Windows 10: .PSD thumbnails not showing in explorer?

Discus and support .PSD thumbnails not showing in explorer? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I use Windows 10, but ever since upgrade from XP to windows 7, PSD thumbnails are not showing in windows explorer, as jpg and gif does. Tried this... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Mark5, Oct 20, 2015.

1. Mark5 Win User

.PSD thumbnails not showing in explorer?

Mark5, Oct 20, 2015
  2. dragoeco Win User

How to disable all thumbnails (docx, pdf, xlsx...) on Windows 10 except for images (jpg, png, etc.)

Hi,

Is there a way to disable all thumbnails (docx, pdf, xlsx...) on Windows 10 except for images (jpg, png and psd(Photoshop))?

Thanks.

dragoeco, Oct 20, 2015
  3. AndyDeGro Win User
    Thumbnail support for Adobe Applications within Windows Explorer

I was looking for possible solutions to this thumbnail issue and found
    Ardfry PSD codec

The PSD codec is supported on Windows 10, Windows 8.1, Windows 8, and Windows 7.

According to its website, it can display thumbnails for:

• Adobe Photoshop PSD PSB and Adobe PhotoDeluxe PDD files
    • EPS files with embedded screen representations and thumbnail metadata
    • most Adobe Illustrator AI files
    • InDesign INDD files from CS2 and later that were saved with preview images
    However, there is a catch. The download comes with a 15-day trial but full version costs $19.95.

UPDATE:

There is a better and free (as in open-source) option -
    Sage Thumbs

I suggest tweaking Sage Thumbs options to set needed file types, set maximum file size, and maybe turn off its custom context menu. As a bonus, Sage Thumbs options allow restoring Windows Image and Fax viewer as default image viewer on Windows 10.

AndyDeGro, Oct 20, 2015
  4. .PSD thumbnails not showing in explorer?

Thumbnails for formats that Windows does not natively support are supplied by a handler, either this handler is not installed on your system or its associations have been damaged. I believe the handler also needs to be 64-bit if your system is 64-bit, as with other explorer shell extensions.

If you're using Photoshop, check you have the 64-bit version installed if you are running a 64-bit version of Windows. If you have upgraded Windows, the associations may have been damaged and so you may need to re-install Photoshop. Another solution is to install an alternative thumbnail hander, Media Preview may possibly support PSD files now I remember it being mentioned as an upcoming feature a while ago.

xtcrefugee, Oct 20, 2015
  5. Mark5 Win User
    I have win 10 x64 pro and Photoshop CS6 x64

Mark5, Oct 20, 2015
  6. Sorry my mistake, apparently Photoshop does not install a handler, so you'll definitely need a third-party one for PSD thumbnails. Popular options seem to be SageThumbs (free) and Ardfry (paid).

xtcrefugee, Oct 20, 2015
  7. Mark5 Win User
    OK, I remember psd thumbs worked in windows XP, also thumbs for 3dsmax files. Is that mean that windows stopped supporting them? I didn't used any 3rd party software for this purpose.

Mark5, Oct 20, 2015
  8. .PSD thumbnails not showing in explorer?

I don't get any thumbnails for PSD files in an XP VM, so they weren't supported by the OS out of the box. Maybe Photoshop installed a thumbnail handler in XP but Adobe chose not to provide one for 7 and above.

xtcrefugee, Oct 20, 2015
  9. ARC1020 Win User
    It's because there isn't a PSD codec for Windows (at least not an official one from Adobe and it's unlikely they're going to make one available either, as it's been this way for years now).

I can't think of any reason to use PSD's instead of TIFF's anyway. So if you don't have many PSD's, convert them all to TIFF's and use TIFF's from now on. If you already have a lot of PSD's and don't want to convert them all, then unfortunately you'll have to resort to trying to find (trustworthy) third-party PSD codecs if you want thumbnails. Or alternatively use Bridge to browse PSD's.

ARC1020, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

.PSD thumbnails not showing in explorer?

1. .PSD thumbnails not showing in explorer? - Similar Threads - PSD thumbnails showing

2. .psd files won’t display as thumbnails

in Windows 10 Gaming
    .psd files won’t display as thumbnails: I’m looking for an app that will display .psd files as thumbnails in File Explorer. I installed Sagethumbs to do this but I didn’t have a positive result. Some files displayed and done did not. Additionally, my .ai files are now without their branded Adobe icons. Looking for...
  3. .psd files won’t display as thumbnails

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    .psd files won’t display as thumbnails: I’m looking for an app that will display .psd files as thumbnails in File Explorer. I installed Sagethumbs to do this but I didn’t have a positive result. Some files displayed and done did not. Additionally, my .ai files are now without their branded Adobe icons. Looking for...
  4. Explorer not showing thumbnails.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Explorer not showing thumbnails.: Recently I noticed Windows 10 Explorer was becoming very slow. I followed some online advice to try and rectify this stupid of me - should have come here first. Now many thumbnails are not showing in Explorer. I would really appreciate any help....
  5. File explorer thumbnails not showing.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File explorer thumbnails not showing.: Recently file explorer stopped showing the thumbnails and showed a white file in its place. I tried going into view and changing the settings but it was all normal. [ATTACH]...
  6. Thumbnails not showing in file explorer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Thumbnails not showing in file explorer: I don't know if this is still happening to anyone else but recently all the thumbnails/icons for my files are not showing up. It happened either late last night or earlier today out of the blue and nothing is working to fix it. Does anyone know any methods to fix the issue?...
  7. Explorer Seeking Forever / Thumbnails not showing

in Windows 10 Support
    Explorer Seeking Forever / Thumbnails not showing: Hi there, At first i had a thumbnail issue where explorer would keep running the green bar and it would be slow, and wouldn't be able to pull up thumbnails. So i did sfc scan, cleared thumbnail cache, did DISM, checked for malware. All no problem. After clearing the...
  8. File Explorer is not showing thumbnails

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    File Explorer is not showing thumbnails: My Canon camera has the updated firmware. When I downloaded to the PC and opened the File Explorer, I saw just icons rather than thumbnails. It is Canon RP file extension cr3. Other file extensions show thumbnails. How to solve this problem??...
  9. File Explorer not showing thumbnails

in Windows 10 Support
    File Explorer not showing thumbnails: My file explorer is not displaying thumbnails ( as it was earlier) instead it is showing default program icon ( windows photo viewer, set as default for all pictures) for all picture files like jpgs, bmps. When I browse folders containing pictures. at first it displays...
  10. .PSD preview icons in File Explorer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    .PSD preview icons in File Explorer: I hope this is the right category to put this. So, anyway, when I have JPG, PNG, GIF images, i can see the preview image without having to actually open the file in a program. Well, with .PSD (photoshop), all i get is an icon with .PSD on it. Is there a way to tweak...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 thumbnails psd

2. windows explorer not showing thumbnails in phone mtp