Windows 10: Public or Private Changing

Discus and support Public or Private Changing in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Going nuts again! My puters that are ok with what is told on the net is correct. But, one is not, I click on properties when I bring up connections,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by ken1943, Jul 19, 2020.

1. ken1943 Win User

Public or Private Changing

Going nuts again! My puters that are ok with what is told on the net is correct. But, one is not, I click on properties when I bring up connections, does not bring a way to change the profile. 2004 must have changed something again. This is WFi which should mean nothing.

If you search for changing to public or private, you will see what I mean

:)

ken1943, Jul 19, 2020

2. Change Network from Public to Private

Hi,

Thank you for your interest in Windows 10.

I suggest you to follow the steps below to
    change your network from Public to Private:

• Type PowerShell in Search Window and then right click on it and click on
      Run as Administrator.

• Type the following command to find your interface Index:
      Get-NetConnectionProfile

• Use your interface index (for example 5) with this command:
      Set-NetConnectionProfile -InterfaceIndex 5 -NetworkCategory Private

• Now reboot the device and check if the network has changed from Public to Private.
    Hope this information is helpful. Please do let us know if you need further assistance, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Giridhar J, Jul 19, 2020
  3. Stud_1946 Win User
    How to change the network setting (Private, public, etc)

this answer from a different Microsoft page worked for me

Public or Private Changing [​IMG]
    Giridhar
    J
    replied on

• Microsoft

Accomplishments

• Microsoft

Hi,

Thank you for your interest in Windows 10.

I suggest you to follow the steps below to
    change your network from Public to Private:

• Type PowerShell in Search Window and then right click on it and click on
      Run as Administrator.

• Type the following command to find your interface Index:
      Get-NetConnectionProfile

• Use your interface index (for example 5) with this command:
      Set-NetConnectionProfile -InterfaceIndex 5 -NetworkCategory Private

• Now reboot the device and check if the network has changed from Public to Private.
    Hope this information is helpful. Please do let us know if you need further assistance, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Stud_1946, Jul 19, 2020
  4. Public or Private Changing

Changing Network from Public to Private

To use these steps to set a network to public or private, your PC must be running Windows 10 Version 1709.

To see which version of Windows 10 your device is currently running, select Start, then select Settings > System > About

To change a Wi-Fi network to public or private:

- Select Start, then select Settings > Network & Internet > Wi-Fi

- Select Manage known networks, select the network you want to change, and then > select Properties.

- Under Network profile, select Public or Private.

Taken from:

Make a Wi-Fi network public or private in Windows 10

Gianni1962, Jul 19, 2020
Thema:

Public or Private Changing

1. Public or Private Changing - Similar Threads - Public Private Changing

2. Public or Private

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Public or Private: I have a PC on my network connected via Ethernet, should I set the network profile to Public or Private? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/public-or-private/b5726991-3097-48a7-8942-a09107bd04d3
  3. changing WIFI from public to private

changing WIFI from public to private: win 10 is saying NOT CONNECTED TO NETWORK but I can go to YOUTUBE and every where else except in my own lan I went to settings....where there is supposed to be an option to pick public or private network BUT THE OPTION IS NOT THERE I have researched the internet inclubing...
  4. Network changed from Private to Public

Network changed from Private to Public: I have windows 10 version 1803 now my wifi network connection shows public not private so I can not get to the internet. HELP https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/network-changed-from-private-to-public/503943f0-a5e9-483e-b1ef-a964d4e99178
  5. Public to Private

Public to Private: Can't switch from public to private with 1083 build. Is there a solution? I've tried some from the internet, none worked. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-networking/public-to-private/19e102bf-9b7f-43d5-8d3b-affc260109c3
  6. How to change public network to private

How to change public network to private: My wife's laptop jumped into public network mode yesterday for no known reason. I remember that it happened to my desktop last year, and I found instructions online showing how to change it back. So yesterday we searched online and she found the secpol.msc method. I...
  7. How to change public network to private

in Windows 10 Support
    How to change public network to private: My wife's laptop jumped into public network mode yesterday for no known reason. I remember that it happened to my desktop last year, and I found instructions online showing how to change it back. So yesterday we searched online and she found the secpol.msc method. I...
  8. Can't change from public to private

Can't change from public to private: I've two refurb Dels running windows 10 1709. I initially hooked up to my home Wifi for software and windows registration but the machines will be used in a charity horse show office offline. Removed the USB Wifi for the rest of the work. Need to connect for printer sharing...
  9. Private or Public

Private or Public: I just noticed in Windows defender My network is listed as public. Does it matter if my network is listed as private or public. I found how to change it if I have to. I just want to know if it matters. I don't know if this has anything to do with it or not. In the network box...
  10. Change Network from Public to Private

Change Network from Public to Private: So I have Windows 10 up and running...How do I change my home Wi-Fi from Public networks to Private? I also want to join my homegroup however cannot seem to figure it out.... Thanks 12023