Windows 10: Protocol numbers? -- setting in Windows Firewall -- What are they?

Discus and support Protocol numbers? -- setting in Windows Firewall -- What are they? in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; In Windows Firewall 'Outbound Rules', 'Thunderbird Properties', _/Protocols and Ports\_, 'Protocol type: [Custom]' & 'Protocol number: [?]': What are... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by MarkFilipak.Windows, Nov 16, 2018.

1. Protocol numbers? -- setting in Windows Firewall -- What are they?

In Windows Firewall 'Outbound Rules', 'Thunderbird Properties', _/Protocols and Ports\_, 'Protocol type: [Custom]' & 'Protocol number: [?]':

What are the Protocol numbers for SMTP & POP? for SMTPv2? for SMTPv3? for POP3?
    (...Actually, I didn't know there was such a thing as protocol number...)

Regarding POP, if ports are used instead of protocols -- I believe there's no way to block ports, only to enable ports -- I know that POP uses port 110. Is POP3 port 995?

Regarding SMTP, is SSL (port 465) a protocol? Is STARTTLS (port 587) a protocol? I don't think so, but if I enable only those ports (plus ports 110 & 995), will that suffice for an email client?

What about SMTPv2? What about SMTPv3?

...I searched for answers of course, but I think this 'Protocol number' thing is a Windows thing, not a real thing. Do you have a reference (or a link)?

:)

MarkFilipak.Windows, Nov 16, 2018

2. Best free AV and firewall

Can Windows Firewall block outgoing connections yet? If not, it's one step above useless.

Look into Online Armor for a free firewall.

Deusxmachina, Nov 16, 2018
  3. windows firewall question

yes i am sure i am having no issues with a router. this is at my work. and i only have issues with the windows 7 firewall.

as for adding ports, i do it the same as what is listed in your picture.

THRiLL KiLL, Nov 16, 2018
  4. Anne Fuj Win User

Protocol numbers? -- setting in Windows Firewall -- What are they?

Firewall

Hello,

It is recommended to turn on your Firewalls to prevent your computer from unauthorized access and being vulnerable. Based on your issue description, it looks like you wanted to turn off Windows Firewall. To turn off Windows Firewall, kindly follow the steps
    below:

• On Start, scroll down to Windows System > Control Panel > System
      and Security
      > Windows Firewall.
    • Select Turn Windows Firewall on or off. You might be asked for an admin password or to confirm your choice.
    • Under the appropriate network setting, select Turn on Windows Firewall.
      • Note: If your PC is connected to a network, network policy settings might prevent you from completing these steps. For more info, contact your .administrator

Let us know if you need further assistance.

Anne Fuj, Nov 16, 2018
Thema:

Protocol numbers? -- setting in Windows Firewall -- What are they?

1. Protocol numbers? -- setting in Windows Firewall -- What are they? - Similar Threads - Protocol numbers setting

2. what is media transfer protocol

in Windows 10 Gaming
    what is media transfer protocol: Can't get photos from iphone 13 to PC https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/what-is-media-transfer-protocol/e045dbdf-af74-4a7b-9ba0-69aeb98215bf
  3. what is media transfer protocol

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    what is media transfer protocol: Can't get photos from iphone 13 to PC https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/what-is-media-transfer-protocol/e045dbdf-af74-4a7b-9ba0-69aeb98215bf
  4. What type firewall is Windows Firewall?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    What type firewall is Windows Firewall?: I'm trying to figure out why an app KDE Connect doesn't recognize other devices. Part of the troubleshooting depends on the firewall type--ufw or firewalld. Which type is Windows Firewall?Thanks....
  5. What type firewall is Windows Firewall?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    What type firewall is Windows Firewall?: I'm trying to figure out why an app KDE Connect doesn't recognize other devices. Part of the troubleshooting depends on the firewall type--ufw or firewalld. Which type is Windows Firewall?Thanks....
  6. What type firewall is Windows Firewall?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  7. Windows Firewall allowing all ports and protocols

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows Firewall allowing all ports and protocols: Hello.I have a question.If I add a rule for Port Protocol UDP and I allow all of them. Then I add a rule for Port Protocol TCP and I allow all of them.Means that I've actually disabled the Firewall?Do these rules override all the others?If so then to me it seams a security...
  8. Windows firewall cannot be set as the default firewall

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows firewall cannot be set as the default firewall: Hi.Problem description:- I has some problem with Defender firewall and when I'm trying to run troubleshooter from https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/automatically-diagnose-and-fix-problems-with-windows-firewall-513e9cf8-19ae-d579-2092-d5e64fe06f5fI receive the...
  9. Netsh Advanced Firewall command to set ttl for a specific IP, Protocol, Port not global

Netsh Advanced Firewall command to set ttl for a specific IP, Protocol, Port not global: Does Microsoft advanced firewall support a NETSH command to set ttl/hop count not global ttl but packet header ttl for a packet as it leaves the server? Linux iptables mangle rules can be used to set the following values: ttl, tos, mtu, tcpmss, mark, secmark, connsecmark...
  10. firewall settings

firewall settings: I want to know how I can allow "coreldraw2017 whats the font" to be used on my desktop, it is being blocked by my firewall. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/firewall-settings/af29a469-3dbb-4fe3-bf7c-4a820edeabb3"

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows protocol numbers

2. protocol number defender firewalls

3. Windows firewall Protocol number

4. windows firewall protocol numbers,
  5. what is protocols and ports in firewall setting,
  6. windows protocol number