Windows 10: Proxy Explorer window search function does not work

Discus and support Proxy Explorer window search function does not work in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; As the title implies, the search function on the Explore window does not work but only when Explore is being used by another program to open a file.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Abe07, May 26, 2016.

1. Abe07 Win User

Proxy Explorer window search function does not work

As the title implies, the search function on the Explore window does not work but only when Explore is being used by another program to open a file. That is a if I were to open Explore by itself I can search just fine. If on the other hand I open up a program and the program has an "Open" function, which brings up Explore the search option within Explore, Explore does not work.

This problem is only affecting the two video players that I have installed MPC-HC and VLC. I have tried uninstalling clearing "program data", "app data", and running registry cleaner, and the problem persist. There is no commonality with the programs being affected aside from both being video players.

I can't pull up any information about this problem from web search engines because it always gets mixed up with Explore Search not working in general.

:)

Abe07, May 26, 2016

2. Unyielding Cortana search

Cortana does not return proper results when it comes to searches related to Settings (like "proxy settings"). Also, the search function in the settings app does not work. Please help.

MukundramM, May 26, 2016
  3. grantlock Win User
    search function in People does does not work......

After a major update to windows 10 this sunday (11.19.2017) my search function for People no longer works....when I go to the specific entry it is in the People/ contacts database, I can see it in outlook but when I search for it in the search dialogue box
    it always displays 'No Results'...I went and got all the latest updated from Microsoft and loaded those....is there anything else I can do?? this just started after the windows update.

Moved from: Outlook.com / People and contacts / Other

grantlock, May 26, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

Hello, I think this may be because search in that context may be limited to which folders you actually have indexed (you can check/change that in Control Panel, Indexing Options).

So, I find search as you say does nothing if the Open dialogue has a non-indexed folder open, but works if I choose one which is indexed.

No one claimed Windows search is entirely rational. Another oddity, apparently, assuming what I've seen is consistent.

dalchina, May 26, 2016
  5. Abe07 Win User
    I checked that before asking here. The folder in question was indexed. I can also search that folder with other programs. I can't search other folders with the programs in question.

Abe07, May 26, 2016
  6. dalchina New Member
    So I think you are saying that search from your open dialogue box from e.g. VLC player does not work even if the folder open has been indexed (whereas from most other programs it does). You have confirmed search in explorer (of the same folder) works. I find that search from an open dialogue box from VLC player does work provided the folder open has been indexed.

Sorry, I can add no more. Perhaps someone else may have an idea.

dalchina, May 26, 2016
  7. Abe07 Win User
    After rebuilding the index cache, which did not solve the problem, I found a some what ok solution. The Open window has a dialog for file type, which is set to video files in both VLC and MPC HC. If I set it to "All files (*.*)", the search function works properly. I tested this out in other programs, some of them have the dialog set to "All files (*.*)" by default, but some of them don't and they still work.

Well regardless of that, this has sort of clued me in to what might be going on.

Programs register their file type usually on installation, which is something MPC does not do, I think. I have MPC set as my default video player, and VLC as back up. MPC has a an option to register all file types that it can play. This includes audio files. I don't want windows to default to MPC when playing audio files, so I usually opt out of associating all file types. This means that MPC is not registering all of it's known file types. MPC's Open window defaults to "All Media" file type. but index does not recognize all of MPC file types. VLC is my back up so I don't associate file types with it.

I am rebuilding index cache right now, hoping this will be solved.

UPDATE:
    Not working, however setting the dialog to specific file types other than "All Media" seems to work. Which I am guessing means "All Media" includes a specific file type which is not registered.

Abe07, May 27, 2016
  8. dalchina New Member

Hi, strange, I know I tried that before; trying it again with vlc player, search works in any folder- indexed or not- in the open dialogue, provided as you say All files is selected. Which is actually reasonable.

Note that defaults are not set from within programs (from Win 8). VLC player is one of the very few that gives a warning about that.
    This can be very confusing e.g. for people coming from win 7.

dalchina, May 27, 2016
  9. Abe07 Win User
    Yeah I have known about this. However programs are allowed to register their file type used to generate a global list, which the index program uses. I am guessing that it is related to that, or alternatively the file type dialog in the Open Explorer window, which seems to be generated by the particular program that uses it.

There is an open ticket for file association in Windows 10 in the MPC HC forums, although none about search function.

Does the "media files..." options in the file type dialog of Open for VLC work when you try to search? I am referring to the option highlighted in red BTW.

Proxy Explorer window search function does not work [​IMG]

Abe07, May 27, 2016
  10. dalchina New Member
    Yep- I get the expected drop-down with All files at the bottom.

(And if a registered program is installed that can open extensions whose association is already established, that gives rise to the extraneous 'Open With' prompt which people understandably find annoying when they have already set the association).

dalchina, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Proxy Explorer window search function does not work - Similar Threads - Proxy Explorer window

2. Search function in Explorer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Search function in Explorer: When I search in Explorer for something, i get a list of the files which contain that search item. However, I need to know in which folder those files are and I can't see any way of establishing that without actually opening the files. I want to be able to establish in which...
  3. Search function in Explorer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Search function in Explorer: When I search in Explorer for something, i get a list of the files which contain that search item. However, I need to know in which folder those files are and I can't see any way of establishing that without actually opening the files. I want to be able to establish in which...
  4. Search function in Explorer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Search function does not work properly

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Search function does not work properly: When I use the search function from the start menù it shows only a tiny fractions of all the result. It is completely broken. In particular it seems impossible to search in the C:/Program Files.How can I solve? I don't have any directory in the "exception"part, I don't have...
  6. Search function does not work properly

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Search function does not work properly: When I use the search function from the start menù it shows only a tiny fractions of all the result. It is completely broken. In particular it seems impossible to search in the C:/Program Files.How can I solve? I don't have any directory in the "exception"part, I don't have...
  7. Search Function in Windows 10 File Explorer Does Not Work

in Cortana
    Search Function in Windows 10 File Explorer Does Not Work: I get zero results from any search done directly in the search box in Windows file explorer. If instead I use the search box on the task bar to search for documents, that action copies the search into the search box in file explorer. The search then begins, but because it is...
  8. Search Function Does not Work in Windows 10

in Cortana
    Search Function Does not Work in Windows 10: I have an unanswered followup question in another string, but it seems starting a new question may get results. For about a month, the search function in File Explorer and Win + S and Contana have not worked - I cannot type in the search box. Based on the number of...
  9. Calculator functionality does not work in Windows Search

in Cortana
    Calculator functionality does not work in Windows Search: Hello! In Windows Search Win key + S the calculator, currency converter and other capabilities does not work for me.When I say it for Cortana it works, but in most cases typing would be better. Cortana is enabled and running, but somehow it does not integrate with Search....
  10. Windows Explorer search functionality not working

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows Explorer search functionality not working: Cannot get result when we do a simple file search. Some times it keeps loading and sometimes get blank result https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-explorer-search-functionality-not-working/d81249cd-84b1-40db-98c1-561d30d0537c