Windows 10: PTT and TPM - My PC can't see either

Discus and support PTT and TPM - My PC can't see either in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I have a Dell XPS 8900. In the BIOS I have activated PTT Security which from what I can tell is the virtualized equivalent of TPM. However, while... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Ian P. Campbell, Jun 24, 2021.

1. PTT and TPM - My PC can't see either

I have a Dell XPS 8900. In the BIOS I have activated PTT Security which from what I can tell is the virtualized equivalent of TPM. However, while Device manager sees it, but says that there is a problem with it code 10, tpm.msc can't see it at all. I'm trying to get ready for the insider preview of Windows 11, but this seems to have me stopped in my tracks. Any help appreciated!

:)

Ian P. Campbell, Jun 24, 2021

2. Reset TPM failed, resulting in slow login (have PTT not TPM)

I have a Lenovo Ideapad 710s. It has Intel PTT (Platform Trust Technology) rather than a dedicated TPM chip.

I got a Windows security center alert telling me that I needed to reset my security processor (clear TPM), so I did, clicking the "clear and restart" button. My computer rebooted, but I didn't get any prompt about clearing the TPM, and when I got to the
    Windows 10 cover screen and clicked to get to the login screen, it took about 2 minutes for the login boxes to appear. It now does this every time I reset the computer. Further, the TPM security alert is still there, so the reset failed.

I have checked my bios and it's the latest version. I went into the bios to double-check that I don't have TPM, and the only related security option is one to turn PTT on or off. And when I go to tpm.msc, it verifies that this computer doesn't have TPM.

I don't really care about whether my PTT/TPM gets cleared, I just want my login screen to stop taking so long to appear. Please help!

Thanks,

Sarah

NachiTaisha, Jun 24, 2021
  3. ARC1020 Win User
    Verify Trusted Platform Module (TPM) Chip on Windows PC

Something I came across not long ago, is Firmware-based Trusted Platform Modules (fTPM). Whereas before in order to take advantage of a TPM you needed to have a physical TPM chip soldered to the motherboard, that seems to have changed at some point. You can now have either a Discrete TPM (Physical chip) or Firmware-based TPM.

As per THIS article, fTPM is acknowledged by the Trusted Computing Group (TCG) as a perfectly valid form of TPM and seems to perform much the same functions as a physical TPM. For Intel, their fTPM is called Intel Platform Trust Technology (PTT). I don't know what chips/motherboards/BIOS support PTT, however due to it being Firmware based (as the name suggests) and not requiring a separate physical chip, it means for some devices it's possible to retrospectively add a TPM to devices that didn't have one before.

Looking through the Intel NUC list, it's not just 6th gen Skylake NUC's that it's supported on, but also 5th gen Broadwell NUC's and 4th gen Haswell NUC's too. So if you have a NUC and you have the latest BIOS, then the chances are you have a TPM 2.0 module even if you didn't think you did. You just need to enable 'Intel Platform Trust Technology' in BIOS. As previously mentioned, I don't know what other manufacturers support/will support fTPM too.

The Intel Platform Trust Technology (PTT) setting in Intel VisualBIOS:

PTT and TPM - My PC can't see either [​IMG]

With Intel PTT on in BIOS, Device Manager and tpm.msc show a TPM 2.0 module installed.

ARC1020, Jun 24, 2021
  4. Geneo Win User

PTT and TPM - My PC can't see either

Geneo, Jun 24, 2021
Thema:

PTT and TPM - My PC can't see either

1. PTT and TPM - My PC can't see either - Similar Threads - PTT TPM can't

2. HDD not appearing in Disk Management and about TPM 2.0./PTT

in Windows 10 Gaming
    HDD not appearing in Disk Management and about TPM 2.0./PTT: HiI have 2 notebooks, an old Asus [Windows 10 64 bit] & Dell Inspiron 5570, 2018 version, Windows 10 64 Bit, both with latest Windows Updates & Asus drivers I could find for the oldie & all Dell's available updates.I have 3 HDDs, all from diverse old notebooks, which via an...
  3. HDD not appearing in Disk Management and about TPM 2.0./PTT

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    HDD not appearing in Disk Management and about TPM 2.0./PTT: HiI have 2 notebooks, an old Asus [Windows 10 64 bit] & Dell Inspiron 5570, 2018 version, Windows 10 64 Bit, both with latest Windows Updates & Asus drivers I could find for the oldie & all Dell's available updates.I have 3 HDDs, all from diverse old notebooks, which via an...
  4. HDD not appearing in Disk Management and about TPM 2.0./PTT

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. PC can't boot. can't install Windows 10 either!

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    PC can't boot. can't install Windows 10 either!: Hello, a few days ago i turned on my PC and my wallpaper was black and i couldnt use the taskbar. as i restarted it did automatic repairs, check disks and all that. ive tried them again and again and none of them have unfortunately worked and at times gave me a BSOD with the...
  6. "Firmware TPM - Enables PTT in SkuMgr. Discrete TPM - Disables PTT in SkuMgr. Warning!...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    "Firmware TPM - Enables PTT in SkuMgr. Discrete TPM - Disables PTT in SkuMgr. Warning!...: Hello,I have been having trouble with upgrading to Win11. It says that I don't have TPM 2.0 enabled and I have to enable it from my BIOS.I have a few questions:1. If my TPM device selection settings at Advanced -> PCH-FW Configuration have always been on "Discrete TPM", will...
  7. "Firmware TPM - Enables PTT in SkuMgr. Discrete TPM - Disables PTT in SkuMgr. Warning!...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    "Firmware TPM - Enables PTT in SkuMgr. Discrete TPM - Disables PTT in SkuMgr. Warning!...: Hello,I have been having trouble with upgrading to Win11. It says that I don't have TPM 2.0 enabled and I have to enable it from my BIOS.I have a few questions:1. If my TPM device selection settings at Advanced -> PCH-FW Configuration have always been on "Discrete TPM", will...
  8. Enabling PTT

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Enabling PTT: I have a 7700k, how can PTT be enabled.I've looked through every option in my motherboards BIOS and can find to option to enable PTT.Initially i contact ASUS the motherboard manfacturer for options for enabeling TPM when they have advised that TPM isn't available but PTT...
  9. Can't see Networked External Hard Drive on either of my two computers

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can't see Networked External Hard Drive on either of my two computers: Hello, I am trying to share my External WD Hard Drive between my two computer so that I don't have to keep unplugging it and switching it between PCs. Both of my computers use Windows 10 and they are both plugged in using two Cat5 cables which are plugged into my Network...
  10. Reset TPM failed, resulting in slow login (have PTT not TPM)

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Reset TPM failed, resulting in slow login (have PTT not TPM): I have a Lenovo Ideapad 710s. It has Intel PTT (Platform Trust Technology) rather than a dedicated TPM chip. I got a Windows security center alert telling me that I needed to reset my security processor (clear TPM), so I did, clicking the "clear and restart" button. My...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. ptt turned on Windows cant see

2. cannot enable ptt in bios

3. dell ptt cant on

4. lenovo enable intel ptt