Windows 10: PSA: If your file explorer is slow, your drive is failing. Backup asap.

Discus and support PSA: If your file explorer is slow, your drive is failing. Backup asap. in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I noticed that when I clicked on folders, it took longer than usual for the list to get populated. Usually, it's instant. But I could see the green... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/zacce, Feb 4, 2021.

1. /u/zacce Win User

PSA: If your file explorer is slow, your drive is failing. Backup asap.

I noticed that when I clicked on folders, it took longer than usual for the list to get populated. Usually, it's instant. But I could see the green line gradually filling up in the address bar, when changing folders.

My drive isn't fully dead yet so I'm copying the files to a new drive now. But it's super slow (<1mb/sec). I can now hear grinding(?) sound from the HDD every 1.5 seconds.

Any tip to speed up recovering the data?

submitted by /u/zacce
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/zacce, Feb 4, 2021

2. My pc was fast as a cheetha, now its slow as a turtle

lol ok, that's alright then! Anyways, you're still getting slowness after that eh?

hmm, looks like a failing hard drive to me, i suggest checking if it's under warranty and if so, backup all your data and get it replaced asap. If it ain't under warranty, buy a damn new one then. lol

Peace *Rockout :rockout:

«BladE|==|, Feb 4, 2021
  3. Windows 10 file explorer very slow (working on it...) issue

This seemed to help. Time will tell. It certainly is more helpful and practical than the suggestion to end toe Explorer task and start a new one.

SamMcSpadden, Feb 4, 2021
  4. Geekoid Win User

Using network hard drive for backup

It depends what sort of backup you want to do. If you're happy just backing up regular files, then there are a bazillion (really, that many!) different bits of freeware to do that. There is a good list here:

Download Back Up Tools for Windows - MajorGeeks

and pretty much all of them can do network backups. Some even have fancy options like encryption. Really, the most useful thing is just being able to schedule them and know they ran OK.

You may also want to make a system image backup too, and you'll find that software in the very same list.

I don't have Windows 8 as yet, so I'm afraid I can't suggest any for that platform. Personally, I use Clonezilla for image backups.

Geekoid, Feb 4, 2021
Thema:

1. PSA: If your file explorer is slow, your drive is failing. Backup asap. - Similar Threads - PSA file explorer

2. I need your help!!!!! Asap!!!!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I need your help!!!!! Asap!!!!: I have tried to log in with my pin number and it doesn't work at all now I see that says Challenge Phrase I don't know what my challenge phrase is because I am deaf and I saw that before I am stuck right that I needed to log in with pin number that I know what is my pin...
  3. I need your help!!!!! Asap!!!!

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I need your help!!!!! Asap!!!!: I have tried to log in with my pin number and it doesn't work at all now I see that says Challenge Phrase I don't know what my challenge phrase is because I am deaf and I saw that before I am stuck right that I needed to log in with pin number that I know what is my pin...
  4. File Explorer slow when backup hard drive online

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File Explorer slow when backup hard drive online: All three of the main drives in my computer are SSD, but I recently purchased an external 14 TB BestBuy EasyStore hard drive WD rebrand for backups with EaseUS.Windows File Explorer takes 15 seconds or more to open while the backup drive spins up from sleep. If the backup...
  5. File Explorer slow when backup hard drive online

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File Explorer slow when backup hard drive online: All three of the main drives in my computer are SSD, but I recently purchased an external 14 TB BestBuy EasyStore hard drive WD rebrand for backups with EaseUS.Windows File Explorer takes 15 seconds or more to open while the backup drive spins up from sleep. If the backup...
  6. PSA: Don’t put your lightning cables into your USB ports

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    PSA: Don’t put your lightning cables into your USB ports: I tried to see what happens if a lightning cable (a cable to charge an iPhone) is plugged in via the Lightning connector rather than the USB end. Upon doing that the computer got killed by the cable. On the first restart it gave me a BSOD before booting up completely. Then...
  7. Reconnect your drive, Your File History drive was disconnected for too long

in Windows 10 News
    Reconnect your drive, Your File History drive was disconnected for too long: [ATTACH]It is very important to always keep the important files on your computer backed […] This article Reconnect your drive, Your File History drive was disconnected for too long first appeared on TheWindowsClub.com. read more...
  8. Backup your PC with File History is a joke

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Backup your PC with File History is a joke: I selected Start/Settings/Update & Security/Backup/Add a drive. It said No drives available. Why doesn't it know I have OneDrive installed ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/backup-your-pc-with-file-history-is-a-joke/eb8f1656-74f8-45fc-9db3-88d8722ebbcc
  9. backup your contextmenu

in Windows 10 Support
    backup your contextmenu: After every upgrade , I have to manage my contextmenu again , some items appear/dissappear , sometimes it takes a lot of time to re-organize the contextmenu the way it was , the way I want it to look............ So , Im looking for a program ( portable ?) which can make an...
  10. Backup fails with "check your backup"

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Backup fails with "check your backup": Surface 3 128GB with 128GB microSD card External empty 3TB WD hard drive formatted as NTFS Configured backup to backup both the internal SSD and the microSD card, total used about 100GB. Backup repeatedly fails with: Check your backup The last backup did not complete...