Windows 10: Protected Boot and a VM (Not talking about UEFI)

Discus and support Protected Boot and a VM (Not talking about UEFI) in Windows 10 Virtualization to solve the problem; Hi there While reading some threads about Ms's possible insistence on "Protected Boot" in the future I was wondering what this would do to the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Virtualization' started by jimbo45, Mar 24, 2015.

1. jimbo45 Win User

Protected Boot and a VM (Not talking about UEFI)

Hi there

While reading some threads about Ms's possible insistence on "Protected Boot" in the future I was wondering what this would do to the literally zillions of Virtual machines / Virtual desktops and other "Virtual desktop Integration" schemes around the world.

As far as I know Virtual machine software (VMware / VBOX etc) doesn't have any facilities yet (or likely to) in its Virtual Bios to set up protected boot schemes - and in any case that rather minimizes the use of VM's with regard to portability or deployment.

Note here I'm NOT speaking about UEFI which can be handled quite decently on VM's even on Non UEFI hardware.

I can currently run the SAME VM (even the same VM disks) on Linux or Windows Hosts and run it on an almost infinite number of machines.

Protected boot would kill that whole type of convenience.

Cheers
    jimbo

:)

jimbo45, Mar 24, 2015

2. Installing Windows 10 on a virtual machine

Use a Legacy VM (not UEFI/Secure Boot) for 32-bit or use 64-bit Windows 10 on the VM. You probably cannot activate Windows on the VM.

Don Cuthbert, Mar 24, 2015
  3. No "Windows Boot Manager" entry of Boot Configuration of UEFI for Surface Pro 4

I am talking about a Surface Pro 4 and it appears that the Windows Boot Manager can be deleted in the UEFI/Boot Configuration: there is a trash icon next to it. Also, as I referred to in my original post, there is a statement on the Microsoft site that
    the Windows Boot Manager can be deleted, but will be re-instated on the next reboot. This did not happen for me.

When I say deleted I am talking about as an entry on the Boot Configuration entry in the UEFI, not the actual BOOTMGR.

I can not change the boot priority since I am missing the Windows Boot Manager entry; that is the idea of my original post.

Thanks,

Alan

AlanFeinstein, Mar 24, 2015
Thema:

Protected Boot and a VM (Not talking about UEFI)

1. Protected Boot and a VM (Not talking about UEFI) - Similar Threads - Protected Boot talking

2. There are tons of people with I'm talking about those with uefi bios that have PCs totally...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    There are tons of people with I'm talking about those with uefi bios that have PCs totally...: When is Microsoft going to stop this madness? This screams class action lawsuit. Why is Microsoft not removing this feature? It's causing only huge problems and it really doesn't help stoping Any malware. The kind of malware that would hijack your boot process is going to be...
  3. There are tons of people with I'm talking about those with uefi bios that have PCs totally...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    There are tons of people with I'm talking about those with uefi bios that have PCs totally...: When is Microsoft going to stop this madness? This screams class action lawsuit. Why is Microsoft not removing this feature? It's causing only huge problems and it really doesn't help stoping Any malware. The kind of malware that would hijack your boot process is going to be...
  4. lockscreen talking about LGBTQ

in Windows 10 Gaming
    lockscreen talking about LGBTQ: why i see enough on t'v if you want to be that way fine but i shouldn't have to see anything about it in my own homemaybe i should switch to linux then put up with bill gates leftist agenda...
  5. lockscreen talking about LGBTQ

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    lockscreen talking about LGBTQ: why i see enough on t'v if you want to be that way fine but i shouldn't have to see anything about it in my own homemaybe i should switch to linux then put up with bill gates leftist agenda...
  6. What PUPs is this talking about?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    What PUPs is this talking about?: I keep getting the following when I open Windows Explorer to the downloads folder on my other, older computer. I'm logged in using a standard account, but know the admin password.How do I figure out what PUP Windows security is talking about? Clicking on it brings up "Virus &...
  7. UEFI boot VM's on non UEFI systems

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    UEFI boot VM's on non UEFI systems: Hi folks if you want to test such things as UEFI boot or even Secure boot on a VM running on older hardware that doesn't have UEFI boot it's still easily possible. On for example Linux host running KVM/QEMU a Windows VM ( This also works on Windows hosts running VMWare for...
  8. UEFI BOOT

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    UEFI BOOT: Hi Smart People Dell Inspiron i5-3x Win10 I recently installed Crucial MS500 500MB SSD replacing a HDD after cloning (Acronis software that is provided by Crucial) and it's experiencing Boot issues. When booting normally it brings me to a screen asking me to select my...
  9. Let's Talk About Edge

in Browsers and Email
    Let's Talk About Edge: Edge is a nice browser, currently my default. But Edge does not have a Command Bar to save a page to file (Documents). The only way to delete all Edge favorites at the same time is to "dig" deep into the system to find the Favorites folder or run a bat file. The...
  10. UEFI VM in non UEFI machine - Yes its possible

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    UEFI VM in non UEFI machine - Yes its possible: Hi there Remember if you are using VMWARE you can try out a UEFI guest even if your HOST doesn't support it. In the configuration file set the following firmware="efi" That's it !!! Note you must do this BEFORE installing the VM - you can't change it...