Windows 10: Public or Private

Discus and support Public or Private in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have a PC on my network connected via Ethernet, should I set the network profile to Public or Private?... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by PvMan01, Dec 24, 2020.

1. PvMan01 Win User

Public or Private

I have a PC on my network connected via Ethernet, should I set the network profile to Public or Private?

:)

PvMan01, Dec 24, 2020

2. Change Network from Public to Private

Hi,

Thank you for your interest in Windows 10.

I suggest you to follow the steps below to
    change your network from Public to Private:

• Type PowerShell in Search Window and then right click on it and click on
      Run as Administrator.

• Type the following command to find your interface Index:
      Get-NetConnectionProfile

• Use your interface index (for example 5) with this command:
      Set-NetConnectionProfile -InterfaceIndex 5 -NetworkCategory Private

• Now reboot the device and check if the network has changed from Public to Private.
    Hope this information is helpful. Please do let us know if you need further assistance, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Giridhar J, Dec 24, 2020
  3. PatA& Win User
    Changing wifi settings from public to private

I have seen the same question being asked with the same answer that apparently does not exist: I want to change my WiFi connection from public to private. The suggestion I keep seeing is:

1. On the right side of the taskbar, select the Wi-Fi network icon.
    2. Under the name of the Wi-Fi network that you’re connected to, select
      Properties
    3. Under Network profile, select Public or
      Private
    Well I am running WIndows Home version 1903 and there is no link called
    Network profile
    where I can select between Public or
    Private

PatA&, Dec 24, 2020
  4. Winuser Win User

Public or Private

Private or Public

I just noticed in Windows defender My network is listed as public. Does it matter if my network is listed as private or public. I found how to change it if I have to. I just want to know if it matters. I don't know if this has anything to do with it or not. In the network box on the task bar it only shows my wi-fi connections and not my wired connection. I'm connected by wire to the router. I'm using build 10162 upgraded from Windows 8.1.1.

Winuser, Dec 24, 2020
Thema:

Public or Private

1. Public or Private - Similar Threads - Public Private

2. How is possible both public and private networks are simultaneously showing being active?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How is possible both public and private networks are simultaneously showing being active?: Newest windows was download via update two days ago, now this is happening. And yes, I checked and my "public" choice is still my chosen selected network. My VPN is listed with the active private network, and the usual network 2 is listed for the public network I prefer...
  3. How is possible both public and private networks are simultaneously showing being active?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How is possible both public and private networks are simultaneously showing being active?: Newest windows was download via update two days ago, now this is happening. And yes, I checked and my "public" choice is still my chosen selected network. My VPN is listed with the active private network, and the usual network 2 is listed for the public network I prefer...
  4. Why does Cast to Device show up several times in firewall on both public and private domains?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why does Cast to Device show up several times in firewall on both public and private domains?: My firewall shows cast to device serval times? Why is this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-does-cast-to-device-show-up-several-times-in/749c8c8b-5405-4d8b-a34c-a4b0a778c453
  5. Why does Cast to Device show up several times in firewall on both public and private domains?

Why does Cast to Device show up several times in firewall on both public and private domains?: My firewall shows cast to device serval times? Why is this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-does-cast-to-device-show-up-several-times-in/749c8c8b-5405-4d8b-a34c-a4b0a778c453
  6. Could I get a Straight answer re: Private vs Public network?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Could I get a Straight answer re: Private vs Public network?: Hi. I've googled the question I'd like to get a Straight answer to my question: Should I have my Windows 10 desktop PC set to Private or Public, and which setting would provide the best level of security?However, no matter how I word my Question, what normally comes up are...
  7. Could I get a Straight answer re: Private vs Public network?

Could I get a Straight answer re: Private vs Public network?: Hi. I've googled the question I'd like to get a Straight answer to my question: Should I have my Windows 10 desktop PC set to Private or Public, and which setting would provide the best level of security?However, no matter how I word my Question, what normally comes up are...
  8. Could I get a Straight answer re: Private vs Public network?

in Windows 10 Customization
  9. Networks in Win 10 labeled Public but are Private

Networks in Win 10 labeled Public but are Private: I have Win10 Home Ver 10.0.19045 Build 19045 I have my xfinity network switched to Private but am running into trouble with switching my VPN from Public to Private. I've been attempting to install GPEdit.msc, and I haven't had the chance to check out windows firewall which...
  10. Networks in Win 10 labeled Public but are Private

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Networks in Win 10 labeled Public but are Private: I have Win10 Home Ver 10.0.19045 Build 19045 I have my xfinity network switched to Private but am running into trouble with switching my VPN from Public to Private. I've been attempting to install GPEdit.msc, and I haven't had the chance to check out windows firewall which...