I have nothing to hide" was once the standard response to the occasional surveillance experience by way of cameras, border checks, or casual questioning by law enforcement. Privacy used to be considered generally balanced in many countries -- at least, in the West -- with a...