Windows 10: PSA: KB5003173 installation fails if Chromium Edge has been removed

Discus and support PSA: KB5003173 installation fails if Chromium Edge has been removed in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; I thought I'd mention this as I see others here have uninstalled Chromium Edge. The latest Windows 10 cumulative update KB5003173 will fail to install... Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by xtcrefugee, May 12, 2021.

1. PSA: KB5003173 installation fails if Chromium Edge has been removed

I thought I'd mention this as I see others here have uninstalled Chromium Edge. The latest Windows 10 cumulative update KB5003173 will fail to install if you've previously removed Chromium Edge. You'll need to reinstall Edge from https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/edge (scroll down to the Using Windows Server? link on that page to download the installer). I guess unfortunately uninstalling Edge isn't really viable if it's going to break updates like this, but you can possibly still use the group policy files from here to prevent background updates, and EdgeDeflector still works with Chromium Edge to force Edge-specific links to open in your default browser.

:)

xtcrefugee, May 12, 2021

2. Edge Chromium

Hi All,

* We have installed edge chromium 84.0.522.63 offline installer and it has upgraded the inbuilt microsoft edge.

* Current edge chromium 84.0.522.63 got upgraded automatically after an update edg chromium 86.0.622.38 has got installed from windows update.

*But this time once the update got installed, it has created duplicate edge chromium shortcut on the task bar.

*we have unpinned the second one manually but after restart it has come back again.

*One thing we noticed it that, when we launch the edge (edge chromium) browser, the duplicate edge chromium shortcut on the task bar is getting removed by itself..

*but once the device is restarted, we can see the edge chromium duplicate shortcut is back.

we can see inconsistent behaviors here with the edge chromium.

*Please check and help about how to get this duplicate task bar edge chromium shortcut removed permanently.

Karthikeyan Mathan, May 12, 2021
  3. Jsssssssss, May 12, 2021
  4. PSA: KB5003173 installation fails if Chromium Edge has been removed

Remove Chromium

Hi,

Thank to contact us.

Option 1. To remove Chromium through the All Programs list, do the following:

Click on the Start Menu, and then choose All Programs.

Click on the Chromium folder, and then choose Uninstall Chromium.

Click Uninstall in the confirmation dialog box.

Option 2. To remove Chromium using the Control Panel, do the following:

Open the Control Panel, and then choose Uninstall a program.

Choose Chromium from the list of programs, and then click on the Uninstall button at the header of the list.

Click Uninstall in the confirmation dialog dialog box.

To clear your computer of Chromium bookmarks, browsing history, and cookies, do the following:

Click on the Start Menu in the Windows taskbar, and search for Folder Options.

Click on Folder Options, and under the View tab. enable Show hidden files, folders, and drives.

Go to Computer/Local Disk (CPSA: KB5003173 installation fails if Chromium Edge has been removed :)/Users/(your username)/AppData/.

Open the Local and Roaming folders, and if you see a Chromium folder inside either of them, remove it.

If you had another issue please let me know.

Angel

AngelCarreno, May 12, 2021
Thema:

PSA: KB5003173 installation fails if Chromium Edge has been removed

1. PSA: KB5003173 installation fails if Chromium Edge has been removed - Similar Threads - PSA KB5003173 installation

2. KB5003173, has been removed from my update queue

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    KB5003173, has been removed from my update queue: Windows 10 Pro - Version 20H2 (OS Build 19042.928) Howdy Folks My Group Policies WU - being set for 'Notify for Download and Install' - has held KB5003173 in queue since it first appeared. This morning it is gone. Is there any word on MS recalling this update? TIA for...
  3. KB5003173 Fails to Install With Error Code 0x80070002

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    KB5003173 Fails to Install With Error Code 0x80070002: Windows update detects and downloads the update normally, install appears to proceed normally as well and computer reboots but Windows Update history shows this update as failed with error code 0x80070002. I've searched online and I see some people have failed installs of...
  4. KB5003173 update failed

KB5003173 update failed: Bottom line: KB5003173 failed with error code 0x8007010bOther two May updates for .net installed OK.Details: I let my PC do the updates. After two hours, my PC just had a black screen with the spinning dots. I pressed the power button didn't have to hold and my PC...
  5. Edge Chromium Extensions - Installing

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Edge Chromium Extensions - Installing: Hi, We have a third party extension I need to install into Edge, it works in Chrome but for some reason having an issue installing and enabling it in Edge Chromium. The CRX files in located in C:\Program Files (X86)\..\.. as we are not using the Google store etc.. Has...
  6. Edge Chromium

in Windows 10 Customization
    Edge Chromium: Hi All, * We have installed edge chromium 84.0.522.63 offline installer and it has upgraded the inbuilt microsoft edge. * Current edge chromium 84.0.522.63 got upgraded automatically after an update edg chromium 86.0.622.38 has got installed from windows update. *But...
  7. Does anyone have this tasks dropdown on Chromium Edge as well, or has it not been...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Does anyone have this tasks dropdown on Chromium Edge as well, or has it not been...: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/Anti_Lag [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/g85o90/does_anyone_have_this_tasks_dropdown_on_chromium/
  8. Edge Chromium?

in Browsers and Email
    Edge Chromium?: Will Edge Chromium be pre-installed in future Windows 10 releases? Or, will it have to be installed manually? 154811
  9. Edge Chromium

in Browsers and Email
    Edge Chromium: Greetings, I am using the Edge Dev edition. I notice that the Stable edition is available. Two questions: -is there any advantage to moving to Stable? -if so, do I have to move my data, settings and extensions manually from Dev to Stable? Thanks, Graham 149521
  10. Offline installer for Chromium Edge

Offline installer for Chromium Edge: Hello. I have a computer that has an air gap to the world, but I still have need of Chromium Edge. Where can I find an offline installer? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/offline-installer-for-chromium-edge/806ab7c7-cf1c-47d3-9dd4-35ea5dae06d6