Windows 10: Protecting external disks, USB, etc with a PASSWORD, not an Encryption

Discus and support Protecting external disks, USB, etc with a PASSWORD, not an Encryption in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Not asking for 'encryption' as it can takes forever on a GIGABYTE disk, let alone a TERABYTE disk to encrypt. My HD's are not 'securable' where I am.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by jagman, Jul 6, 2021.

1. jagman Win User

Protecting external disks, USB, etc with a PASSWORD, not an Encryption

Not asking for 'encryption' as it can takes forever on a GIGABYTE disk, let alone a TERABYTE disk to encrypt. My HD's are not 'securable' where I am. But most want to talk about BitLocker but it I think it is an encrypted AND does not come with HOME. . I have couple of 5/6 TB disks. ANYONE know of a reasonably priced software that can PW protect an existing, full, HD, Flash, USB, or SSD with just a PW to "lock" it? I prefer a ONE TIME subscription so don't have to keep remembering to pay a yearly renewal. Windows 10 HOME, latest version.

:)

jagman, Jul 6, 2021

2. Can't encrypt or password protect folders?

Hi,

Thank you for posting on Microsoft Community. I understand the inconvenience you faced.
    I will certainly help you with this.

The information which you have provided is not enough for us to determine the issue. Please provide us more information.

• Are you logging-in using Administrator User account?
    • Is this issue specific to any particular folder or persist in all the folders?

Encrypting File System (EFS) is a feature of Windows that you can use to store information on your hard disk in an encrypted format. Encryption is the strongest protection that Windows provides to help you keep your information secure. I suggest you to try
    log-in through other Administrator account and perform the below given steps to encrypt the folder and check if it works:

How to encrypt a file

• Right-click (or tap and hold) a file or folder and select Properties.
    • Select the Advanced... button and select the Encrypt contents to secure data check box.
    • Select OK to close the Advanced Attributes window, select
      Apply, and then select OK.

Please post back with the results and the information asked, we will be glad to assist you further.

Thank you.

Parth P Patel, Jul 6, 2021
  3. external drive and encryption?

This question is two-fold.

First I would like an external enclosure that is rugged and shock resistant (static electricity and the like, being winter and all) for a 3.5inch SATA drive.
    Barring that, an external drive with the above. What would you guys recommend?

Also, I was wondering, is there a tool to encrypt the entire hard drive, but that does NOT ask to format said encrypted disk? I tried TrueCrypt, and last time I did, it asked me to format the drive because it was not recognized. I know there are alternatives, but I forgot their names. Price is of no concern if it is able to do so. any suggestions? Does Windows not show "drive must be formatted" on TrueCrypt drives anymore?

Best way would be if I plug in the drive, it asks for password automatically or something...

speedy11131, Jul 6, 2021
  4. Protecting external disks, USB, etc with a PASSWORD, not an Encryption

Bitlocker encrypted disks loading without password in Windows 10

Hi,

I have several external USB backup disks all encrypted with Windows 7 Bitlocker but every disk loads up under Windows 10 without entering any password and all show as having no Bitlocker status. I tried encrypting one or two again with Bitlocker under Windows
    10 but they still load up in Windows 10 without asking for any password at all and show as unencrypted. I am also really frustrated that it takes over 24 hours to encrypt a newly formatted 2TB disk! How can it be so inefficient to encrypt an empty disk? Much
    more serious is why is Windows 10 allowing a Bitlocker encrypted disk to be loaded via USB as an unencrypted disk without asking for the password?

James.

James Ramsden, Jul 6, 2021
Thema:

Protecting external disks, USB, etc with a PASSWORD, not an Encryption

1. Protecting external disks, USB, etc with a PASSWORD, not an Encryption - Similar Threads - Protecting external disks

2. usb: "This disk is write-protected"

in Windows 10 Gaming
    usb: "This disk is write-protected": I hate this alot, I tried editing Registry Editor and command prompt, but nothing worked. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/usb-this-disk-is-write-protected/09c31158-ee9a-441a-8a2f-390932d29b1f
  3. usb: "This disk is write-protected"

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    usb: "This disk is write-protected": I hate this alot, I tried editing Registry Editor and command prompt, but nothing worked. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/usb-this-disk-is-write-protected/09c31158-ee9a-441a-8a2f-390932d29b1f
  4. usb: "This disk is write-protected"

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. How do I password protect a USB external disk drive without encrypting the data?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I password protect a USB external disk drive without encrypting the data?: I have a Western Digital external disk drive I use in a USB port, and I would like to password protect the drive but I don't require encrypting the data. Seems this would be easy to do, but I can't find a utility that doesn't require encryption.If anyone wishes to respond, my...
  6. How do I password protect a USB external disk drive without encrypting the data?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I password protect a USB external disk drive without encrypting the data?: I have a Western Digital external disk drive I use in a USB port, and I would like to password protect the drive but I don't require encrypting the data. Seems this would be easy to do, but I can't find a utility that doesn't require encryption.If anyone wishes to respond, my...
  7. Protecting external disks, USB, etc with a PASSWORD, not an Encryption

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Protecting external disks, USB, etc with a PASSWORD, not an Encryption: Not asking for 'encryption' as it can takes forever on a GIGABYTE disk, let alone a TERABYTE disk to encrypt. My HD's are not 'securable' where I am. But most want to talk about BitLocker but it I think it is an encrypted AND does not come with HOME. . I have couple of 5/6 TB...
  8. Protecting external disks, USB, etc with a PASSWORD, not an Encryption

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Protecting external disks, USB, etc with a PASSWORD, not an Encryption: Not asking for 'encryption' as it can takes forever on a GIGABYTE disk, let alone a TERABYTE disk to encrypt. My HD's are not 'securable' where I am. But most want to talk about BitLocker but it I think it is an encrypted AND does not come with HOME. .I have couple of 5/6 TB...
  9. External hard disk encryption

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    External hard disk encryption: Hello I have an encrypted seagate external hard disk by bitlocker. couple of weeks ago my window 10 updated and it's showing error password is incorrect , even though I have not changed it. I have tried recovery key it says same for it. Have tried installing and...
  10. Reflect image password protection and encryption...

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Reflect image password protection and encryption...: Licensed Macrium Reflect v.7.1.2885 on Windows 10 Professional, 64-bits... The system has three drives for different purposes, such as system, business and personal data. Yes, a dual purpose small business PC... The current schedule creates a full image of all of the...