Windows 10: Public vs Private networks and how to change it from the default of Public for privacy...

Discus and support Public vs Private networks and how to change it from the default of Public for privacy... in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; My network is set to Public but I am afraid that outside parties can use it, if it is set that way. I only use a desktop computer, tablets and cell... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by TerryReichle, Oct 25, 2019.

1. Public vs Private networks and how to change it from the default of Public for privacy...

My network is set to Public but I am afraid that outside parties can use it, if it is set that way. I only use a desktop computer, tablets and cell phones on my network and want to share a multi-function printer between them. How can I change this to a "Private" network and will I lose any funcitons by doing that?

:)

TerryReichle, Oct 25, 2019

2. Change Network from Public to Private

Hi,

Thank you for your interest in Windows 10.

I suggest you to follow the steps below to
    change your network from Public to Private:

• Type PowerShell in Search Window and then right click on it and click on
      Run as Administrator.

• Type the following command to find your interface Index:
      Get-NetConnectionProfile

• Use your interface index (for example 5) with this command:
      Set-NetConnectionProfile -InterfaceIndex 5 -NetworkCategory Private

• Now reboot the device and check if the network has changed from Public to Private.
    Hope this information is helpful. Please do let us know if you need further assistance, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Giridhar J, Oct 25, 2019
  3. Changing Network from Public to Private

To use these steps to set a network to public or private, your PC must be running Windows 10 Version 1709.

To see which version of Windows 10 your device is currently running, select Start, then select Settings > System > About

To change a Wi-Fi network to public or private:

- Select Start, then select Settings > Network & Internet > Wi-Fi

- Select Manage known networks, select the network you want to change, and then > select Properties.

- Under Network profile, select Public or Private.

Taken from:

Make a Wi-Fi network public or private in Windows 10

Gianni1962, Oct 25, 2019
  4. Public vs Private networks and how to change it from the default of Public for privacy...

Public versus Private network mystery

Hi,

Thank you for the information! Windows 10 network default is Public. If I take a laptop which is set to private to a public place, will it default to public. If not, then a laptop should never be set to private. No-one is going to change it from private
    to public in a public place.

If my laptop is set to public, can I print with it at home?

Thanks,

Joe

jdelaney77, Oct 25, 2019
Thema:

Public vs Private networks and how to change it from the default of Public for privacy...

1. Public vs Private networks and how to change it from the default of Public for privacy... - Similar Threads - Public Private networks

2. Networking,, ? Public vs. Private vs. VPN

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Networking,, ? Public vs. Private vs. VPN: Net Networking: For my lifetime of web surfing, configurations, re configurations, downloading, etc, etc,,. Up till this point. there was never a question of which net work was the most stable and secure. Its definatly a new era in computation, as VIRTUALLY increaceing in the...
  3. private vs public

private vs public: Hopefully, this is a minor question. I have two computers sharing a single wireless access point. One is set to private domain. The other is set to public. I believe this is the reason why they cannot see each other and share files. For the computer that is set to public, I...
  4. Public vs Private

Public vs Private: I am confused between Public and Private. I used my computer at home. For internet, to play online games, for browsing. Normal stuff. I don't work outside the home. I have DSL. So far Windows 10 has me on a Homegroup. I don't know if that's good or bad. Remember - I...
  5. Network changed from Private to Public

Network changed from Private to Public: I have windows 10 version 1803 now my wifi network connection shows public not private so I can not get to the internet. HELP https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/network-changed-from-private-to-public/503943f0-a5e9-483e-b1ef-a964d4e99178
  6. How to change public network to private

How to change public network to private: My wife's laptop jumped into public network mode yesterday for no known reason. I remember that it happened to my desktop last year, and I found instructions online showing how to change it back. So yesterday we searched online and she found the secpol.msc method. I...
  7. How to change public network to private

in Windows 10 Support
    How to change public network to private: My wife's laptop jumped into public network mode yesterday for no known reason. I remember that it happened to my desktop last year, and I found instructions online showing how to change it back. So yesterday we searched online and she found the secpol.msc method. I...
  8. change network location from public to private

change network location from public to private: Hi guys I am running a laptop with windows 10 , so how do I change the network profile from public to private . thanks 86368
  9. Change Network from Public to Private

Change Network from Public to Private: So I have Windows 10 up and running...How do I change my home Wi-Fi from Public networks to Private? I also want to join my homegroup however cannot seem to figure it out.... Thanks 12023
  10. How to change network connection from Public to Private?

How to change network connection from Public to Private?: Does anyone know how to change the network from Public to Private in build 9926? It's defaulting to Public with network discovery turned off, etc, and I'd like to change it to Private. 3685