Windows 10: Public Desktop Folder Name

Discus and support Public Desktop Folder Name in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; "Under users\Public Folder I have a folder with the name of : "Desktop" Should that Be "Public Desktop"? In the Desktop folder there is a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by CalGeorge1, Jan 12, 2020.

1. Public Desktop Folder Name

"Under users\Public Folder I have a folder with the name of : "Desktop"

Should that Be "Public Desktop"?

In the Desktop folder there is a "Desktop.ini" file which contains:

[.ShellClassInfo]

LocalizedResourceName=@%SystemRoot%\system32\shell32.dll,-21799

I looked up 21799 in a program and it says Shell32.dll gives "Public Desktop"

Should I be seeing "Public Desktop" or "Desktop"?

:)

CalGeorge1, Jan 12, 2020

2. Duplicate Public Folders

Hope this helps someone identify the problem.

• Q: What happens when you delete the duplicate folders?
    • A: Nothing. They're successfully deleted.

• Q: Does it happen to all of your folders or only those with pictures?
      • A: Only the default Public Folders (Documents, Pictures, Music, Videos).
      • A: All of the Public Folders have customized folder icons.
      • A: The above image shows yellow, empty folder icons (duplicates).

• Q: Any steps you've tried to troubleshoot this issue?
      • Actually, this has been a problem since Windows 7.
      • What I noticed then is that certain Windows programs created the duplicates:
        • Windows Media Player (stopped using)
        • Internet Explorer (stopped using)
        • Plus others, which I can't recall.
      • Only certain programs for Windows 10, as well:
        • Microsoft Edge (don't use it often)
        • Groove Music (never intentionally use it)
        • Plus others, which I haven't tracked.
          • I only notice it when I go to Public Folders.
          • By then, I've long since forgotten what was accessed.
      • I've googled for answers but most of those only address
        moving the Public Folders to another Drive.

PQSC.Programmer, Jan 12, 2020
  3. Pictures Folder was renamed to Public Desktop

I had something similar. I created a "Desktop" folder on the Desktop itself to hold my mess of files and icons that accumulate on my Desktop over time. Apparently, I had moved a desktop.ini file into my "Desktop" folder which caused my "Desktop" folder
    to automatically rename itself to "Public Desktop". That messed up the path for all of my recent files and caused a huge headache.

Solution: I went into "Public Desktop" and deleted the desktop.ini file. Once that was done, I renamed "Public Desktop" back to "Desktop" and all was well with the world again.

Hope that helps whoever reads this.

mustang025, Jan 12, 2020
  4. scopio Win User

Public Desktop Folder Name

Moving Public Folder to another drive

I have been asked to install an HDD in a church pc which only has a 224GB SanDisk SSD which is running out of space.
    The problem I can foresee is that the church uses an application called SongPro which insists to install in the C:\Users\Programs File (x86) and the data files in the
    C:\Users\Public\SongPro5 folder and does not give the option to be installed software
    on another drive.
    I have searched the web if and how the Public folder can be moved to another drive and found that it can be done using the following steps;

1. COPY (don’t MOVE) the C:\USERS\PUBLIC folder to a different disk or partition
    2. Click the START button and type REGEDIT (not case sensitive) and press enter
    3. Expand HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > SOFTWARE > MICROSOFT > WINDOWS NT > CURRENT VERSION > PROFILE LIST
    4. Double click on PUBLIC
    5. Correct the path
    6. Reboot the PC
    7. Go to C:\USERS\PUBLIC and delete everything
    Can someone here please confirm if the SongPro software is installed in C:\Users\Programs File (x86) (the SSD) and the path Public\SongPro5 folder moved to another folder will work?

Public Desktop Folder Name [​IMG]

scopio, Jan 12, 2020
Thema:

Public Desktop Folder Name

1. Public Desktop Folder Name - Similar Threads - Public Desktop Folder

2. Windows shortcuts from Public Desktop folder not showed in Windows Explorer Desktop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows shortcuts from Public Desktop folder not showed in Windows Explorer Desktop: Hello dear, i allow myself to ask you here, i've this "bug" on every Windows OS 11 / Server When you put some shortcuts in the Public\Public Desktop folder, it's correctly going on the Desktop on the user But when we are using the "Desktop" shortcut from "This PC" in "Windows...
  3. Windows shortcuts from Public Desktop folder not showed in Windows Explorer Desktop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows shortcuts from Public Desktop folder not showed in Windows Explorer Desktop: Hello dear, i allow myself to ask you here, i've this "bug" on every Windows OS 11 / Server When you put some shortcuts in the Public\Public Desktop folder, it's correctly going on the Desktop on the user But when we are using the "Desktop" shortcut from "This PC" in "Windows...
  4. Desktop folder now named Downloads

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Desktop folder now named Downloads: This is how the problem arose:1. I reformatted my HDD2. I installed Windows 73. I upgraded to and installed Windows 10 cleanly4. I was using Microsoft Edge to download drivers and programs and what not5. I wanted to change the destination of downloads to the Desktop6. I read...
  5. Desktop folder now named Downloads

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Desktop folder now named Downloads: This is how the problem arose:1. I reformatted my HDD2. I installed Windows 73. I upgraded to and installed Windows 10 cleanly4. I was using Microsoft Edge to download drivers and programs and what not5. I wanted to change the destination of downloads to the Desktop6. I read...
  6. Rename original folder name Desktop

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Rename original folder name Desktop: Somehow, I installed windows in Portuguese and later changed to English. My desktop folder as the alias name "Desktop" but the original name still is "Ambiente de trabalho" in Portuguese. Normally this works fine, but some of the software I use example Goodsync uses the...
  7. Moved Desktop folder merged with Public Desktop folder by mistake

in Windows 10 Support
    Moved Desktop folder merged with Public Desktop folder by mistake: Hello So my friend tried the location of the personal folders like document and downloads, etc, but the whole thing got messed up and everything was named documents. And the real personal folders were redirected to the Public folder and not the original user one. So I played...
  8. RENAME OF DESKTOP FOLDER NAME

RENAME OF DESKTOP FOLDER NAME: Hi, My computer language is English and all folder names are English, but Desktop folder is shown as 'Masaustu' in Turkish language. How can I change the 'Masaustu' folder name to 'Desktop'? Thanks. [ATTACH]...
  9. sharing Public folder

sharing Public folder: I have upgraded an old Vista machine to W10. The old machine can read the shared Public folder on my base computer (W10). The new W10 computer can't find the Public folder. I've made all the suggested settings for sharing, but the Public folder from the base computer can't be...
  10. User's Name Desktop Folder changed it's name to "Folders"

in Windows 10 Customization
    User's Name Desktop Folder changed it's name to "Folders": I have a problem with my User Folder. Actually the User Folder name is fine, but when you add the Folder on the desktop (with the option on Personalize + Themes) it changed it's name to "Folders" I've tried creating new users, but every new user I create, no matter how...