Windows 10: Public Sharing

Discus and support Public Sharing in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have three machines on a wired home network, all running Windows 10 1909. All three are part of the same Workgroup, all three have Public Sharing... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Jim Simon 2112, Jan 1, 2020.

1. Public Sharing

I have three machines on a wired home network, all running Windows 10 1909. All three are part of the same Workgroup, all three have Public Sharing turned on, yet Istill can't get this to work properly. Machine's One and Two won't show any other connected machines. Machine Three will show itself and One, but not Two. It also allows access to my user account folders, which Idon't want. Only the Public folders should be shared.

Can anyone help?

:)

Jim Simon 2112, Jan 1, 2020

2. Public documents sharing

My question is how do other computers see it as homegroup window does not list public folders?

I know how to put files into public it is the next step that I am not understanding in setting up the network/computers etc to see the public folders.

I have spent a day trying to understand/working out how to do this it is not obvious as the homegroup page only shows library folders that I do not want to share.

So how do I get the homegroup to show public folders?

peterprewett, Jan 1, 2020
  3. sharing Public folder

I have upgraded an old Vista machine to W10. The old machine can read the shared Public folder on my base computer (W10). The new W10 computer can't find the Public folder. I've made all the suggested settings for sharing, but the Public folder from the
    base computer can't be found on the new machine. How do I do this?

DavidWilson505, Jan 1, 2020
  4. Public Sharing

Public documents sharing

Hi Peter,

I will be glad to help you with the issue you have sharing only public documents.

Move the files or folders that you want to share into the \Public folder.

The \Public folder is kind of a big cookie jar for everybody who uses your PC: Put a file or folder in the \Public folder so that all the other people who use your computer can get at it.

The \Public folder is available to other people in your HomeGroup, if you have one, but you have little control over who, specifically, can get at the files and folders. (HomeGroups make it easier to set up sharing among Windows computers on a network.)

Here’s how to move a file into one of the Public folders:

• Start File Explorer.

If you’re on the desktop, tap or click the icon down on the Taskbar that looks like a file folder. If you’re on the Start screen, click the tile for the desktop, then choose File Explorer.

• Navigate to the folder or file that you want to put in one of your Public folders. Right-click it (or tap and hold) and choose Copy.

Public Sharing 394943.image0.jpg

• Here’s the tricky part. You want to navigate to the folder \Public\Music.

To do so, on the left, double-click or tap This PC then, near the bottom of the list, double-click on Local Disk (CPublic Sharing :). Double-click on Users, then Public, then Public Music.

The Public folders are all hidden well away.

• Press Ctrl+V or right-click and choose Paste to paste the folder into the Public Music folder.

From that point, anybody who has access to my Public Music folder can play the songs on the album.
    Files and folders in the \Public folder may also be accessible to other computers connected to your network, workgroup, or domain, depending on various network settings.

Thank you.

Ruth Buruga, Jan 1, 2020
Thema:

Public Sharing

1. Public Sharing - Similar Threads - Public Sharing

2. Can you fix public file sharing in windows 11?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can you fix public file sharing in windows 11?: Trying to create a backup of my windows 11 computer using File history. I gave Everyone permission to use the drive and file separately following the exact procedure I learned in my Windows Client Configuration class. I literally threw the text book at this issue and no...
  3. Can you fix public file sharing in windows 11?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can you fix public file sharing in windows 11?: Trying to create a backup of my windows 11 computer using File history. I gave Everyone permission to use the drive and file separately following the exact procedure I learned in my Windows Client Configuration class. I literally threw the text book at this issue and no...
  4. How to open in File Explorer a OneDrive public shared folder ?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to open in File Explorer a OneDrive public shared folder ?: Hi,How can I access in File Explorer this OneDrive public shared folder: https://1drv.ms/u/s!AjhBd_jsyzaBgYEkJ7iSGCqoUK2XNA?e=kKawIHI can see it online after entering the password. But I do not see how to access it from my Windows 11 pc. Regards...
  5. How to open in File Explorer a OneDrive public shared folder ?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to open in File Explorer a OneDrive public shared folder ?: Hi,How can I access in File Explorer this OneDrive public shared folder: https://1drv.ms/u/s!AjhBd_jsyzaBgYEkJ7iSGCqoUK2XNA?e=kKawIHI can see it online after entering the password. But I do not see how to access it from my Windows 11 pc. Regards...
  6. how do i access the shared folder by using my public ip address any method please??

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    how do i access the shared folder by using my public ip address any method please??: Sorry for my EnglishI have a shared folder in my server which ip address is 192.168.0.xx and also i have a public ip adress.so how do i access the shared folder by using my public ip address any method please??...
  7. Network sharing available for public folders, but not private folder. Password Protected...

Network sharing available for public folders, but not private folder. Password Protected...: Hi. I have tried to get help from Microsoft regarding this issue to no avail. I have 2 microsoft laptops, both running the most updated version of windows 10. They are on the same network. They are both visible in the other file explorer. I can access the public folders...
  8. Sharing Public Folders on windows 10

Sharing Public Folders on windows 10: I have asked this before and have not received any replies. I'll try again. I have spent over 6 hours on this issue and have read and tried all the standard file/folder sharing solutions. I have a basic WIRED home network. 3 dell computers, 2 running windows 10 pro and 1...
  9. How do i share a folder across the public internet Windows 10 Pro

How do i share a folder across the public internet Windows 10 Pro: I have 2 computers 1 running windows 10 Pro and 1 running windows 10 home I would like to share a folder on the Pro machine and map a drive to it from the home PC across the public internet. Please help....
  10. Accessing shared '\\PCName\Users\Public' Prompts Network Credentials

Accessing shared '\\PCName\Users\Public' Prompts Network Credentials: This is a very strange annoyance. Whenever I initially try to access the public folder on a networked PC named 'WiRNS' from any other PC, I'm presented with this 'Network Credentials' prompt: [img] Note that it already says in red, "The user name or password is incorrect"...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 how to share only the public folders exchange mail

2. windows 10 sharing public folders not working mail